is 2 weeks of studying enough to ace the SAT?

JustAnotherAsian

No amount of studying will prepare you for an sort of standardized test in my opinion. The whole test is your reasoning capabilities. I personally have no taken it so I'm not sure how it goes but from that I'm betting they aren't going to throw basic math and science questions at you but will be more along the lines of finding whatever answer using any random knowledge pertaining to the issue.

Goodluck acing any test really, they aren't made to be easy :D

Depends on what you define as "ace."

2350 is considered very high, so I'll just use that as my reference point.

I studied for a week, about five hours a day, (for the five days before the test) and scored a 2260. However, I do not believe that it is possible to do something like that unless you are on break, and are willing to set aside hours of time aside from the studying in order to take practice tests.

I think that if you do your studying for two weeks, and then intersperse your monthly study dates with practice test dates, you could probably score a 2400 (if testing conditions and other subjective factors are favorable). Actually, from my knowledge of the test, and my own experience, if anyone sets aside that much time and effort, it would be difficult to score less than 2200.

Good Luck!!

:D

Not sure. I did pretty well without studying, and I think studying very hard might have bumped up my score a bit. But I would estimate your maximum range of improvement to be something like 100-150 (at best!) ... I know people who've taken a full length practice test every day for five days and improved something like 60 points. It's an aptitude test, maybe, or perhaps a test of your accumulated knowledge over a lifetime (probably a bit of both). Not something you can study for in the traditional sense.

Do it now, so that you do not have to manage your IB exams on top of SAT.

Take a practice test to see where you stand, and then work on your weaknesses. I know everyone says there's 3 sections when it comes to technical terms, but in my opinion there is 4 sections that you need to practice for. So, out of 14 days, you should arrange your study time to include which section (Math, Reading, Essay, or Writing) is your weakest the most, and then work around that.

Buy the big SAT blue book or download the thousands of practice tests. Honestly, I believe IB kids do not need to take a "SAT prep course," as long as they score above 1500+ cold. I took one and it was a waste of money that I could have spent for the test itself. Instead, just do practice tests, because once you get exposed to the same types of questions, it's much easier to understand what the test is asking for you.

I'd give a source, but I just took the SAT this past test date (December) and my scores won't be out for another week, I believe. I, however, did score 200 on the PSAT (a preliminary SAT test designed to tell you where you stand if you were to take the real test). Not enough for Merit Scholar, but enough to make me happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I should probably clarify my previous comment. In theory the SAT, ACT, or any other aptitude test for that matter, should not, and can not, be studied for. Of course this is not true in reality, and my previous comment goes into detail about that. And just for honesty I mentioned that I got a 2260 studying, but I got a 2200 without it...

What I meant about hard to not score a 2200 is that most of my friends who studied religiously like that (you can't believe how nutty some of us Americans are) scored very well considering how badly they did without studying. Once you hit 2100-2200 studying seems to not help much (im drawing from myself and a few of my friends).

Also, as I said, you kind of have to be on break to study a lot...i got lucky in the sense that my school had a week long break right before the SAT, and I had all of my hw done early...it made sense to study four to five hours a day-I would have bored without it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't study at all and I got a 2190, I practiced the essay and learned the format (got a 3 the first time lol) and got 2250, for 2260 cumulative.

Reviewing test questions from a practice book might help familiarize yourself with the SAT, but honestly it really depends on what everyone else mentioned - if you're good at taking tests or not.

Well i didn't study for it but I got 2050.. I know its not that great but seeing how long and boring that exam is i don't think I could have done better. Got a short attention span.lol After 2 or so hours of sitting and answering multiple choice questions, my brain goes to hibernate :D Studying will just help you familiarize yourself with the paper and improve your time management skills but nothing else. However that's not to say that it wont improve your result.

• 2 months later...

Not sure, but I think you may need more time. At my school, there is a SAT prep course (which I like to call the SAT cram course) and is a month long, and from what I've heard, there is a lot to do in the prep course. (Not sure how many hours of prep they do a week at my school, but I remember thinking "WHOA" when I heard the number.)