Computer Science HL Paper 1 TZ2

micogo

Hey guys.

Discussion about Paper 1!

I think all the questions were pretty straightforward. I found it weird, though, that it was all theory, and no Java whatsoever! I'm guessing they kind of fused this exam with the new syllabus.

I only found the boolean expression quite ridiculous. I don't know why they felt compelled to write it in such a way. I could figure out which symbols were AND, OR and NOT, but that way of expressing it definitely wasn't in the syllabus. My teacher told me that they shouldn't have written it like that, as well.

I was also wondering what you guys responded with to the first question? It asked about two methods of direct entry. I said entry from sensors and analogous data, though I don't think I obtained both marks with that answer.

:)

Yeah, it was pretty weird, but easy as a result :P

Umm my book says direct data entry is stuff like scanners, OMR, OCR? That's what I wrote anyway.

Also, the boolean expression, I hope they cancel it cause it's unfair to those who don't know the symbols. I didn't either, but I hazarded a guess considering that U is or in sets and the upside down U is and, so I figured the V was and and the upside down V was or (which it turned out it was). However, I evaluated the expression like a normal boolean expression, but I realised after the exam: maybe we were supposed to evaluate it in terms of colours, using the values we found in the truth table earlier?

Wow, I didn't think of that. Maybe that's why they made us draw the truth table with the different colour outcomes beforehand. I don't think that's the case though - and like you said, they should definitely cancel the marks for the sake of that type of boolean expression not being in the syllabus. Anyway, for that question I just simplified it using a Karnaugh map and left it there.

Wow, I didn't think of that. Maybe that's why they made us draw the truth table with the different colour outcomes beforehand. I don't think that's the case though - and like you said, they should definitely cancel the marks for the sake of that type of boolean expression not being in the syllabus. Anyway, for that question I just simplified it using a Karnaugh map and left it there.

Exactly, even I didn't think of the colours till after but it makes sense. I used normal Boolean algebra, so I used Demorgan's law and I basically got 1 + a lot of other stuff = 1 (since A + 1 = 1). So my final answer was 1, though I'm pretty sure that's wrong I felt I couldn't do it any other way :S

I got (not)R + R and (not)G and (not)B, and my teacher said it was right, but forget about it, I'm pretty sure they'll give those marks for free.

Ah, I got something similar, and since R + notR = 1, I got 1 + xyz = 1. But yeah, like you said, forget about it :P