Hi.

I have reached the 2nd year of IB and during my summer holidays (which I am currently having) I am supposed to start my extended essay.

The topic that I have chosen is "Perfect Competition" in Economics (HL), and my research question is "What would be the impact of perfect competition among the multi-retail businesses in India due to the arrival of foreign giants like Walmart?".

My doubts are:-

1. Is this even a valid RQ?

2. Are retail businesses a perfectly competitive market?

Thanks.

1. It's way too broad. Market structure is a common topic among Economics EE's and these EE's usually achieve high grades if done well, but you need to localize your research and deal with firms in your vicinity.

2. You can't automatically assume that multi-brand retail businesses in India are operating under perfect competition.

Hey, I though of another RQ, it is on the market structure "MONOPOLY".

RQ: "What would happen to small retail shops if foreign giants such as Walmart enters the competition and form a monopoly and what would happen to lower class people?"

Reword the RQ. It's all fine and dandy, but the way you word it makes the one reading it think about a hypothetical discussion. Instead of using "what would happen" use "how has", this signals that you are evaluating something ongoing or current event that may have had some effect on something. You may also use it to find out to what extent a certain market, for example, can be thought of as a monopoly/perfect market/ etc.

hey cn yu pl help me wid my ee topic.the topic i hve decided is the effect of appreciation in the dollar in some commercial area in indore...bt which commercial area should i take such that the documents are easily available to me. pls help