Math Hl IB 1

kinguncaged1

Ok good!! Now I know that I am not behind!! I was just worried because everyone seems to think that math HL is very difficult but I don't think there was any conceptually difficult material thus far!

In my school we have covered: Functions, Sequences&Series, Exponents, Logarithms, Quadratic equations and functions, Complex Numbers and Polynomials, Counting and the Binomial Theorem, Mathematical Induction

We are also using the haese and harris book which I completely detest!

How much homework do you guys typically do for math?

Edited by kinguncaged1

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, we've done sequence and series, basic functions, mathematical inductions, complex nummbers, polynomials, binomial expansion, and logarithms, and now we're starting on probability. Until now, just basic algebraic stuffs. I feel like we're going really slowly too... I'm not spending enough time on maths. I've been only cramming for tests for the past semester and I feel the urge to fix that. :D I think I've been spending only 2 hrs on math everyweek. :l

• 1 month later...

This is very worrying.

I just stumbled upon this thread and I now seriously doubt if my class will finish the syllabus in time.

IB1 is nearing its end with 3 or so months to go and all we have done is:

Functions, polynomials, trigonometry, derivatives (first and second), basic integration and exponentials + logs

From what I've heard these topics are among the easiest and fastest done.

Can anyone confirm this or are probability, binomial theorem etc. also not "that bad". :dontgetit:

Well i can tell you that my class has until now done the following:

Surds, Complex Numbers, Logs, Series and Sequences, Induction, Binomial/Counting,Functions, Triginometry , Matrix algebra, and half way through vectors...

But honestly binomial theorem was quite a joke... it could be done in an hour or so! But it seems that your class has already begun some calculus while mine hasn't.

Suddenly, I feel like my teacher is a god!

We've done: The simple stuff - algebra and the like; polynomials; binomial theorem; functions and relations; transformations of graphs; exponential, logarithmic functions; sequences and series; mensuration; trignometry; complex numbers; induction; probability; counting principles and are just beginning calculus

Edited by krakaton

^how much homework would you say you get on average per night in just math? Also do you remember stuff you've done before like polynomials and trig and stuff?

We usually don't get more than 30 minutes a night. Our teacher told us the first day that he will get us all 4's, but we would have to work for the rest. That said, however, he always helps me out if I ask him for help with a question that wasn't from our homework/classwork as long as I do it in my own time and don't interrupt class.

And yes, most of the concepts carry forward through the Maths HL course - so one tends to get revision of trigonometry during complex numbers and calculus and polynomials are involved almost everywhere. I also do a mild "refresher course" once a month for a few hours and do a few questions from each chapter.

By the way, how do you guys in IB1 study/prepare for maths? How much work do you put into it?

I do at least an hour a day - but I've been doing that religiously for 8 years. Most people in my class need at least 2 hours per day of maths to maintain decent HL grades. If you want a 7 - you need a passion for maths, you need to be slightly smarter than everyone else and you need to work 3 hours a day.

• 2 weeks later...