KaieraAi

So, I'm currently working on the type II internal Assessment for Math SL. I'm not really that great at these type of assignments, I have a hard time reading and understanding the questions being asked. So far I have used LoggerPro to graph the information at hand, and have found three different formulas that each pertain to a certain quality of the data. That is what I'm supposed to do, right? If someone could please explain to me exactly what the question is asking me, that would be really really great.

Below is a pdf of the paper, and on the back are my notes on the three functions I'm using.

IA page 1.pdf

IA page 2.pdf

Quick Note: Try not to post answers (as in, your notes) on here. Not that I care, but I always see mods and admins get upset, so I thought I'd point that out.

Anyways, as far as the questions go, the steps are pretty much a good guide, and as long as you follow them (preferably not in a Question Answer format) you should be alright:

Plotting data, for both, should be the easiest part, I'm guessing you know how to do that :)

Commenting on results of the graph(s) should be fairly easy too, look for parts that look like functions you recognize (exponentials, logarithmics, etc) and suggest some that would work.

Now, I'm a little unsure about the next part. The fact that they stated 'analytically' develop makes me assume they don't want you to use technology for the first part

(they tell you to use it later, which means using excel/whatever program you're using to find a linear regression for your data points)

But for the first time they mention it, analytically would imply using data points and the properties of the suggested models from pt1 to analytically write a linear regression. There is a very specific way to do this... The question is whether or not you have covered this in class.... I'm in HL, so I have no idea. Let me know what topics in regards to linear regressions and data trends you guys have covered, and I'll see if I can be a bit more specific as to what might be required.

Also, your post is very vague :) If you can point to some specific parts that you don't understand, it will be easier to explain!

Cheers!

Edited by freezy19

So, my biggest problem is that we have not covered linear regressions, so I feel like this is not exactly a feasable assignment for my class. Of course, I'm probably complaining a lit, and being whiny and whatnot, but I'm kinda completely lost.

I'm following a video that talks about this type of problem now. Oh my goodness am I confused. I split the graph into three parts with a different equation for each section. I can't find the third section's formula, and that is what my biggest problem is. I guess overall I just wasn't prepared for this question at all, and my procrastination skills probably didn't help. ^^;

Wait... You didn't cover linear regression but got this IA... What. I don't even know how that can be expected, is linear regression not in the SL syllabus?.... Do you have a copy of that?

Anyways, I guess I'll help you out a bit more then (but I obviously can't just do the IA for you)

Pretty much, here you are looking at a relationship between the amount of fish (being y) and some aspect of time (I think there are multiple ones you could choose) (being x).

So, in the first part, you are looking to find equations that relate those two variables with reason to the data points on the graph.

So far you got it, I believe.

Now, there is a way to write a linear regression with the least squares for any equation with a relationship between two or more variables... Problem is, I don't know how to explain this without pretty much doing the problem, just without the numbers...

Unless there is an easier way that's 'analytical' and finds a fitting model. Maybe I'm just thining to complicated, if you wait a bit, maybe someone who has an idea of the SL curriculum will reply, bc I'm just going off my math knowledge, not of any experience with SL Math, heh...

How long do you have before you need to turn this in?

Definitley talk to your teacher, and your classmates.

If it turns out you are still lost after that, PM me, and I can help you individually a bit better, hopefully.

Edited by freezy19