Drake Glau

lenses.gif

No?

Well...

How would you solve it if the mirror was concave, anyways?

Well, object needs to be between the focal point and the mirror.

-(di/do)=2

(1/do)+(1/di)=1/15

So you need a di twice as big as the do and when you add their inverses you get 1/15...

45di and -22.5do (negative because it's on the left side of the mirror

I seriously just did that my process of elimination of numbers divisible by 15...

-(45/-22.5)=2

(1/22.5)+(1/45)

(2/45)+(1/45)=3/45=1/15

Well, that's not between the focal point and the mirror...I don't know whats going on now =/

Edited by Drake Glau

Two questions: i) The solar intensity at the position of the Earth is 1380 W/m2. The average albedo of Earth is 0.300. Show that the average reflected intensity from the Earth is about 100 W/m2.

ii) One of the expected results of global warming is an increased sea level. The increase in volume ΔV for a temperature ΔT is given by ΔV=ϒVΔT. Show, using the following data, that the resulting rise in sea level is about 0.5m.

Temperature increase = 2.0 C

Surface area of oceans on Earth= 3.6E8 km2

Average ocean depth = 3.0 km

ϒ = 8.8E-5

Two questions: i) The solar intensity at the position of the Earth is 1380 W/m2. The average albedo of Earth is 0.300. Show that the average reflected intensity from the Earth is about 100 W/m2.

ii) One of the expected results of global warming is an increased sea level. The increase in volume ΔV for a temperature ΔT is given by ΔV=ϒVΔT. Show, using the following data, that the resulting rise in sea level is about 0.5m.

Temperature increase = 2.0 C

Surface area of oceans on Earth= 3.6E8 km2

Average ocean depth = 3.0 km

ϒ = 8.8E-5

Umm I'm not sure on the the first one, albedo is the reflecting coefficient so I would think that'd be 1380*0.300 but that equals 414, not 100. Sorry :(

Use the equation and plug stuff in. Your initial volume will be the surface area*dept.

(8.8E-5)*(3.6E8*3)*2=deltaV

I came up with 190,080km^3

But that was with a crappy computer calculator :P

v = at

d=vt+1/2at², the v is initial velocity which is 0 so...

d = vt = 1/2 at²

d = 1/2 a(d/v)² = 1/2 a d²/v²

a = 2v²/d

F=ma

F=m(2v²/d)

F/m=2v²/d

Fd/m=2v²

Dividing by two, multiply by 0.5, same thing so

(1/2)Fd/m is the same as Fd/2m so

Fd/2m=v² therefore

v=sqrt[Fd/2m]

Friction and the force you're pushing with work in opposite directions ( (Y) ) so your F=Fp-Ff

Anser should be D. v=sqrt[(Fp-Ff)d/2m]

Sorry I believe it's C as we use work-energy theorem:

F.x=(mv^2)/2

Given that F=Fp-Ff and x=d we substitute and solve for v...

(Fp-Ff)2d=mv^2

v=sqrt[(Fp-Ff)2d/m]----> answer D

Any physics students out there please help!!!

A lead bullet is fired into an iron plate where is deforms and stops. As a result, the temperature of the lead increases by an amount ΔT. For a lead bullet having twice the mass but the same spee d of impact, what would be the best estimate of its temperature increase?

A. 1/2 ΔT

B. ΔT

C. √2 ΔT

D. 2 ΔT

Thanks in advance

It's D. Given that Temperature is proportional to the avg Kin Energy, we know that KE=mv^2/2, if mass is doubled then the temp is doubled--->2 ΔT

Sorry I believe it's C as we use work-energy theorem:

F.x=(mv^2)/2

Given that F=Fp-Ff and x=d we substitute and solve for v...

(Fp-Ff)2d=mv^2

v=sqrt[(Fp-Ff)2d/m]----> answer D

You just contradicted yourself and confirmed Drake's solution in fewer lines! :blink:

Any physics students out there please help!!!

A lead bullet is fired into an iron plate where is deforms and stops. As a result, the temperature of the lead increases by an amount ΔT. For a lead bullet having twice the mass but the same spee d of impact, what would be the best estimate of its temperature increase?

A. 1/2 ΔT

B. ΔT

C. √2 ΔT

D. 2 ΔT

Thanks in advance

It's D. Given that Temperature is proportional to the avg Kin Energy, we know that KE=mv^2/2, if mass is doubled then the temp is doubled--->2 ΔT

KE = mv^2/2 is the total kinetic energy.

