What is the difficulty level of HL Economics?

dartagnaneb

I wouldn't call it an easy subject personally, but that's largely because I'm not particularly good at essay writing under timed conditions. I would agree with the above posts that the content isn't particularly difficult though. There's a lot to cover, but a lot of ideas are repeated across topics and tend to be fairly intuitive. The HL extensions aren't notably more difficult either, there's just more ideas to juggle around when evaluating, etc (the maths paper, is really just a question of learning the formulas).

• 4 weeks later...

Wow.. I wished I felt the same way about HL Economics as everyone that has commented above me D:

Maybe it's because I prefer sciences over humanities, but I just feel like there's way too much to remember lol. All those graphs that you have to draw, all the definitions, reasons/explanations you have to provide TAT it's too much!! But yeah, that's just how I see it. In class, it's easy to do well and get good grades because you go by topics. But during the exams, you have to know everything and that's just daunting for me.

This question always comes up again and again along with how hard is Math HL? and how worthless is Math Studies?..

Taking Economics HL online was definitely the best decision I made during IB, however I don't think it was the easiest subject I had (Psychology came more naturally and English was a pleasure most of the time) but in hindsight I can't believe what a good decision it was to take it.. Even though a lot of the material didn't really inspire me (in fact it bored me to death most of the time) it still made me realize that there are aspects of Economics that I really enjoy, which is why I'm pursuing a degree in International Business & Politics (containing a looot of Econ). I was predicted 7 from the first semester, but I am not going to sit here and write that it's the easiest class in the world because my online course was FILLED TO THE BRIM of VERY intelligent students from around the world, most of which were taking Math HL (and other serious subjects alike) yet I was the only person in my Econ class to get a 7 this July.. and a lot of people failed during the semesters, it was a huge struggle for many. I guess if you just don't get the concepts then it's hard. I definitely recommend pursuing the subject though.

Edited by Babydolleyes