The Music Thread

Mr. Shiver

I love music! and I dont have any specific type of favorite music but I can find some trends like Classic Music, folklore music (from many countries), Pop, soundtracks (videogames and movies). I am not of those who can really concentrate while hearing to music, but anyway I do so sometimes.

Oh! I love celtic music! and also some mexican folklore.

By the way, does anyone else here like mexican music?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

I'm Cameron from the US and as I was reading about you guys' love for music (which I share) I had to ask: How is American rap and hip-hop perceived abroad? This is a passionate topic for me.. as I love hip hop but not so much rap (there is a major difference - hip hop originated as a means to deal with the struggles of society and rap glorifies the hood cheap women money etc. x/)

I love new-age lounge, jazz, funk, rock, techno, alternative but not country. lol

I bboy (when theres time), and can't help but notice how the culture has spread so much around the world.

Oh

p.s.

favorite groups/musicians::

The Cinematic Orchestra

Muse

Coldplay

Thievery Corporation

Lupe Fiasco

John Coltrane

Joshua Redman

Bob Marley +/- the Wailers

Matisuyah

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Epik High (Korean hiphop)

Blu

Pat Metheny

Brad Mehldau

Audioslave

Queens of the Stone Age

Incubus

GRP All-Star Big Band

Roy Ayers

Celia Cruz

Tito Puente

DJ Shadow

Beck

Marvin Gaye

Parliament Funkadelics

George Gershwin

Common

Dilated Peoples

The Beatnuts

Nujabes

The Teriyaki Boys

just to name a few ;]

O and I :P classical

Favorite piece now is the Unfinished Symphony Mov't 1: allegretto by Franz Schubert

Timeless Melody ;]

I love music! and I dont have any specific type of favorite music but I can find some trends like Classic Music, folklore music (from many countries), Pop, soundtracks (videogames and movies). I am not of those who can really concentrate while hearing to music, but anyway I do so sometimes.

Oh! I love celtic music! and also some mexican folklore.

By the way, does anyone else here like mexican music?

Mexican Salsa... some reggaeton

Eliades Ochoa

Ken-Y

Edited by Mahuta

i like a little bit of everything except for country music... at the moment i am obsessed with MUSE. check them out, linkin park, van she, yeasayer, v factory. i always listen to music when im doing math homework or something that doesnt require me to analyze and interpret and all that. alrighty then :P

Hey guys

I'm Cameron from the US and as I was reading about you guys' love for music (which I share) I had to ask: How is American rap and hip-hop perceived abroad? This is a passionate topic for me.. as I love hip hop but not so much rap (there is a major difference - hip hop originated as a means to deal with the struggles of society and rap glorifies the hood cheap women money etc. x/)

I love new-age lounge, jazz, funk, rock, techno, alternative but not country. lol

I bboy (when theres time), and can't help but notice how the culture has spread so much around the world.

Oh

p.s.

favorite groups/musicians::

The Cinematic Orchestra

Muse

Coldplay

Thievery Corporation

Lupe Fiasco

John Coltrane

Joshua Redman

Bob Marley +/- the Wailers

Matisuyah

Talib Kweli

Mos Def

Epik High (Korean hiphop)

Blu

Pat Metheny

Brad Mehldau

Audioslave

Queens of the Stone Age

Incubus

GRP All-Star Big Band

Roy Ayers

Celia Cruz

Tito Puente

DJ Shadow

Beck

Marvin Gaye

Parliament Funkadelics

George Gershwin

Common

Dilated Peoples

The Beatnuts

Nujabes

The Teriyaki Boys

just to name a few ;]

I love hiphop (and am very much aware of the huge difference between hiphop and rap), thus I'd very much appreciate if you could give me some tips about really good stuff :P I very much appreciate new kinds of hiphop etc., I'm not an old-school girl.

