The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

Personally, i think listening to quality music with meaningful lyrics and great sounds... oh my favourite.

Best bands and artists: Archive, Coldplay, Radiohead, Pix Lax, Buena Vista Social Club. My favourite singres are Carlos Santana, Manu Chao and Tom Waits. Guys is just magic

Awesome :P I love Manu Chao! He has a great live album "Baionarena" that I listen to a lot. I also like Buena Vista Social Club. Do you know Rodrigo Y Gabriela?

Really any type of music gets me going as long as it sounds nice, however classical music i have a particular distaste for :blink: I dont know why I just dont get it. I find listening to music before I work helps me relax and gather my thoughts together before writing an essay.

My whole life is music. I don't really play (except for a couple of guitar chords) but I plan to devote myself to a career where I am surrounded in music. (WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING IN IB?)

I like alternative, indie, pop, grunge, electronic, most guitar-based music from the nineties, (read: not Briney or Justin)

Some favorites: Paramore, Bright Eyes, Augustana, Mayday Parade, Automatic Loveletter, Fleetwood Mac, Jimmy Eat World, The Postal Service, Radiohead, Nirvana, the Beatles, and lots of local stuff.

I like to study with music, but I don't think it helps or hurts me. Just makes me less likely to fall asleep!

My ears are mostly open to anything, including mainstream stuff, as long as it's not too intellectually stunted or pedestrian. For the most part I listen to alternative, alt. rock, electronic and also soundtracks. You'd find Gorillaz, Linkin Park, The xx, Battles, Kings of Leon, Phoenix, Hard-Fi, Coldplay, Maroon 5 in my top list. Also, Fleet Foxes, MGMT, Pete Yorn, Snow Patrol, Rodrigo y Gabriela, La Roux, The Prodigy and Rise Against if you dig deep.

I have a really eclectic music taste!

The genres I listen to include bubblegum pop, J-pop, J-rock, visual kei, K-pop, classical, classic rock, symphonic metal, screamo, jazz, new age, classical fusion, R&B, urban, soul, electronica, psychedelic rock, rap, folk...

My favourite band is Metric. I am obsessed with/have a girl crush on Emily Haines. :)

Edited by Schrödinger's Cat

• 2 weeks later...

So who here loves music? What kind? What are some of your favourite artists? Does music help or hurt you while studying?

This thread is where we discuss all of this and more (respectfully!).

Personally I've been listening to a lot of The Verve lately. I can't wait to listen to their first album in over a decade. However, I think my favourite band has to be Incubus, hands down.

Music is the best! I have been a musician for almost twelve years. I started taking guitar lessons when I was five, and then began to write my own songs/music at 14. I have a musical background in Bluegrass, Celtic, Blues, Classic Rock, Pop, and Jazz, and I also write and jam with my younger sister who plays the harp. We both sing too.

A few years back I took an online Music Appreciation course. One of the lessons in the course was about types of listeners. According to this class, the four types of music listeners are:

- Casual Listeners

- Referential Listeners

- Critical Listeners

- Perceptive Listeners

I can give a brief overview of each type of listener based on what I learned in the class:

"Casual Listeners:

[Most likely] the most common type of listeners... This type of listener likes having music playing, filling the environment with sounds. Whether present as a background to drive, study, work, exercise, or hang out with friends, music is a constant accompaniment to the casual listener's daily activities.

Referential Listeners:

Sometimes music can remind people of past events, or bring to mind particular images, feelings, or situations. At times, those feelings are so strong that the music is not really heard anymore, but the listener is caught up in the memories of the person, event, or feeling. Although it is undeniable that extra-musical connections or associations can be developed through listening, referential listeners tend to relate to music exclusively in that way.

Critical Listeners:

Critical listener's sole purpose is to listen and identify what is wrong with a performance. For this type of listener, every detail of the performance needs to be perfect, including accuracy of notes. Extremely critical listeners demand perfection in live as well as recorded music.

Perceptive Listeners:

The last listener type, the perceptive, active listener combines the characteristics of the previous three types of listeners and is not limited to any single one of them. Like the casual listener, [the perceptive listener] enjoys sound for sound's sake... like the referential listener, might have associations to the music being heard, but also tries to remember... like the critical listener, is aware of the quality of a performance, but goes beyond the technical aspects seeking understanding and appreciation of the human and cultural values embodied in the music."

The lesson also teaches that it is many individuals become different types of listeners based on what music they are listening to. It seems that many students who are able to listen to music while studying often fall under the category of the casual listener. Personally, I find that listening to music is pleasant when performing tasks that require low amounts of thinking or creativity. I feel distracted if there is music and I am trying hard to work on something and think a lot.