Average kinetic energy would be mv^2/(2n), n being the number of particles in the bullet. Doubling the mass also doubles the number of molecules, the two cancel and the average kinetic energy stays the same. --> ΔT (B)

I know this is very stupid, but anyway I need to know how to do this type of question. For example:

A car drives the first 10 m with a constant speed for 3 s, the next 5 m with a different constant speed for 4 s and the last 7 m with yet a different constant speed for 6 s.

How do I find the average speed?

I usually do it by:

Speed = (10*3 + 5*4 +7*6)/(3+4+6) = 7.1 m/s

I think there should be a better and simpler method than that.

How would you guys do this question? Is there any fixed formula for this type of question?

Would it be easier if there was a distance/time graph? How to do it then?

I know this is very stupid, but anyway I need to know how to do this type of question. For example:

A car drives the first 10 m with a constant speed for 3 s, the next 5 m with a different constant speed for 4 s and the last 7 m with yet a different constant speed for 6 s.

How do I find the average speed?

I usually do it by:

Speed = (10*3 + 5*4 +7*6)/(3+4+6) = 7.1 m/s

I think there should be a better and simpler method than that.

How would you guys do this question? Is there any fixed formula for this type of question?

Would it be easier if there was a distance/time graph? How to do it then?

[(10/3)+(5/4)+(7/6)]/3

Find the speeds then average them is what I'd do. 1.92m/s is what I get.

I'm not sure why you are multiplying your distance by your time. It isn't traveling 10m in 1 second, it's traveling 10m in 3. Are you just adding the distance total and then dividing by the total time?

10+5+6/(3+4+6)

21/13=1.62m/s

Or I guess you could do a weighted average and use the time/total time to find your percents that each speed was occurring during the total time.

(10/3)*(3/13)=0.77

(5/4)*(4/13)=0.38

(7/6)*(6/13)=0.54

Total average speed equaling 1.69

I don't like how I got 3 different numbers but I would personally go with the weighted average one because it takes into account how long a speed lasted where a normal average wouldn't.

Edited by Drake Glau
  • Like 1

oh geez what am I doing!

mmm I think it should be (10+5+7)/(3+4+6) then? so 1.69.

I think your weighted average and percentage thing makes the most sense. I'll go with that one. thank you!

but I'm still waiting for answers from other people because I really want to be sure because I don't want to get this kind of question wrong! it's quite an easy mark and I don't wanna lose it... thanks!

oh geez what am I doing!

mmm I think it should be (10+5+7)/(3+4+6) then? so 1.69.

I think your weighted average and percentage thing makes the most sense. I'll go with that one. thank you!

but I'm still waiting for answers from other people because I really want to be sure because I don't want to get this kind of question wrong! it's quite an easy mark and I don't wanna lose it... thanks!

I'd go with Drake's answer of 1.69. When those kind of problems appear, my method is to sum the total distance and the total time, and divide those values. Bam!

You will get the average velocity/speed that way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You are trying to get the kinetic energy formula purely in terms of the masses, therefore, you replace velocity with momentum:

K1 = (1/2)x(m1)x(v1)2

divided by

K2 = (1/2)x(m2)x(v2)2

The (1/2)'s cancel, and in the next step, you use the formula p = mv and replace v in the equation with (p/m).

(m1)x(p1/m1)2

divided by

(m2)x(p2/m2)2

One of the masses in each equation cancels, leaving one mass on the bottom and the momentum squared on the top.

(p12)/(m1) divided by (p22)/(m2)

Change divide to multiply sign, flip the second fraction and multiply together to give:

(p12x m2)/(m1x p22)

Seeing as the momentum's given are the same, they cancel giving (m2)/(m1)

Which is answer A.

... phew :P

Edited by Sublime Sunshine
  • Like 2

The change in temperature is different because of the differing specific heat capacities of the two mediums.

Consider Q to be the amount of energy which was transferred from the copper block to the steel block:

Q = m1c1(delta T1) for the copper block

and similarly

Q = m2c2(delta T2) for the steel block

m1 is the copper block and

m2 is the steel block.

As Q is the same for these expressions:

m1c1(delta T1) = m2c2(delta T2)

Seeing as the masses are equal, they cancel and we are left with:

c1(delta T1) = c2(delta T2)

The specific heat capacities of copper and steel are different, therefore for this equation to be true,

(delta T1) cannot be equal to (delta T2)

in other words, they must be different.

• Like 1