Drake Glau

Same number of topics but HL has extensions. So for SL you'd do like half of topic n then if you were HL you'd do even more of the topic. Still 2 options.

I could be wrong, I'm basing this kind of off chemistry and hoping physics follows along. You can however open up your handy dandy equation packet that has all the equations listed by topic which would give you the name and number of all the topics. Just remember that is the topic is a LETTER, it is an option, not core.

Hey, I'm a Physics SL, in the middle of one of my lab reports. I'm terribly stupid, when it comes to Physics and I have a question.

I'm describing the Acceleration vs. Height of the tube graph. Maybe you know that one? When the ball has to roll through the tube and you have to calculate the acceleration, by changing the height of the tube?

I managed to make a graph, even my teacher approved it, when I showed it to her. But now I have to comment, why the graph is exponential and I have NO CLUE. I've got the equation, but that is not commenting, so I'm stuck. Maybe someone could please explain?..

Hey IBers , I need help with this question:

The coefficient of kinetic friction for a 21kg bobsled on a track is 0.10. What force is required to push it down a 6° incline and achieve a speed of 63km/h at the end of 75m?

And this one:

A window washer pulls herself upward using the bucket-pulley apparatus shown in the figure . The mass of the person plus the bucket is 63kg.

GIANCOLI.ch04.p29.jpg

How hard must she pull downward to raise herself slowly at constant speed? If she increases this force by 12% what will her acceleration be?

I know I have to use some trigonometry (or at least I think so) for the first part. :S Please show all working, thank you guys

• 1 month later...

I don't get how to do this simple problem about power and efficiency without the Time:

If I have 75 watts car which is 70% efficient find its top speed ( m =1000kg )

Formulas are:

Power= work done/time

Power= Energy/Time

Power=Force*Velocity

and if I get the Energy I can use:

Ke= mv^2/2

Kinetic Energy= Mass*Velocity^2 / 2

75W=75J/s=a Ke of 75, with 70% efficiency that's 75*0.7

75*0.7=(1000000*V)/2

V2=[(75*0.7)*2]/m

You had it all done already in your post, you just weren't seeing the P=W/t=E/t

Edit: Answering your question over not having a time. Top speed is an instantaneous rate so you can assume it to be only 1 second which basically turned your power given directly into energy without any calculations.

Edited by Drake Glau

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody! I'm writing some physics notes at the moment, and I got really stuck on understanding uncertainties. I was hoping if somebody could provide a simple explanation to uncertainties. What is the difference between limit of reading and uncertainties? Is the uncertainty the 0.1 in this example? 1.2 s ± 0.1. Please help me understand!! Thanks! :)

I'm doing my physics IA into simple harmonic motion and using the equation T = 2π*√m/k

However, when I find out k by changing round the equation, the units do not make sense

By manipulating the equation: k = (2π/(T/√m))²

This would mean the units for k are s/kg^1/2

But the units for k the spring constant is normally N/m or kg/s2 ??

Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance.

Edited by neek

• 3 weeks later...

Newton is usually the only unit for force, yes.

What do you mean by "types of forces"?

Technically speaking using a stapler would use electromagnetic force as the stapler and you are both slightly negative so when you push down you and the stapler repel and it is pushed "down"

There is also the 4 fundamental forces:

Strong/Weak Nuclear Force - Control subatomic stuff. Nuclei are held together by the strong force for example, it's very strong (relatively speaking here) and works on a VERY small distance. The weak force is behind all the radioactive decay and those smaller particles like mostly all the leptons (electrons, positrons, and neutrinos are the leptons you'll need to know later).

Electromagnetic Force - It's the force behind...electromagnetic interactions...magnetism, electric fields/charges.

Gravitational Force - It's gravity...yea...

Edited by Drake Glau

I hate how Option G doesn't have any worked solutions on Tsokos' website. Here's one that's been bothering me:

The index of refraction for blue light of wavelength 4.5 * 10-7 for a particular kind of glass is 1.328 and for red light of wavelength 6.5 * 10-7 it is 1.321. White light is incident on an equilateral triangular prism made of this glass parallel to one of its bases. What are the angles that the blue and red rays make with the normal as they emerge from the prism?

Hello,

I don't if this has been asked before. So sorry if this question is repeated.

In topic 10, are the heat engine and heat pump included?

Because I can't find them in the syllabus, and the teacher didn't even mention them in class.

But I was solving past papers the other day, and I saw a lot of questions about them.

So where they included before, and now they are out of the syllabus?

Also, what about the Carnot Cycle?

Thank you

Hello,

I don't if this has been asked before. So sorry if this question is repeated.

In topic 10, are the heat engine and heat pump included?

Because I can't find them in the syllabus, and the teacher didn't even mention them in class.

But I was solving past papers the other day, and I saw a lot of questions about them.

So where they included before, and now they are out of the syllabus?

Also, what about the Carnot Cycle?

Thank you

Ya halla be shbab el ordon :D

To answer your question , if you check the 2009 physics syllabus you can find in Topic 10 and specifically 10.3 which is about second law of thermodynamics , to understand this rule you should understand how Heat engine and Heat pump work !! .. for the Carnot engine it's removed from the 2009 syllabus howver as our teacher say , " you will not loose anything if you understood it "