What's your theme?

robertomx

I was wondering, what's everyone's theme for visual arts?

Mine: The Universe and men through time and feelings.

sounds interesting, but it ended up sucking. Haha. So anyways, what's yours?

hahahaha why did it end up sucking??

mine is victorian and edwardian fashion with a modern influence

but i think that is likely to change TT i have to present it next year though

you out of school yet?

I think so many people have suggested emotion as a theme but its so broad and so cliche, your work needs to give emotions not be bound by one or it tends to feel watered down and too meloncholy. <if you think about it as a music album too much of the exact same thing sounds boring, it has to come straight from you and have creativity and originalty but hit hard and have passion XD

• 1 month later...

One of my friends had a theme relating to war. I cannot remember exactly but it was something about how war is inevitable and he somehow portrayed that particular aspect in his art XD He got a predicted 7 in his HL art course, so must have been pretty good.

• 1 month later...

my teacher made me pick topics that were based on contemporary issues, on the news or something, that related to a specific culture that fit into the theme he gave to the class. So I wasnt really given much of a choice. I ended up doing something on the loss of traditional values in Japan and also something on gypsies and how “outsiders have projected onto Gypsies their own repressed fantasies and longings for disorder.” Although my teacher has told me that my topics aren't 'deep' enough.. or something..

• 1 month later...

I started this year the IB, I first started with "Hopes and Dreams" but then I decided to change to "landscapes". Even though my teacher says I need to pick something more specific, I think I better stay something I have more options on creating pieces.

I started this year the IB, I first started with "Hopes and Dreams" but then I decided to change to "landscapes". Even though my teacher says I need to pick something more specific, I think I better stay something I have more options on creating pieces.

well, mine is also about hopes and dreams which I narrow it down to dreams in faces, and my focus is the eyes, I'm learning to draw some cat eyes now... Huhu~

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I am not sure I will be taking Visual Arts, but If i do my possible themes are the following:

Greek Mythology

Harry Potter

Nature and its destruction

Musical Pieces

I was told that technical skill doesn't matter as much as having a meaning behind thw work. I am not sure all of those themes would have a meaning behind the work that I could explain to an examiner.

Any ideas?

My theme is fashion, I started working on the basic things like designing some shoes or just illustrating fashion week, and them moved onto how culture and fashion is linked .. how trends work etc.

Love my theme because it's such a great excuse to keep following the fashion blogs and rereading the history of fashion and generally interpreting all art through the fashion lenses that I see everything with :rofl: - and also because of the extremely various techniques I have been working with, photo, illustration, video, sculpturing ...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay so im going into IB this upcoming year and im doing IB art.

I think i have an idea of what my theme is going to be. I think its going to be Norway's culture and language and any other things i can find to incorporate into my peices.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea? Bad idea?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking visual arts standard level

my theme is "defying gravity", I deal with its artistic meaning (like circus performers or dancers or stuff that defy gravity) and also the cultures that go against normal, like the gipsy culture or the hippies

what do you think ?

Okay so im going into IB this upcoming year and im doing IB art.

I think i have an idea of what my theme is going to be. I think its going to be Norway's culture and language and any other things i can find to incorporate into my peices.

What do you all think? Is it a good idea? Bad idea?

I, personally, love this idea! For AP art, I focused on folk art and one of my favourites was the Norwegian folk art style of Rosemaling and I think you could use it as a tie into many of your pieces and add a particularly brilliant design quality that other cultural concentrations may lack. I'm slightly biased since I am very attached to the style but I suggest you definitely go for it. :D

My concentration is Psychology, because I love it so much. I've divided it into foundations/theory/history and processes/behavior/development/abnormal/etc. and painted a huge tree with roots to use as my focal point for my exhibit in which I will create pieces below as "roots" and pieces above as the "branches". I'm rather excited to continue on with it!