Chemistry TZ2

How did it go? I'm HL chem. I thought paper 1 was going to be good and paper 2 absolutely terrible cause the past papers looked hard with paper 2 but in the exam it was the other way around! Paper 1 was harder than usual cause the paper 1 past papers were quite easy! Paper 3 was okay. I was surprised when they asked about the founders of penicillin. I totally skipped that paragraph in the book cause it seemed too much history related and..well I just thought it wasn't important ><

I am HL too. I found Paper 1 terrible; too much moles I do not understand.... :dontgetit:

Paper 2 was easier than I expected, espically Section B questions.

Paper 3....I chose Analytical and Biochemistry. Biochemistry was much harder than I thought it would be, and I was surprised by analytical: no graphs to analyze but instead they focused on chromotography techniques and such....It wasn't as good as I expected all in all.... :confused:

How did it go? I'm HL chem. I thought paper 1 was going to be good and paper 2 absolutely terrible cause the past papers looked hard with paper 2 but in the exam it was the other way around! Paper 1 was harder than usual cause the paper 1 past papers were quite easy! Paper 3 was okay. I was surprised when they asked about the founders of penicillin. I totally skipped that paragraph in the book cause it seemed too much history related and..well I just thought it wasn't important ><

Hi, I'm HL too...

Paper 3 was awesome! Yes, they did ask about fleming, florey and chain..but i had read that once, so remembered it...Paper 2, Section A was tough i guess, especially the first question, but overall it was good. Paper 1! God! Don't know what i have done, yes it was not so easy! I just hope i get 30+ on 40 anyhow...

How much do you think you'll get in paper 1? And which two questions did you all choose for section B, paper 2? i did, 7 and 10 , and i guess 7 was quite easy! No one in my class did question 8, did any of you opted for 8? It was terrible...thank god i didn't do! And Question 9 was also very easy , i was highly confused about which one to do...And now i wish if i would have done 9 instead of 10, i would have definitely scored well! Was aiming for a 7, but now...... maybe a 6..:(:(:(

Lets see what happens, but hmm.. i feel paper 1 was the hardest!

Hi, I'm HL too...

Paper 3 was awesome! Yes, they did ask about fleming, florey and chain..but i had read that once, so remembered it...Paper 2, Section A was tough i guess, especially the first question, but overall it was good. Paper 1! God! Don't know what i have done, yes it was not so easy! I just hope i get 30+ on 40 anyhow...

How much do you think you'll get in paper 1? And which two questions did you all choose for section B, paper 2? i did, 7 and 10 , and i guess 7 was quite easy! No one in my class did question 8, did any of you opted for 8? It was terrible...thank god i didn't do! And Question 9 was also very easy , i was highly confused about which one to do...And now i wish if i would have done 9 instead of 10, i would have definitely scored well! Was aiming for a 7, but now...... maybe a 6.. :(:( :(

For paper 2 I did questions 7 and 8. I found both really easy though, easier than question 10 anyways. As for question 9, the beginning looked easy, (the Contact process), but when I saw the graph at the end I decided not to do it, although a couple of my friends who chose that question said the graph was not as hard as it looked like.

Section A was not bad I guess.

All in all it was a better paper than paper 1 I guess.

Haha Fleming, Florey and Chain! I was revising for M&D by going through the syllabus and it specifically mentioned about the development of penicillin, so I'm glad I did okay on that question :) Tricky, IB.

I am HL too. I found Paper 1 terrible; too much moles I do not understand.... :dontgetit:

Paper 3....I chose Analytical and Biochemistry. Biochemistry was much harder than I thought it would be, and I was surprised by analytical: no graphs to analyze but instead they focused on chromotography techniques and such....It wasn't as good as I expected all in all.... :confused:

P1 was awful! I think I probably scored a 3 if I'm lucky. P2 was okay, around the 4-5 band I think and P3 was incredibly easy! I'm aiming for a 7 for that one. I did Biochemistry and M&D, both of which were very generous in giving out a lot of freebie questions. Haha

Haha Fleming, Florey and Chain! I was revising for M&D by going through the syllabus and it specifically mentioned about the development of penicillin, so I'm glad I did okay on that question :) Tricky, IB.

