IB Physics SL Year 1

B2theRich

In all honesty. I need to know that I'm at a place when this year ends that there is enough time to still be ready for the Exams I'll be taking this time next year! My teacher has taught us parallel to his lower leveled classes and gave us the same materials as them. I'm not to sure what we have even covered this year other than projectiles, frequencies (we are studying now along with standing waves), gravitational stuff that deals with outer space, springs, circular and uniform motion, there was more... but that's all I can remember. We are spending now to the end of the year (June) on frequencies and apparently there is a lot more to be covered! Any suggestions. Tips. Things that can be done.... Anything really!

P.S. I have looked at examinations up to may 2008 on my own cause we aren't supplied with IB questions to practice with and I am not able to answer any of these questions! And as a class, we have tried confronting him about out concerns but he doesn't understand. We even went to the IB Coordinator of the school and Superintendent and nothing has been done.

In all honesty. I need to know that I'm at a place when this year ends that there is enough time to still be ready for the Exams I'll be taking this time next year! My teacher has taught us parallel to his lower leveled classes and gave us the same materials as them. I'm not to sure what we have even covered this year other than projectiles, frequencies (we are studying now along with standing waves), gravitational stuff that deals with outer space, springs, circular and uniform motion, there was more... but that's all I can remember. We are spending now to the end of the year (June) on frequencies and apparently there is a lot more to be covered! Any suggestions. Tips. Things that can be done.... Anything really!

P.S. I have looked at examinations up to may 2008 on my own cause we aren't supplied with IB questions to practice with and I am not able to answer any of these questions! And as a class, we have tried confronting him about out concerns but he doesn't understand. We even went to the IB Coordinator of the school and Superintendent and nothing has been done.

Heh, you could buy some books or get them from your library, and start teaching yourself the course! :) Even though, if you like Physics, it will be really easy for ya. I would recommend you getting the Oxford Physics Study Guide by Tim Kirk and Pearson Bac HL Physics (I assume you're doing HL) by Chris Hamper. If they don't have it at your library, you should buy them then. Very recommendable.

• 2 weeks later...

Well even though its scaled so much, its still very hard to get those point.

To the OP, I would advise you get a good textbook. I use tsokos, but that isnt all that great, but it will suffice cause its specially designed for IB. I would just use the 'regular textbook' for the explanations and then supplement it with the IB text

Well even though its scaled so much, its still very hard to get those point.

To the OP, I would advise you get a good textbook. I use tsokos, but that isnt all that great, but it will suffice cause its specially designed for IB. I would just use the 'regular textbook' for the explanations and then supplement it with the IB text

You can try adding the study guide in the book mix also!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uh Oh, that doesn't sound good. I advise you to get your own text and work with it, maybe with some other kids in your class?

p.s. Forget everything you were taught about projectiles, its been removed from the SL syllabus.

Just because something is removed from the syllabus doesn't mean it's not useful in completing other problems. Besides, there's not much additional concepts to projectile motion that's not already in kinematics, so it could help your further understand everything in general.

Uh Oh, that doesn't sound good. I advise you to get your own text and work with it, maybe with some other kids in your class?

p.s. Forget everything you were taught about projectiles, its been removed from the SL syllabus.

Just because something is removed from the syllabus doesn't mean it's not useful in completing other problems. Besides, there's not much additional concepts to projectile motion that's not already in kinematics, so it could help your further understand everything in general.

That's right, someone can study things from the HL Syllabus to understand other concepts clearly!

I bet your teacher is better than mine.... my class did not even finish electricity in the first year....

It is a good signal that you are SL....u don't have to worry about the options.

Try to concentrate on the core topics. U really need to do plenty of exercises.... Gather all your classmates to request IB papers.....

BTW.... keep an eye on your IAs, make sure they are at least OK

u don't have to worry about the options

Actually, as an SL student you do need to take options, two to be precise. However, at least for me, I found paper 3 to be a lot easier than papers 1 and 2; must have been because it's only two topics, although they do build up on previous concepts. The options my class took were quantum physics (which is actually an HL core topic) and astrophysics.

For quantum physics, you should know kinematics, electricity and wave phenomena; nuclear physics (another part of the SL core) is also useful to know and ties in very well with this option.

For astrophysics, you should know kinematics and wave phenomena - but most of the option relies on formulas that only apply to it.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe nobody has mentioned the IB question bank. I must have spent days doing those exercises!

Also, I took a OSC course in Cambridge which really helped! Just meeting a teacher who knew how to teach was very inspiring, I didn't really do to much homework... But that might be a little to late for you, as the summer is soon over.