SUBJECT SELECTION?

warlord5

Hey Guys,

I have to choose my subjects for Pre-IB like in the next few day and I am not sure about my choices.

I have no idea how hard these subjects are so any feedback should help...

So here are the subjects that I was thinking of:

Maths HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Business SL/Anticipated

French SL

English SL

Any feedback would help...

owie, Maths, CHem and Physics at higher level is difficult, I tell ya; maths HL alone KILLs people,

but IB is hard anyway,

You are probably going to have a difficult time in English SL, well, everyone is going to, but it will get better so don't stress if you got a 4 or a 5 as opposed to a 6 or a 7 for your first essays or commentarys

in terms of french, immerse yourself in the world of french

• Like 1

Difficult, but if you're a strong student in math/science (which I'm assuming you are otherwise you wouldn't have picked HL math and physics) and you manage your time well, it's definitely doable. And since you're probably considering some sort of math/engineering course, you'd need these subjects anyways. Plenty of people do the same/similar subject combinations to yours and they've been successful. You just need to make it work for you.

• Like 1

A smart move is to change that English from a standard level to a higher level because my english teacher told my class that you don't get credit for English SL here in Canada but English HL. Also my teacher told us that the content is almost the same for both courses and that its not really wise to choose SL.

Maybe its different over there. I'm not entirely sure about English SL because I haven't taken it so sorry about that :P who knows I could be wrong some clarification by another would be appreciated.

As for the other subjects, I've taken SL for almost all of them haha.

Hey Guys,

I have to choose my subjects for Pre-IB like in the next few day and I am not sure about my choices.

Maths HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Business SL/Anticipated

French SL

English SL

I think you're good, I do similar subjects as you (minus the physics- i do bio) and if you work hard on your hls, you'll be fine :) a bit time-consuming but a fun challenge :D

One thing though, take those combinations because they pertain to your idea of whatever you want to do in university. DON'T take them cause they're "hot" subjects. Else you'll just end up hating some of the most fun years you'll ever have.

Several students in my school take the (Math/phy/chem) HL Combo, because if you're "clever" you'll take it. Guess what? I'm back here, enjoying IB with my (Math/Econs/English/Music) HL, while all of them had the worst time ever.

Physics HL, Chem HL and Math HL are hell. Do not even consider taking them if you are not extremely strong in Math and Science. As HLs, they jive pretty cohesively together, but they are also some of the bloodiest higher level subjects in the entire IB. BM HL and English HL on the other hand are quite easy to score high in if you work hard enough. I do a lot of extra reading for English, but I generally have kept my predicted grade to be a 6 for my entire IB life. BM is such a bonus subject! Like 60-70% of my IB BM class is predicted a 7 and I think like 80% of us are expecting at least a 6.

If you really love the Maths and Sciences and are adequately skilled to handle the rigors of these classes, then by all means take them. If you're simply looking to get a higher IB final score then switch levels. I'd recommend to switch your Math and Physics with English and BM. Chemistry seems to be more manageable than both. I can personally tell you that Physics HL sucks balls. I am finished.

Hey Guys,

Maths HL

Physics HL

Chemistry HL

Business SL/Anticipated

French SL

English SL

Im usually biased against the 2 sciences + Maths option unless one needs it or just wants to truly challenge and stretch themselves even at the expense of their diploma. The sciences especially at HL and especially the two you've chosen are normally demanding and content/ concept heavy. Maths HL is also usually equally as demanding. If you're more of a mathsy person maybe you could do Further Maths HL which is basically Maths HL + all the options and some, basically just more maths to learn as opposed to a whole other subject.

You're doing an anticipated subject so this could make it somewhat easier for you in terms of focusing on your Maths + 2 sciences combo because of less exams in your second year. What are you like in French SL? Maybe you could take this as an anticipated subject as well, I'm thinking the less subjects to take the second year the more time spent on your HLs. You could check if the school would allow you to do more than 1 Anticipated exam.

French B SL - is one of the easier 2nd language courses so you should be fine. If you are fluent at another language and it isn't one associated with your nationality maybe you could get away with doing it. It would certainly make your life much easier.

English A1 SL - Meh you'll be fine. Don't do HL as usually only 2- 3% manage a 7 every year. That's much lower than maths and physics HL. It's notoriously difficult to score the coveted 7 in English HL. SL is more manageable.

I'm not sure about business, I do Economics instead.

Good luck.