P1 was awful! I think I probably scored a 3 if I'm lucky. P2 was okay, around the 4-5 band I think and P3 was incredibly easy! I'm aiming for a 7 for that one. I did Biochemistry and M&D, both of which were very generous in giving out a lot of freebie questions. Haha

I did 7 and 8! Even question 10 was really easy, I wish they removed that radioisotope question in section A and made number 7 or 8 or 10 in section A! Even number 9 I agree was easy, but there was a graph at the end and I just couldn't be sure whether I would get the right slope to get the Ea and the arrhenius constant! I think I made a mistake in lattice enthalpy reasoning, I think I referred to atoms rather than ions, would I still be able to earn a mark? Like with Mg2+ I mentioned it having higher lattice enthalpy because it has twice as many delocalised electrons as sodium does but then I went into explanations of ionisation energies rather than electrostatic forces of attraction and talked in terms of nuclear attraction, I think i'll lose both marks over there! What did you guys put for the methane one its sp3 but how does that tell u its shape?

Hi, I'm HL too...

How much do you think you'll get in paper 1? And which two questions did you all choose for section B, paper 2? i did, 7 and 10 , and i guess 7 was quite easy! No one in my class did question 8, did any of you opted for 8? It was terrible...thank god i didn't do! And Question 9 was also very easy , i was highly confused about which one to do...And now i wish if i would have done 9 instead of 10, i would have definitely scored well! Was aiming for a 7, but now...... maybe a 6.. :(:( :(

For paper 2 I did questions 7 and 8. I found both really easy though, easier than question 10 anyways. As for question 9, the beginning looked easy, (the Contact process), but when I saw the graph at the end I decided not to do it, although a couple of my friends who chose that question said the graph was not as hard as it looked like.

Section A was not bad I guess.

All in all it was a better paper than paper 1 I guess.

8? i thought 7,9 and 10 were quite easy for section B. And in question 9, agree, only that graph question was a little bit tricky. But yup, overall, paper two was easier than P1.

I did 7 and 8! Even question 10 was really easy, I wish they removed that radioisotope question in section A and made number 7 or 8 or 10 in section A! Even number 9 I agree was easy, but there was a graph at the end and I just couldn't be sure whether I would get the right slope to get the Ea and the arrhenius constant! I think I made a mistake in lattice enthalpy reasoning, I think I referred to atoms rather than ions, would I still be able to earn a mark? Like with Mg2+ I mentioned it having higher lattice enthalpy because it has twice as many delocalised electrons as sodium does but then I went into explanations of ionisation energies rather than electrostatic forces of attraction and talked in terms of nuclear attraction, I think i'll lose both marks over there! What did you guys put for the methane one its sp3 but how does that tell u its shape?

The lattice enthalpy question , was surely based on the ionic bonding, electrostatic forces of attraction and the energy needed to break a lattice of positive and negative ions. Even i have made a mistake there, i have written about the electronegativity difference, so not sure, if i'll earn marks there?

Methane one was quite easy, it is a tetrahedral shape, 4 single bonds, no lone pairs, so sp3 hybridization. 4 charge centers on the C atom, tell you its sp3 hybridized.

The lattice enthalpy question , was surely based on the ionic bonding, electrostatic forces of attraction and the energy needed to break a lattice of positive and negative ions. Even i have made a mistake there, i have written about the electronegativity difference, so not sure, if i'll earn marks there?

Methane one was quite easy, it is a tetrahedral shape, 4 single bonds, no lone pairs, so sp3 hybridization. 4 charge centers on the C atom, tell you its sp3 hybridized.

I put sp^3 hybridisation constitutes 4 charge centres and since methane contains no lone bairs it means 4 sigma bonds and hence bond angle of 109.5 and is tetrahedral! But apparently you need to explain that in sp^3 hybridisation one of the s orbital electrons is promoted to the p-orbital and then the 3 p-orbitals combine with the s-orbital from hydrogen to give rise to 4 new orbitals which arrange themselves equidistant from one another forming 4 sigma bonds and a tetrahedral shape! About the lattice enthalpy I am not sure man coz the way I looked at it was the whole born haber cycle so like with Mg it forms Mg2+ ions which requires greater energy than to form Na+ ion which is relatively much easier to form! I wrote about twice as many delocalised electrons which is pretty much the same as twice the charge density, maybe give me one mark if the examiner is nice enough! But we'll see! I think electronegativity doesn't apply if the non-metal is the same, its got to be the higher charge on Mg2+!

delta H of formation = delta H of atomisation + delta H of ionisation + delta H of electron affinity + lattice enthalpy so if you consider all those elements I thought lattice enthalpy would be affected by the other components like a higher delta H of ionisation in Mg's case but oh well!

