Thinking about dropping down to studies

Sophia

Hello,

I am currently taking maths standard but am finding it quite difficult. I wonder if I should drop down to studies as this would probably get me a higher grade. I want to study either politics and Arabic or international relations and Arabic. Will math studies really affect me with getting into university for these courses?

There are a few universities that don't accept studies (German uni's in particular), but otherwise it shouldn't be an issue in terms of applications. I don't see how maths would be relevant to either courses anyways, so I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are, it'll put you at an advantage with a higher overall grade.

You should go for it. The topics in which you are interested in don't use too much Math so I doubt they will ask you Math SL as a required course to get in. If you find that you can work through it (with some effort though) you should stay, as some universities can give you advanced standing for your courses (again, I'm not really sure if the careers you are interested in require general Math).

You could just check the requirements for some universities you have in mind and then come up with a solution.