Self-studying Economics?

Hey! Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that you can't study a subject in IB if there is no class. If there is no class, then there is no teacher, and if there is no economics teacher then nobody would be able to grade your Internal Assessments which is a requirement. However, you could technically study economics in your free time if you're really motivated to do so. Sorry :/

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend to try it and see if you are one of those people who just understand all theories straight away and are naturally good at economics, if so you will have no problem with SL. My teacher is horrible and very bad at explaining so I basically do self-study of economics HL and am predicted a 7 (also got a 7 in both mock exams). IB course companion is a good book that explains everything in detail, sometimes even too detailed but I guess that is just what you need if you do not have a teacher.

• Like 1

I take economics HL, and to me the course is a breeze. No one in my school takes it seriously either, it's an easy 7.

Most of economics is common sense and the other bit is interpreting diagrams. I'm not sure if you're allowed to self study group 3 subjects, but it's better you ask your programme coordinator. If you can find other people who also want to take economics, why don't you request your school to offer the course? My school does that if there are 5 students who want to study a particular subject.

Good luck though, econs is a fun course!

• Like 1