A quicker way of achieving Standard Deviation?

Yap

Hi!

I just checked an old Math Studies test and there they tell me, at the first question, to find the Standard Deviation... However, the question is only worth one point which for some reason got me to think if the effort I would have put into it really would have been worth it, and I thought, perhaps there is a quicker way to gain Standard Deviation than I know of? Because the way I do it is tedious.

That's why I ask you, is there a quick way of finding a Standard Deviation?

using ur GDC.

Create a list (L1) and (L2). L1 is the list and L2 is the frequency.

Press STAT, CALC, 1-Var Stats, Fill in L1,L2 (in the old version) or it will give u prompt telling u the options, the Standard Deviation is the alpha sign it looks like an a next to it an x (ax)

• Like 1

Ah, Thanks!

Edit: but it doesn't seem to work. I'm doing the exam from Nov 2011 question 1bii.... And the answer is incorrect when doign so... I might be doing something wrong but my

L1 L2

25 30

55 46

65 22

75 12

85 8

95 2

My Answer becomes

Standard Deviation is 24.83 or 22.67 depending on which one of them you were looking at... The alpha one was 22.7... But answer says 19.2

Edited by Yap

I have checked multiple times over and over again and it's the same...

Lets See if Im doing this right...

First I click Stat, Enter to Edit the L1 and L2

In the way above

Then I click Stat again, go to CALC, click 1 var Statistics

Edit: Perhaps it is my calculator checking L2 and L3 or something? But I dont have anything in L3 or so only L1 and L2..

Edited by Yap

I have totally different values.. It's hard to help over the internet when I don't see your calculator, maybe you could ask a friend or teacher tommorow. Besides, don't you get a school calculator for the exam, that can be working properly ;d

Ashashdha!

I think I god it! I will write this for any future students who might be in the same place as me

The Idea was not to write it like this:

L1 L2

25 30

55 46

65 22

75 12

85 8

95 2

But to only use L1

And simply write the frequency inside it, like

L1

(Continue with this untill you got thirty 25)

Then, you continue with writing fourtysix 55s

etc..

etc.

Switch to 65s, where it was 22 65s, then you write 22 65s

Then when you are done, use 1 Var Statistics

etc... Hope this is correct! Never got to learn this method in class oO

I will also like to thank Maereth and Adhamhusein(lol) for trying to help me!

Edited by Yap

Yeah... That seems to be the only option for me as the other one doesn't seem to work... but Idk.... I will check with my classmates tomorrow morning if they know anything...

@Lilianna, what do you mean :o?

Also, it should be degree, right? (Not Radians)

Edited by Yap

Note that I am assuming you're using a CASIO GDC. In the maths studies course, we only use degrees. Make sure it says 'Deg' besides 'Angle' in the setup (accessible by pressing SHIFT+MENU).

What Lilianna was trying to say, is that you should make sure you have set up the VAR correctly. Go to the STAT part of your calculator, press CALC (should be F2). In the lower right corner, you should see 'SET.' Press F6 to access SET. Here you see some lines that refer to how the 1VAR and 2VAR is calculated. We are apparently concentrating on 1VAR for your task. 1VAR XList should always be set to 'List1'. 1VAR Freq is either on '1' or a list, most usual is the List2. If it does not say 'List2' now, press down and make sure you have marked that line. Then, press F2. Press the number of the list in which you have written the frequency in the STAT main page (I'd be surprised if this is not List2), and press the number for that list now (for instance, for 'List2', press '2').Press Exe twice. Press '1VAR' (F1) and check the standard deviation now.

Good luck!

EDIT: I just checked, and I get 19.2 as st.dev..

Edited by alefal
  • Like 1

You know I once had a problem with one equation-solving program, it kept giving the wrong result, and my teacher didn't know why this happened so she just told me to use a different app. If using only one list works then go for it, unless you figure out what Lilianna meant, because unfortunately I don't know ;d

I'm saying this because I think you should focus on other aspects of maths too and not let this distract you tommorow, maybe you won't even need to calculate sd ;p

Edited by maereth

Yeah! Thank you all guys for being so helpful! I'm really grateful.

It seems for me that I will use only one list as it appears to be working unlike two lists.... It may cost me 1-2 minutes extra typing in all those numbers, but perhaps those minutes will be worth it! We shall see!

I wish you all good luck tomorrow for Exams! It's soon over!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Was pretty much what maereth said :/

Just so you know... I get the same result from 1 - Var - Stat and 2 - Var - Stat.... Don't know if that is any of help in tracking the problem.

Okay, sorry about that! But that means that Lilianna pointed at the right thing, which I described, though for the wrong calculator. There should be a settings page somewhere, where you can alter how 1VAR reads the lists. Unfortunately, I can't find anything about it on the net.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow!