Can this count as CAS?

I'm thinking of doing a blog where I will be doing English tutorials for Korean speaker as I speak both fluently.

I don't know if that will count as CAS :dontgetit: . It's not really a "service" although it's free...it's not really creative or something that would be considered active...

P.s. I also have a goal of doing 100 croquis (something like real-life sketches involving figures) during this summer.

Do you think that can count as creative part of CAS?

P.p.s. Do you think learning how to drive can be considered action? I mean it's learning something new! :hmmm:

Edited by hklee321

The thing about CAS is what is accepted can vary a bit between coordinators so your best bet in figuring out whether you can count these activities is to simply ask your CAS coordinator. They are really the only person that can give you a straight yes/no because they will be the people saying whether you have completed CAS or not when your graduating.

That said, my gut instinct is no. One of the annoying things about CAS is that you have to have a supervisor, so unless you can find someone who can supervise you doing the first two activities and your coordinator accepts them as allowed supervisors (ie not family) then you wont be able to count them.

Also, i think in the past people have tried to get away as having learning to drive as action hours but havn't been allowed.

With that all said, still ask your coordinator, its worth a shot.

The thing about CAS is what is accepted can vary a bit between coordinators so your best bet in figuring out whether you can count these activities is to simply ask your CAS coordinator. They are really the only person that can give you a straight yes/no because they will be the people saying whether you have completed CAS or not when your graduating.

That said, my gut instinct is no. One of the annoying things about CAS is that you have to have a supervisor, so unless you can find someone who can supervise you doing the first two activities and your coordinator accepts them as allowed supervisors (ie not family) then you wont be able to count them.

Also, i think in the past people have tried to get away as having learning to drive as action hours but havn't been allowed.

With that all said, still ask your coordinator, its worth a shot.

Actually, I have emailed my coordinator about it.

I haven't gotten any reply yet and I bet I won't get any reply until the start of next school year after summer vacation, which leaves me in a hole since I am trying to do majority over the summer... :(

Well. Driving isn't considered as action at all. Over here, my friends tried getting away with it :P

But i agree with what kiwi.at.heart said. You should at least get a supervisor for your activities. You've mentioned creativity. But what about service?

Well. Driving isn't considered as action at all. Over here, my friends tried getting away with it :P

But i agree with what kiwi.at.heart said. You should at least get a supervisor for your activities. You've mentioned creativity. But what about service?

I'm going to volunteer at a cat shelter :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to volunteer at a cat shelter :)

That sounds good! :) I'd find something else for action though. Maybe go to your local gym and you can count that as CAS.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, these free tutorials would definitely be service and could probably count as creativity. If you could find some Korean teacher to supervise you, you could probably get away with it. They wouldn't really supervise you, but you could probably get away with it.

Those 100 croquis should count as creativity. You could try to find some Arts teacher that could "supervise" you and you should be fine.

I agree to other guys on driving - it won't count as CAS. Maybe theoretically it should, but I think everybody who tried - failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as kiwi.at.heart said, CAS depends very much on you supervisor.

However, in my opinion the blog is a good idea, you could probably get both creativity and service hours. I myself made a wiki where I uploaded short notes on the chemistry topics and I got both creativity and service hours.

For a supervisor, you could just get anyone you know who is not a family member. According to my experience the supervisor is just there to sign those forms saying that you have actually done the activity, even if they haven't actually seen you doing it. You can't expect someone to sit there and watch you all the time while you make your blog. So just get someone who is willing to sign those forms and it will be alright.

The 100 croquis is also a good idea. It is creative.

For driving, I don't think its CAS. since there is not much body movements there to be considered action and it definitely can't be creativity or service. If you need action hours try joining a gym or a sport which you like doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Good ideas, other than driving (come on, are you going to build up a sweat driving? :P )

At my school, supervisors aren't NECESSARY. For example, if you were training for a marathon, there's not really anyone who should properly supervise you. As long as reflections, questions, etc are done properly, unsupervised activities count.

the idea of the tutorials would be considered appropriate for CAS, just make sure to talk to your coordinator. They usually tell you where to draw the line. But the driving idea is probably not a CAS activity. For action you have to be involved in some type of activity that requires physical action. Whether that be sports, walkathons etc.

• 11 years later...