Jackson Mote

Hey everyone!

For my Math Studies Internal Assessment, I am considering collecting data on the number and type of cars owned by a family vs. the families approximate income.

I would be able to conduct a survey among my school's students as well as conducting the survey on IB Survival.

My main concerns are that the data will be consistent and that I will not have enough to analyze.

Do you have any thoughts on this topic? Maybe some ways to improve it?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Another IB Victim

Well, that really depends on what your hypotheses are going to be. Ideally you should have three "good ones" that will form the basis of your analysis and how you use your data.

In terms of consistency, you'd be surprised at how many logical patterns and relationships you would have expected to come out, actually don't. I wouldn't worry to much about the analysis, just make sure you have a good amount of data. Don't be afraid to use secondary sources.

To expand the investigation though, you might want to look at other factors that may affect the number of cars owned by a family. Perhaps the distance needed to travel to work (no need for a car if you work 5 minutes away).

Good luck! :)

• Like 1

Guest Another IB Victim

Why everybody does their math studies projec on statistics??? the examiners are bored with so much statistics

Fair point. But I think it's probably because it's the easiest.

• 7 months later...

These days I will begin working on my IA and I have 3 possible topics:

1. nr. of elective IB subjects in my school, nr of students, and probability that one of them will be chosen. This can also be done through statistics to see how frequently one suject is chosen.

2. height and relation to shoe size in women

3. different types of TV shows and nr. of commercials during one episode

what do you think about them? which one is the best for investigation?

• 3 weeks later...