What's your theme?

robertomx

I was brainstorming months ago and came up with the idea of Innocence. Showing how it varies, what it is; generic ideas. It's either that or Fashion and I think the theme of innocence has more breadth to it, considering I'm also a fan of literature.

• 1 month later...

I'm SL A, and at this point, it looks like my theme is going to be something along the lines of mathematical form and precision. Looking through this thread, it doesn't seem to be in the realm of commonly chosen topics, which I guess may go over well with the IB graders. I'm still uncertain, though, because I don't know how much of my work will be able to be my actual drawings and paintings, which are something I still want to do. Also, is it okay to use technical knowledge in my art? Because I don't want to do a piece about the Mandelbrot set or something and then not have the examiner have a clue what they're looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't decided yet, but I was considering doing the third culture, which would be a focus on people who grew up in countries other than their own and don't have a clear answer to "Who are you," or "Where are you from?" It was an interesting idea but I'm about to scrap it. Hopefully I can come up with a better theme early enough to really get a cohesive collection of studio work, though!

I haven't decided yet, but I was considering doing the third culture, which would be a focus on people who grew up in countries other than their own and don't have a clear answer to "Who are you," or "Where are you from?" It was an interesting idea but I'm about to scrap it. Hopefully I can come up with a better theme early enough to really get a cohesive collection of studio work, though!

why are you scrapping it? I love it! I wrote my dissertation on whether 3rd culture kids are more prone to adopt a European Identity (well the European ones) than a national identity. it was really interesting to study!

I say stick to it... one of your pieces should be interviews of all the different TCKs in your class or something! that would be fascinating

why are you scrapping it? I love it! I wrote my dissertation on whether 3rd culture kids are more prone to adopt a European Identity (well the European ones) than a national identity. it was really interesting to study!

I say stick to it... one of your pieces should be interviews of all the different TCKs in your class or something! that would be fascinating

Aw, really? I was just really unsure of where I was going to go with it, or how I was going to expand on anything. But you're making me rethink forgetting about it! :sadnod: I might do a few exploration pieces and see if I can go anywhere with the theme, and if I like it, maybe it'll all work out. Your idea about the interviews is really good btw, I could use quotes from different TCKs in the background of a portrait or something! :)

(On another note... yay for Arab world IB students! *high five*)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in IB2 now, doing HL A. I don't have a theme yet, exactly--no one in my class does. Our teacher just told us to do whatever and come up with a theme later. In my case, a theme is actually starting to emerge from my work: urban landscapes and depictions of urban society.

• 2 months later...

I already changed my theme like three or more times... I started from THE CITY "TISSUE" considering everything that comes to my mind when thinking of a city.

Then I thought of a theme called "RE:USABLE" which was about to show anything made from material used before. Let's call it recycling...

But now I decided to do "AROUND THE WORLD: HOW MULTICULTURAL ARE WE?" -wide one. I'm going to concentrate on people. I travel a lot and have many memories and photos which I could use for my exhibition. I have this problem with choosing because I want to do everything :P

I'll be doing fashion, or if I have to do something a bit more specific I'll probably be doing something like fashion and society or literature in fashion..

I'm planning on recreating a fashion designers whole process and then just theoretically exploring the phenomenon of fashion.

Same here. I'm making all my fashions branch off of Japanese culture.

• 2 weeks later...

My theme is short and simple sounding, but actually rather complex: COFFEE

So I'm looking into the cultural background and history of coffee, the effects of coffee on society and on individuals, the problems coffee production and coffee consumption can cause, etc.

• 2 years later...