I love a variety of music, and I try to keep an open appreciation of music from other cultures. I have a lot of musical influences and inspirations. Probably the most recent of these is a new artist named Janelle Monáe. Other than that, some musicians/bands that I love are: Fleetwood Mac, Steely Dan, Amos Lee, America, Amy Winehouse, Anoushka Shankar, Asa, Basia, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Buena Vista Social Club, Juanes, David Grier, Jesse Autumn, Steve Palazzo, Leah Daugherty, Paradise Khatibi, The Eagles, Elton John, Esperanza Spalding, Fleet Foxes, Funky Dosage, Genesis, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, Jack Johnson, Josh Groban, James Taylor, K'antu, Kenny Loggins, L'Orchestra di Piazzo Vittorio, Lady Gaga, Lindsey Buckingham, Lissie, Marcus Miller, Maroon 5, Michael Bublé, Michael Jackson, Natasha Bedingfield, Pixie Lott, Norah Jones, Pat Metheny, Peter Frampton, Sting, Yes, U2, Richard Marx, Ryan Ward, Shakira, Steve Winwood, and Darren Criss, amongst others.

Is there anyone who is interested in any of the artists that I have listed? Some of them are actually artists who are on Youtube. Anway, thank you all for your time, stay awesome, and may Peace be with you all.

My ears are mostly open to anything, including mainstream stuff, as long as it's not too intellectually stunted or pedestrian. For the most part I listen to alternative, alt. rock, electronic and also soundtracks. You'd find Gorillaz, Linkin Park, The xx, Battles, Kings of Leon, Phoenix, Hard-Fi, Coldplay, Maroon 5 in my top list. Also, Fleet Foxes, MGMT, Pete Yorn, Snow Patrol, Rodrigo y Gabriela, La Roux, The Prodigy and Rise Against if you dig deep.

omg same here except im not much of a rap person (actually you could say i hate it) i dont think rap is even music its just people talking (am i right?)

when im doing homework or sleeping i listen to classical music but when im in the car or free time i listen to anything except rap

• 2 weeks later...

Augh!

I thought I was the only IB metalhead!

Dam you!

Btw here's another great track from Meshuggah:

I consder Meshuggah to be math metal.

It's really extreme in the sense that yes it is heavy, they use 8 string guitars, but the time signatures and what-not are extremely akward.

Just listen to the drums, he's playing 9/16 with the bass drum and playing 4/4 with his hands.

That is so extreme!

Uhhh, Meshuggah's more just progressive...When I hear math metal/mathcore I think Dillinger Escape Plan, Botch, Coalesce and the like. Math Metal has a great potential to be good, but sometimes just ends up bein pure guitar ****ery :/ But I still lurves it

As summer's rolled in I've had copious amount of free time to expand my collection. What do y'all think of my recent acquisitions?

Sonic Youth - EVOL

Boris - Amplifier Worship

Big Black - Racer X

Rodan - Rusty

Slint - Tweez

Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles

Die Kreuzen - Die Kreuzen

Die Kreuzen - October File

Die Kreuzen - Gone Home

Odd Nosdam - Live Level Wires

Fugazi - Steady Diet Of Nothing

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Unwound - New Plastic Ideas

lol hipster. Unwound, Fugazi, Slint, Rodan, and Sonic Youth = :P Sooooo gooood, all of them. Slint's a personal fav, and Unwound is sooo beast

Also

Your musical compatibility with AniranC is Low

Music you have in common includes Converge, Man Is the Bastard, Arcade Fire, At the Drive-In and Glassjaw.

http://www.last.fm/user/ulrichXfirelord

You listen to Man Is The Bastard? ****, I thought I was the only IB kid who listened to powerviolence/hardcore in general...Woot, good ****.

Yeah, I listen to melodeath (dark tranquility, darkest hour, the like), old school death metal (morbid angel, obituary, nile), under ground hippity hops (POS, Del, B. Dolan, Sage Francis, MF Doom), some dubstep and mashup, but what I listen to most of all is hardcore (Defeater, Ruiner, Black Flag) and skramz (Orchid, Saetia, Daitro, etc). Anybody else who's in there local hardcore/DIY scene on here and goes to shows and stuff?

Music helps me cope with it all, especially when I go into a depression spell.

My tastes change a lot, at the moment im into anything with a strong beat really - Rap, hip hop, RnB, Dubstep, some techno, just about anything, just no metal anymore, I used to be full on metalhead- no longer :P

atm I love this guys remixes: http://www.youtube.com/user/timalander

• 5 years later...

I play in a string orchestra, so to some extent, I do appreciate classical music. I prefer playing rock, though. It's more fun–exciting. In terms of écouter de la musique, I love punk-rock, punk, punk-pop, rock, grunge, metalcore, heavy metal, hard rock, and some New Wave from time to time isn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...