Is there anything to do in Pre-IB until the IB starts?

Nizam

This is my first post and I'm also very happy to find this site :turned: , I believe you can help me a lot while I'm desperate about "What to do". Anyway, I wanna ask you if there is anything to do before the grade 11 and 12. It can be anything to disburden my work in IB. :)

• Like 2

I would stress the usefulness of having your CAS over and done with. If this is out of the way, you essentially gain free periods in which you can study or do what you want with and also means that you aren't panicking when you have homework, coursework and exams to be doing/ studying for!

Action or service are probably the easiest to sort out without help from the school, as you can easily join a gym or volunteer in a charity shop/ primary school/ hospital etc. Creativity is, in my opinion, the hardest to complete externally from the school, so joining school-run clubs and societies is a brilliant way to do this.

If you're really bored and have nothing to do, try to learn the Grade 11 or 12 concepts for any subject and try to make sense of it. If you can't well its not the end of the world since you're in Pre-Ib and you'll most likely get it later obviously.

Honestly, enjoy your life in Pre-IB and have as much fun because the real IB will take those away. So cherish those moments :P

Guest Positron

I would stress the usefulness of having your CAS over and done with. If this is out of the way, you essentially gain free periods in which you can study or do what you want with and also means that you aren't panicking when you have homework, coursework and exams to be doing/ studying for!

That'd be nice, but IBO rules prohibit that. Your must complete your CAS "working on it continuously for at least 18 months". That means you can be done with CAS just a few months prior to your final exams. That is, of course, supposing your school observes the rules strictly, which isn't always the case with CAS.

You'll be just fine without any extra studying. The pre-IB is there for a reason; it prepares you for the IB. Your teachers have probably included everything important in this year's curriculum, don't you think? Chill out, and enjoy pre-IB while it lasts :)

That'd be nice, but IBO rules prohibit that. Your must complete your CAS "working on it continuously for at least 18 months". That means you can be done with CAS just a few months prior to your final exams. That is, of course, supposing your school observes the rules strictly, which isn't always the case with CAS.

Actually, there is a little way to get around this. My school follows the CAS rules quite closely (but not to a T), and I've managed to ease my workload by doing most of my CAS in IB1, and one or two activities during IB2. Technically I would have done CAS over an 18-month period. :)

As for OP's question: Rest, eat, sleep. You can brush up on your knowledge base for the subjects you're going to take in IB if you want to (e.g. Chemistry basics), but it should be re-taught anyway. And make sure you enjoy life, knowing full well of the hours of sleep you will miss in IB.

I think you might want to just know the basics about your habits and how you study best. Make sure that you know if you're a night or day person, if you study best by writing notes, using flashcards, etc. I think if you take the time to understand these things now, you'll be able to study smoothly during IB. But other than that, relax. It may be the last time you do :blum:

Working on Math is advisable :)

This is what I'm doing right now. :) I revise the past year math and when I'm done with the 9th grade math, I will move on the next years maths. This summer break will be very hard with all that math stuff :geek:

• Like 1

O.o

People... Kids... Future IB students. I'd like to address you here and now, because you seem to be making a huge mistake: working during pre-IB and pre-IB summer. Trust me on this one - it's a mistake. A grave one. Rest. Party. Drink. Read. Watch tv. Take up jogging. Eat peanut butter with your fingers. Make origami. Just don't work. I kindly ask you not to. Just no. It won't help you one bit. And I know what I'm saying. IB is a 2 years course and it is designed as such. Not a 3 year course, not a 4 year one. 2. They haven't started for you yet and you should be happy about it. Enjoy this time. I'm telling you this not to hurt you, quite the contrary. You can be successful, really successful, in the IB, without any prior preparation. Without wasting your summer days reading books (which you'd have to re-read anyway later cause you'd forget everything) or practising maths. There'll be enough time for this. The first day of school, start working. Try not to procrastinate too much and in your final year start your revision early so you're not stressed out of your mind. Pre-IB should be called Relax Year. And that's what it should be.

Listen to my advice, pretty please, cause I really do know what I am saying.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Are you going to take HL Maths?

If you are, then you need to definitely prepare for it during the holidays. HL Maths is one of the hardest subjects because maths is a skill you need to develop over a long period of time; maths is not something you can just memorise formulas and apply them to solve questions.

Otherwise, just do what Gaby said and chill or you're going to regret wasting one of the last genuine free time.

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest you to figure out your CAS and CAS project; it is generally good if you can get few hours done before the IB starts;

If you're worried about your subjects, don't be, because you won't know what to study for. I am currently doing history, the Peacemaking and Peacekeeping route, and thanks to some random post online, I read a bit about American slavery and stuff.

Apart from that, get your mind ready. Get ready for a couple of failures and overwhelming feelings. Even if you did prepare during the holidays, the advantage won't last long and there really isn't a difference as you won't know if you're doing it right or not (IB is pretty particular about certain matters)

Good luck :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, whatever other people suggest, this is what i would do if i were you.

Have fun, enjoy my free time, get those parties started, get a world tour booked and don't ever think about preparing for IB. Pre-IB is the calm before the storm, so make use of it to have fun as you'll be quite insane in a few months. True you could make your life less enjoyable by studying for the IB, but i wouldn't recommend that, complete waste of time. Live while you're young.

• 1 month later...

Are you going to take HL Maths?

If you are, then you need to definitely prepare for it during the holidays. HL Maths is one of the hardest subjects because maths is a skill you need to develop over a long period of time; maths is not something you can just memorise formulas and apply them to solve questions.

Otherwise, just do what Gaby said and chill or you're going to regret wasting one of the last genuine free time.

I couldn't agree more with this quote. The summer before I started IB I bought a Math HL book and practiced as much as I could. This benefited me enormously as Math HL is really difficult. But if you feel that your subject choices are not too much for you, then just enjoy your free time because you will learn to miss it once you start the IB.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm taking Math HL and Physics HL, and my school has this sort of "Recruitment entry test" to be accepted into the IB course, do you still believe that not revising and/or studying is advisable in my case? Also I've just moved to Poland and I'm not exactly what you would call 'skilled' as for my polish. I'm really worried, help please?