Drake Glau

A 0.50 kg cue ball makes a glancing blow to a stationary 0.50 kg billiard ball. After the collision the cue ball deflects with a speed of 1.2 m/s at an angle of 30.0º from its original path. Calculate the original speed of the cue ball if the billiard ball ends up travelling at 1.6 m/s.

thanks

Hmmm either this is vectors or the angle is there to screw with you...because I feel like it's not needed...

You have to conserve momentum which is p=mv...

so 0.50*1.2=0.6

and 0.50*1.6=0.8

So the initial momentum had to be 1.4 and by rearranging p=mv you can get v=p/m or v=1.4/0.5 which is 2.8m/s...

But I'm not comfortable leaving the angle out :(

Hmmm either this is vectors or the angle is there to screw with you...because I feel like it's not needed...

You have to conserve momentum which is p=mv...

so 0.50*1.2=0.6

and 0.50*1.6=0.8

So the initial momentum had to be 1.4 and by rearranging p=mv you can get v=p/m or v=1.4/0.5 which is 2.8m/s...

But I'm not comfortable leaving the angle out :(

thanks for the help

Guest kenshi64

It was already answered, sorry =/ Apparently he asked in two places...

Sorry! still getting used to the rules, won't take long, I'm here almost daily!!

• 1 month later...

Doubt: When the textbook says that during beta decay the neutron changes to proton and electron(Beta negative, I assume)

So is my assumption right?

eh... during beta decay the nucleus releases an antineutrino. it loses an electron, so it kinda gets one more proton.

in the case of a neutron, yes it is right.

you must have seen this:

NeutronDecay.jpg

in that case, yes it becomes a proton because the nucleus now gains one proton, and since it initially had 0 proton, now it becomes a "proton".

but in a beta decay, the nucleus doesn't always change into proton. if the decaying nucleus is not only a neutron, they will become the next element in the periodic table as it now has one more proton.

example:

Beta-Example1.GIF

Beta-Example2.GIF

like Carbon now has 7 protons, but it's no longer Carbon. it's Nitrogen. same with the second example.

your assumption is correct but remember if it's not just a neutron then it'll be a different element not just a proton.

• 1 month later...
Guest -Guns of Steel-

Hey guys can you have a look at my lab? I think there's a problem with it.

Check out the file attached, the problem I'm facing is that the graph is a best-fit built of the values in the table so there's no point in the comparing the difference between the two Rs right? (R1-being resistance obtained as average of the 4 values, R2 being Gradient of graph obtained from those values itself!

post-63670-0-65416700-1318380646_thumb.j

Part of me is really confused because the gradient of that line should be your resistance, another part of me is saying that your experiment had some error in it. When we did a lab over Ohm's law we ALL had perfect data where every point landed directly on the line.

Because of this I would definitely compare the two values and discuss which one would be more accurate (I'm voting that the average is more accurate) and discuss any possible problems that could have lead to the different values. One that I can think of is that you only have 4 data points which I don't personally consider sufficient data (our teacher required a minimum of 10) and the two points with the greater amps are off the line enough to screw the slope up. Having more data points would of aided in keeping the slope closer to what it should be. This could also be opposite, the two lesser amp point could be the erroneous points, either way results in a greater slope though. I'm voting the average being more accurate since either pair of points could be the "false" ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we have speeds and are asked about kinetic energy. Ek=0.5mv2 but since the m and the 0.5 really don't change...at all...so we just need to know that the velocity is squared.

The kinetic energy BEFORE collision is of course related to the speed before the collision, but it's also squared because of the relation to the kinetic energy so that would be u2. The kinetic energy after collision would be v2 but the kinetic energy loss would imply some subtraction so I'm going to go with D.

ah.... shoot.....the area. :dash:

cheers.

8jkM.png

Won't the ammeter and voltmeter both read 0? (answers says otherwise O.o)

The voltmeter should read 6 cuz it stays the same

and the ammeter should be 1 cuz Rtotal = 12, and therfore current = 2 and the current through that is 1. I could be wrong though someone correct me.

V=IR

I=V/R, that'd be 6/12=0.5amps, then splits to 0.25amps.

Anyway, my guess would be to consider the resistance of the voltmeter. All voltmeters are made with really high resistances because they are usually placed in parallel causing the inverse resistance thing yadayada. Considering it is now in series and still has the high resistance that would make your resistance skyrocket and sadly it's in the denominator of ohm's law so your current just dropped like a rock, and then was split it two to make it worse XD

^My best guess, I'd probably would've just done the circuit and found out that 1amp isn't possible and then just go with B since I don't have time to waste on actually figuring it out during the actual paper XD

• Like 1