How hard was your Ib school to get into?

• 1 year later...

People have misunderstood my original post a bit. Just because we have an exam and not everyone gets in does not mean we have to pay! Pretty much all schools in Finland are public and FREE! I think its an American thing that if a school does not let everyone in then it must be private and expensive... Thats a cultural difference, in the US if a school does not let everyone in and is higher standard then everyone assumes it must an expensive private school, while in Finland having to pay for education seems preposterous.

I'm from Finland and I'm in the Pre-IB right now, and the entry fee was 400 euros i think. And the cost for IB1 will probably be even higher.

Edited by Lynxarin

People have misunderstood my original post a bit. Just because we have an exam and not everyone gets in does not mean we have to pay! Pretty much all schools in Finland are public and FREE! I think its an American thing that if a school does not let everyone in then it must be private and expensive... Thats a cultural difference, in the US if a school does not let everyone in and is higher standard then everyone assumes it must an expensive private school, while in Finland having to pay for education seems preposterous.

I'm from Finland and I'm in the Pre-IB right now, and the entry fee was 400 euros i think. And the cost for IB1 will probably be even higher.

My school was Oulun Lyseon Lukio, what was yours?

My school was Oulun Lyseon Lukio, what was yours?

It's Vasa Övningsskolas Gymnasium (="vaasan lukio")

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't think we even 'apply' at my school? I'm in the second graduating class to go through the program; last year there were 7 seniors and this year I think my class has about 10 (it was 14 but a lot of people dropped). I applied to my IB classes the same as any other classes, so as long as your previous teachers signed off on it, you could take full IB classes. The only competitive aspect is for TOK class, as in the full diploma students are considered first, and then anyone else can join after.

• 4 months later...

Everyone that applied to the IB at my school got in. Our IB class is tiny (16 people) and in aiming to grow the programme, everyone is still let in. We don't have to take a test or anything, but eventually wether you get in or not will be based on your grades from 11th grade (the last grade before starting the IB). 

For my school, I also had to get in through a lottery since I was out of area. Luckily I got in, and it wasn't till this current year (I am a sophomore), that I thought about joining IB. Originally I was planning to just do AP classes, have 2 and a half this year, but IB appeals more to me because of the creative thinking involved, presentations, and essays to write. Pretty much anyone who applies to IB gets in though you had to turn in the application this past Monday, and afterwards it's based on space availability. Also, if you have serious issues in attendance and such they will have a serious talk with you.   

• 2 weeks later...

In my country, there are only 2 IB schools. There were around 300+ applicants (I think) and 35 were accepted. We had to write an essay, activities, grade transcripts and much more... Then we went through the first interview, and then, that left only 70-ish people. After that - general selection and we're down to 35. That's limited to my country, idk about others, depends on the national comitee.

Edited by Brainer

My school in an international and IB-only school, so no one really "applies" for the IB-Programme. After 10th grade, if you have at least 5 A*-C grades you just choose your subjects for IB and... that's it. The only thing you really need is money. It's a private school, and as long as you're paying them, they're happy and you're in.

I think the only restriction in the programme itself, is that you can't choose HL maths unless you either got an A* or A in the IGCSE or you got at least a C in Additional Maths IGCSE...

So yeah, not that hard to be honest.

When I lived in the US, IB was highly competitive to get in to. You had to have A / B in all academic subjects as well as have taken Algebra 1 Honors and a modern language in 8th grade. I'm not sure how the selection process worked but I think about 50% of applicants or so made it, possibly less. But I moved to Sweden before I could start Pre there and here its VERY easy. The city I live in is relatively small and some years they barely have enough students for a class. So they pretty much accept anyone who applies, just to form a class. 

The school I go to is a public school so there is a psp program, and then there is the IB program, and honestly it's not hard at all to get in the program, all you had to do is just get a 50% so like pass all your courses, we had about 150 students in the first year because they just let everyone in the program and now there are only 48 of us

• 3 weeks later...

I go to a public school in the US that also has an MYP programme. I wasn't in MYP in grades 6-8, but the kids who were got first preference in the application process. To qualify for IB, a person needed to be in the honor roll in middle school (not difficult), 80th percentile in standardized English and Math tests, have 5 teacher recommendations, write a creative essay, and go through an interview process. Kids who successfully completed MYP automatically moved up to IB after 10th grade.

I can't say it was a slam dunk to get in, but it wasn't that hard. I got lucky because the year I applied, the IB Program doubled in size, so I feel like they were a lot less selective than they were in previous years.