How to cope with Math SL

supergirldq

I really don't like math but my college requirement expects me to take math at least at SL. I don't understand a thing that goes on in class although i take tutoring sessions for extra help. The weird part is that i managed an A in my IGCSE math for tenth grade and now I just dont get a word of it.

Advice please..... :)

Im not a good student in math SL either, but the study methodology is still kindof simple. Just keep a steady pace of about 30min-1h of math study each day, using both your book and external resources. Use the exam prep videos on youtube to help you understand the concept. Once you feel secure about yourself when it comes to this topic, time yourself on the typical exam questions that are usually at the end of the chapter in the book. I use this methodology and managed a three on a topic diagnosis after studying for approximatly 3 hours the night before.

Hope this info is helpfull ^^

• Like 1

The only thing that would get you going or at least get you a 5 is by practice. Whatever you don't understand or understand, spend 15 minuts when you get home. Only 15 minutes but regularly after maths class.

I bet you'll start getting good grades.

Okay, laughing at HL students is one guaranteed way to ensure some success at maths. :)

However, more seriously, practice is the key. Moreover, if you feel that you can do exercises but not the actual past exam questions, try looking at some HL questions for comparison (though most of it may not make sense) - that might make you feel better :)

Otherwise, I would say continue the tutoring sessions. If you still can't find your way with SL, try negotiating with your school for studies. But really, for SL, the main advice is to work from the textbook, know how to do all the different types of questions, and practice. With that, Maths SL shouldn't be that hard.

I did SL because I was told it was necessary to get onto the University course I wanted (which I've now found was not necessarily the case, but whatever), and was in the same position as you. I got an A* for Maths at GCSE, but was hopelessly out of my depth with SL Maths, which to be honest I could have predicted even when doing GCSE which I also found quite difficult.

Anyway, I guess it depends on what your problem is. Is your problem not understanding the material, or not retaining the material? I had the second problem - well, both actually, but the 2nd was the killer. I could sit and correctly solve questions all lesson once somebody had shown me how - but ask me to solve the same question an hour after the lesson and I honestly had no idea what the hell I was doing. Partly this is because I only understood how to deploy a method I'd been shown rather than knowing what the hell all of the steps in the method meant as related to the equation, so I stood no hope in hell of ever independently thinking through and coming up with the same method. I deeply believe I have some kind of brain malformation when it comes to Maths - number amnesia! @_@ So yeah, other people say to practice daily or something but if you have the problem I had, then that's not going to help you at all.

In the end I wrote down all of the methods and then for about 2-3 days before the final exams I just did them over and over and over and over again all parts of the day when I wasn't sleeping or eating. I still forgot how to differentiate, integrate and do matrices in the 30 minutes between last doing exactly those things and opening the final Maths paper... but I remembered enough topics to eventually get a 6 and blagged a decent amount of it on my calculator :P Basically, whatever it is you can't do - kill yourself trying to do it! And then you might get a result which is better than you really deserve. The only way to try and save yourself is to drop down to Studies or graft and work hard as hell to do better.

Also work really hard on your IAs. You don't need to be able to retain any information in order to do those - it's free marks! :)

• Like 1

I would say coping with SL math is easy enough if you practice, when you go home do math for 20 minutes and review all of the formulae that you have done that day. Also there are a TON of youtube videos for math sl especially if you are doing calculus. If you are having problems remembering formulae then make flash cards for the ones that aren't in the formula booklet. Or if you're like me and your teacher doesn't let you have the formula book just put them on flashcards and remmeber them really quickly to just get it out of the way.