O

well hell yes lets do it haha

Ok

Good MC's:

Talib Kweli

Common

Mos Def

Donny Goines

Madvillain (Madlib too its REALLY underground)

Lupe Fiasco

Apani B

Kanye West (non commerical music - i.e. Paranoid is pretty good)

The Crown City Rockers (have a lot of instrumental beats.. they go pretty hard ;])

Fort Minor

Marco Polo ft. Masta Ace (get "Nostalgia" its a great song.. real NY stuff)

Rakim ("18th letter" album --- Guess Who's Back is my jammm haha)

T.I. (when he's not talking about women or killing ppl)

Jay-Z ("I know" another great song lol)

Jurassic 5 ("what's golden")

Method Man

Ghostface(killa) (he sounds mean but he has really good stuff)

Dilated Peoples

Pitbull (has good dancing music) i.e. Boom, Shake Drop

Yerba Buena (get "Guajira" its good)

Flobots

Pharell

Black Eyed Peas (the old stuff w.o Fergie is more closer to hip hop and not pop)

Nas (old and new songs are good -- "surviving the times" and "the world is yours" --that ones old school but its still gold.)

J Dilla

There's alot

I listed just like the beginning of my playlist haha but when u search for most/any of these you'll get alot of other good stuff too.

The songs I put beside them are they're hits and if you like em u can check some of the other stuff or u can ask me.

and for fun...

bad rappers:

Soulja Boy

Paul Wall

Most ppl from Dallas (here its so baddd.. I wanna stage a take over of the local radio station)

Dem Franchise Boys

Eamon

anybody else glorifying lower education and drugs lol

i like a little bit of everything except for country music... at the moment i am obsessed with MUSE. check them out, linkin park, van she, yeasayer, v factory. i always listen to music when im doing math homework or something that doesnt require me to analyze and interpret and all that. alrighty then :P

lol

Are you a twilight fan? cus they're popularity has soooared because of that movie + Super Massive Black Hole

My fav song is "Starlight"

Makes me feel at home. :D

I'm a bit strange; I listen to anything ranging from 50 Cent (yes, AT TIMES, okay? NOT FREQUENTLY) to Beethoven. :) Ironically, the music genres that I listen to most frequiently are rap and classical, hehe. As long as it sounds good to me, I'll listen to it. Some recommendations for rap and classical (not in the same song, ahem): Ludovico Einaudi, Yiruma, Tchaikovsky, Eminem, Lupe Fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...

I study best to music, especially on an MP3 player. Can be with lyrics or without. It completely shoots up my concentration levels... I guess because it blocks everything else out, so nothing distracts me at all and I can do massive essays without realising time has passed until I'm finished!

I love all sorts of music, but I like it for its powers of escapism rather than for dancing/singing along to (although I do this too) so I have ended up with a bit of an eclectic taste. Except for heavy metal and generic rock music, I have some of everything, more or less. I especially like country music and any guy who has one of those soulful voices. Ray LaMontagne, Josh Rouse, John Meyer.. etc.

I listen to all types of music, even music I can't understand! Pop, hip hop, rap, soul, r&b, techno (house, electronica), experimental, punk, heavy metal, dance...Oh boy. I listen to classical music here and there. I use to listen to cpop, jpop, jrock, kpop alot, but not as often but I still like it (I grew out of the phase but still can appreciate it). I love to listen to French music and Spanish even though I can't understand.

I usually like more faster paced songs. Sometimes I can be picky about the songs, there are just songs/types of songs I don't like specifically. I can't seem to like rap that's all about 'going hard, life's hard, I'm a g' in the slowest beat ever. I get annoyed. Same for slow jams etc

Upbeat, catchy, face paced songs get me motivated to do my homework. I get so pumped up. 3OH!3 :D.

I listen to: Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, 50 Cent, Lil Wayne, Ciara, T-Bizzy, Neyo, DJ Italian Sensation, 3OH!3, Brokencyde, Skillet, Smile, Beethoven, boA, Namie Amuro, K-Maro, Kayne West, Don Omar...

Edited by Mkxxy

There's so many different things I listen to! I have friends with a wide range of musical tastes, so that becomes reflected on me. My best friend listens to alternative music, so at present my favorite songs in her car are "Teleport: A & B" by Spill Canvas and "Gives You Hell" by the All-American Rejects. We especially love the Twilight movie soundtrack (yay Paramore!). Also Taylor Swift, as a slightly different genre. With my Indian best guy friend, I listen to Bollywood music (which surprisingly is pretty neat!) and lots of girl singing (Lenka, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Adele, Beyoncé, ect.). With my boyfriend, I listen to a lot of contemporary Christian music (BarlowGirl, TobyMac, Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, ect.--he also does to Hawk Nelson and Relient K stuff which I haven't gotten into quite yet cuz I haven't heard enough of it). With my mom I listen to classical music, and I love going to the opera! I, personally, am in love with Broadway music. I have so many soundtracks you would not believe. And I'm in love with Spanish music! I love the Spanish language, and I always download the canción de la semana from itunes. My favorite artist is most definitely Juanes! He's amazing! I love "Tu Guardian" by him, it makes me feel sooo loved.

