Which book do you use for Psychology?

Carpe Diem

Okay, so. I'm Psychology HL and at my school we use the Oxford course companion for Psychology.

But then, I went through past papers, and in paper 1 (the core)and instead of Sociocultural it was Learning and Human perspective.

Is that a substitute for Sociocultural or a new topic as a whole?

Should I refer to some other book?

Please help me out!

Guest Zoya (aka: ziasha)

yeah i use the same one, but i don't do HL so i don't know about that.

I also read from the PEARSON baccalaureate for SL and HL :) its a good book and i think the doubt the syllabus changed at least for what i know it did and rather than lifestyle we have socio cultural ... :):P the socio cultural part is explained pretty well in the pearson book .. try it

Hey there! :)

I used the IB study guide for my preparations for my final exams plus this other psychology text book which i forgot the name of :P sorry.

The IB study guide for psychology is extremely useful and at the back of the book, they tell you how to answer question according to the key terms like 'explain, describe . . .' etc. They also give sample questions and their answers. I suggest you use and/or include the IB study guide for psychology as part of your revision or studying.

Hope i helped ^_^

Hey there! :)

I used the IB study guide for my preparations for my final exams plus this other psychology text book which i forgot the name of :P sorry.

The IB study guide for psychology is extremely useful and at the back of the book, they tell you how to answer question according to the key terms like 'explain, describe . . .' etc. They also give sample questions and their answers. I suggest you use and/or include the IB study guide for psychology as part of your revision or studying.

Hope i helped ^_^

Where can I find this study guide?

yeah i use the same one, but i don't do HL so i don't know about that.

I also read from the PEARSON baccalaureate for SL and HL :) its a good book and i think the doubt the syllabus changed at least for what i know it did and rather than lifestyle we have socio cultural ... :):P the socio cultural part is explained pretty well in the pearson book .. try it

I just went through the may 2010 paper and it said humanistic and learning perspective :S

Anyway, i'll try out the Pearson book. Thanks! :D

The syllabus changed and was first examined in 2011. The humanistic (HL only) and learning perspective (core) was part of the syllabus prior to this change. The syllabus now much better reflects modern psychology's current trend. Hope that clears it up.

I suggest you use as many sources as possible never stick to one book and use the internet as much as you can to get additional studies.

How to do you split up your choices with the Pearson?

I just came across it recently, and I don't know where to start with for Abnormal Psych :S

With Abnormal I went:

• Concepts and Diagnosis - definitions of normality and abnormality, validity and cultural/ethical considerations in diagnosis
  • Symptoms and Etiologies - your particular disorder's symptoms and prevalence and the Biological/Cognitive/Sociocultural etiologies
  • Implmenting Treatment - treatments for your disorder as biomedical, individual and group

We had to order the Oxford Course Companion and I really didn't like it, so I bought the Pearson. The Pearson book explains everything well, especially the studies. For revision I recommend the Psychology AS and A Level Through Diagrams. Its better to have that than to read through the texts books all over again.

• 2 months later...

My school asked us to use 3 books for HL psychology....one of them is optional though.

IB Psychology Course Companion (Oxford) - optional.

IB Psychology Pearson Bacclaureate HL/SL (important)

A-AS Level Psychology Study Guide (this one was sorta compulsory but I dont get why we use the A-level one instead of the ib one)

I think the pearson book is best out of all though....every content is explained well thoroughly. The Oxford course companion is okay too and I use the oxford one a lot for IAs because it gives a lot of example of experiments.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We use the Pearson Baccalaureate one for notes and studying (LOVE this textbook) and for the actual class (as in the tests and discussions) we follow Introduction to Psychology, 8th Edition by James W. Kalat. The reason we use it may have something to do with the fact that our psychology teacher, Dr. Alyn R. Brereton, is cited in the textbook.

• 5 weeks later...