Is taking 4 HL & 2 SL subjects for IB workable?

SammiDee

I currently get 6s and 7s for everything in MYP, so how do you think it would work out [would it?] for me to do 4 highers next year and 2 SL? I'm looking to attend an Ivy League college and doing these highers would keep more options available to me. My careers counsellor says I'm allowed to do 4 HL and 2 SL subjects [i dont particularly want to take a 7th] but I don't know if it would still be possible to maintain a 6s and 7s at HL if I have one more that most people. Did any of you guys take 4 highers or a 7th subejct? If so, how did you find it?

I'm considering History HL, English A1 HL, Physics HL and Maths HL, then Dutch A2 SL and Economics SL - do you think that would be workable/doable?

I think the majority of people who choose to do this start out with 4 HLs and then drop 1 of them during or at the end of IB1. Having to go to even more lessons and do even more work is taxing when you consider that the diploma is already pretty stressful, and generally it's not recognised by Universities/you don't get any reward for it. Although, I don't know about american universities.

English A1 HL isn't that much more extra work than SL, but Physics and Maths are both hard subjects at HL - and History is just a lot of content to learn. Bearing in mind the fact you have to know everything simultaneously and in great detail in the space of about 2 weeks at the end of 2 years, having a lot of content/revision-heavy subjects may seem easy when viewed individually, but in that time frame and all together, can really ruin your chances of high grades.

You can try starting out with 4 if you like and then drop if you need to, but I'd investigate just how much benefit it will really bring you. It also has the potential to bring you negatives in terms of lower grades overall and increased stress, so weigh it up :P

You do have to understand that the MYP Program and the Diploma Program are different in terms of their difficulty. A 6 or 7 in MYP may just be a 4, or a 5 in the Diploma Programme.

In the end, it'll all be up to you to decide, but in our case, and I've this from many other people as well, that in the end, they drop the 4th HL because it just gets into the way.

I'm not underestimating you though. If you think you can manage, then go for it! :)

I agree with the previous posters that taking 4 HLs might be at disadvantage if it lowers your grade or creates more stress. And the benefits of taking 4HLs might be little to nothing, from what I have heard before.

But, I am taking 4HLs right now and my grades aren't excellent but it's satisfying to me considering that it was only semester 1 grade. (Hopefully, I would improve! XD) My subject choices are somewhat similar to yours except for the language and physics. English A1 Lit HL, History HL, Biology HL, Maths HL, Econ SL, Mandarin B SL. I've also gotten 6s and 7s in the MYP. But I have to say, MYP was a walk in the park compared to the IB. It's extremely difficult to get a 7! Rrgggg. Sooo, right now, I'm getting 6's in all subjects but Maths. It is true that I might have gotten better grades if I had stayed in Maths SL rather than in Maths HL, but I don't want to make decisions for the wrong reasons. My counselor would say a 7 in Maths SL is better than a 5 in Maths HL, but I think the opposite. Plus, in Biology, the SL and HL students are basically doing the same thing until now so it wouldn't' have made much difference if I had taken Biology as SL.

It all depends on you whether you can handle it or not. Like Sandwich has pointed out, it can bring you negatives, but if you can handle it well then why don't you seize the opportunity? I think you can get college credits for getting a grade of 5 or higher in the HL subjects in the US (like how AP works). A lot of people told me that taking 4 HLs is worthless, but I think it's worth giving a try so that you won't regret anything afterwards. Best of luck to you!

Edited by flowerly

you see, in flowerly's case I think her 4HL2SL is manageable. why? because HL bio is somewhat less crazy than HL physics (or at least that's what people say).

the problem with English HL is that you'll have to READ so many books. which level do you want to take? Literature, or Language and Literature? if Lang&Lit perhaps it's manageable, but pure Lit might be tougher.

the problem with History HL is, as people say above, it's a lot of content. from your other subject choices it looks like you're going into engineering so Hist HL won't give you any credits whatsoever. it's useless.

Physics HL and Maths HL are indeed difficult, but if you want to go into Engineering this is the perfect combo.

I'm not sure what you like / what you're good at though. which subjects are you strongest at? which subjects do you like the most?

and what are your plans for uni? there's no use in maintaining too broad opportunities, so if you really are clueless right now, start out with 4 HL and drop one later in the course when you find out which subject is the most unnecessary to you.

• Like 2

Coincidentally, I (currently) take English Lit. HL, Maths HL, Physics HL and History HL as well! I'm liking my subjects... mostly. Maths and Physics are hard, but I think it is doable with the right amount of determination (not sure that I have it). From what I've experienced so far, English is an easier subject than History, primarily because History requires a bit more 'focus' and actual 'content learning' than English. Also, Physics is more conceptual than Maths. Just a warning though - I'm already through 160 pages of Maths exercise book, and it's only been 6 weeks of school for me. I sense also that you like sciences in general, but like humanities more - so doing History/Economics is probably good, and Economics takes some pressure off as I've heard it's a somewhat 'easier' subject.

I'm actually planning to change my HL to: English HL, Geography HL, and Maths HL. I like my maths class, I think geography has easier content but history is more interesting reading, and I think that we're going to not have enough class time to cover Physics HL (because sciences and maths are chronically under-scheduled at our school).

You should definitely start with 4HL though, because it gives you room to switch out in case Maths/Physics doesn't work out.

I agree that it s a waste of time to do 4. Also Ivy league do not really consider you to be any higher. Its more if you get 6, 7's (which are looked at equally btw) and tbh I would be more concerned with just getting a higher overall grade. This combined with SAT's and extra circ (CAS) will be the deciding factors.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

A person in my class is going to start out with 4 HLs, because she's not sure of which subjects she wants to take to a higher level. Then, after a little while, she's going to drop (to SL) the one she likes the least :) In my school, we have to take 4 HLs if we choose Maths HL, in case we drop it (almost all our students have done so)

I'm taking 4 HLs as well. English, Mandarin, History and Economics. Mandarin is extremely hard for me...I'm barely pulling 5s. However, I still managed 39 out of 42 in my latest report. So yes, it is manageable.

But Physics+maths? That might cause a problem. If you're smart at quantitative subjects, then it might be fine for you.