I'm a guitar player in a melodic death metal band, I have some mp3s of our covers (no new originals yet)....

I mainly listen to Melodic death metal, black metal, progressive metal and math metal...

My favorite bands are In Flames, Death, Kalmah, The Human Abstract, and Protest the Hero...

My favorite two guitarists are Jason Becker and Malmsteen, who are both true geniuses.

But I also listen to a lot of jazz fusion, sort of like Holdsworth, or Gambale.

Wow!

Do you like In Flames? I love them. I enjoy A LOT of swedish music! In Flames is my favourite band :( , although I also like Meshuggah, At the Gates, and Dark Tranquility as well. I envy you! Let me go to Sweden someday~!...Especially Gothenburg!

In general though, I love all music. I am a music fanatic, I don't believe that there are any bad genres. Every genre is good in its own way in my opinion.

However, my main genre of choice has to be Melodic Death Metal. I am more geared towards extreme metal such as Melodic Death Metal, Death Metal, and Math Metal (no joke! It's a real genre!).

But I can't deny I love Happy Hardcore such as DJ Ravine and DJ Bluecore.

I never mind listening to Korean Pop either, and even Kanye West has found his way onto my iPod.

In case any of you were curious, yes the majority of my music has those intense death metal growling vocals. I actually enjoy it thank you very much :blush:

Oh yeah, believe it or not I sometimes sleep listening to metal and wake up to metal. Don't ask how it works :) ...but I admit I used to wake up with small headaches when I've left my music going on~

Another metal lover, looks like we're not much in here... But I lost my faith in In Flames, after Reroute to Remain they started sucking hard, and A Sense of Purpose was the greatest disappointment in my life...

Edited by Nik Sarantakos

• 2 weeks later...

Always need to have music on when i do work!My tastes in music vary hugely! My music list by category + some good songs to check out:

ROCK:

Linkin Park (Numb)

All That Remains (Six)

3 Doors Down

Disturbed (Down with the Sickness)

Breaking Benjamin (Diary of Jane)

All American Rejects (Move Along or Night Drive)

Bullet for my Valentine

Trivium

Foo Fighters

Fall Out Boy

Dragonforce (Through the Fire and Flames)

Say Anything

Sum 41

RNB/HIP HOP/RAP:

Fort Minor

Gym Class Heroes (Viva La White Girl or Live a Little)

T Pain

Kanye West

Ja Rule

Teriyaki Boyz

Jay Z

Usher (This Aint Sex)

Gritz (My Life be Like)

ASIAN:

Asian Kung Fu Generation (Favourite band! Check out Kimi to Iu Hana or Haruka Kanata or N.G.S)

Namie Amuro

Utada Hikaru (Simple and Clean Remix)

UVERworld

YUI

Big Bang (Haru Haru)

Aqua Timez (Velonica)

Kelun

Edited by Blueskynin

Talib Kweli

Common

Mos Def

Donny Goines

Madvillain (Madlib too its REALLY underground)

Lupe Fiasco

Apani B

Kanye West (non commerical music - i.e. Paranoid is pretty good)

The Crown City Rockers (have a lot of instrumental beats.. they go pretty hard ;])

Fort Minor

Marco Polo ft. Masta Ace (get "Nostalgia" its a great song.. real NY stuff)

Rakim ("18th letter" album --- Guess Who's Back is my jammm haha)

T.I. (when he's not talking about women or killing ppl)

Jay-Z ("I know" another great song lol)

Jurassic 5 ("what's golden")

Method Man

Ghostface(killa) (he sounds mean but he has really good stuff)

Dilated Peoples

Pitbull (has good dancing music) i.e. Boom, Shake Drop

Yerba Buena (get "Guajira" its good)

Flobots

Pharell

Black Eyed Peas (the old stuff w.o Fergie is more closer to hip hop and not pop)

Nas (old and new songs are good -- "surviving the times" and "the world is yours" --that ones old school but its still gold.)

J Dilla

Good artists. :o Soulja Boy is horrible; first class trash. :o Eminem has some interesting lyrics haha.