I put sp^3 hybridisation constitutes 4 charge centres and since methane contains no lone bairs it means 4 sigma bonds and hence bond angle of 109.5 and is tetrahedral! But apparently you need to explain that in sp^3 hybridisation one of the s orbital electrons is promoted to the p-orbital and then the 3 p-orbitals combine with the s-orbital from hydrogen to give rise to 4 new orbitals which arrange themselves equidistant from one another forming 4 sigma bonds and a tetrahedral shape! About the lattice enthalpy I am not sure man coz the way I looked at it was the whole born haber cycle so like with Mg it forms Mg2+ ions which requires greater energy than to form Na+ ion which is relatively much easier to form! I wrote about twice as many delocalised electrons which is pretty much the same as twice the charge density, maybe give me one mark if the examiner is nice enough! But we'll see! I think electronegativity doesn't apply if the non-metal is the same, its got to be the higher charge on Mg2+!

I wrote that lattice enthalpy was irectly proportional to charge of ions and inversely proportional to the sizes, thus if the charges are the same despite the sizes being different, then the lattice enthpy is entirely dependent on the sizes, thus the smallest ion´s (Mg2+ ion) attice enthalpy will be the biggest

I wrote that lattice enthalpy was irectly proportional to charge of ions and inversely proportional to the sizes, thus if the charges are the same despite the sizes being different, then the lattice enthpy is entirely dependent on the sizes, thus the smallest ion´s (Mg2+ ion) attice enthalpy will be the biggest

In Mg2+ the ion is not only smaller, but the charge is also higher, which therefore means that the electrostatic forces of attraction are great and they need to be broken which needs more energy! In the first one with Li+ Na+ it was all dependent on the size of the ions! What did you guys write for the Al2Cl6 and Al2O3 and the electricity conductivity in molten! I said Al2O3 will conduct because of its lattice ionic structure and it has ionic bonding, in molten it possesses ions which are free to move about but will decompose the Al2O3 in the process where as Al2Cl6 is molecular, covalent structure with covalent bonds with no ions since it doesn't possess ions it won't conduct electricity!

I was really stupid and did all the questions in Section B. I totally didn't see the "Choose only 2 questions" part cause I was just too focused on finishing the paper and doing well haha. We also never did a real IB exam past paper in class, like one of the finals so...Yeah totally didn't know >< The questions in section B were easy for me though! At least, I hope so but since everyone says paper 2 was quit easy I think it will also be harder to get the marks now =/ You know..considering the bell curve and all!

I just don't get why paper 1 was so screwed up, haha. I was half in panic when doing that paper and..I just tried my best although I'm pretty sure I sucked at it lol. I don't know..overall I'm still in between about chem. I mean, come on, its Chemistry HL guys you never know :P I'm just sooooo glad its over though! Now I'm just praying to god I'm gonna pass the IB overall and I'll be happy haha. I'll jump off a bridge if I have to do it all over again! I only have this week to go and I'M DONEEEEE!!! :D

Hey did anyone else notice that there was BARELY any acids & bases + redox in the exam? Neither in paper 1 or 2! I was so happy about that cause I didn't go through the redox chapter at all! And well.. I was okay with Acids & Bases but not that good.

Edited by TheregretfulIBstudent

There was tons of acid and bases in paper 2, salt hydrolysis in section A! Entire question 8 was about buffers and pH of Ammonia and indicators!! Did we do the same timezone? And I heard they will mark your best two rather than the first two apparently its under the new rules for first exams 2009!

There was tons of acid and bases in paper 2, salt hydrolysis in section A! Entire question 8 was about buffers and pH of Ammonia and indicators!! Did we do the same timezone? And I heard they will mark your best two rather than the first two apparently its under the new rules for first exams 2009!

I have time zone 2 so if I you have it as well, we had the same question paper. I remember the buffer + pH of Ammonia question. I do not remember the salt hydrolysis part in section A :o