IB books you absolutely loved

azulverde:)

• 3 months later...

I read The Stranger or in my case The Outsider by Camus for english lit and absolutely adored it. It's probably one of my favourite books thus far. I also enjoyed Metamorphosis, Death and the Maiden and am looking forward to reading set exam texts which are 1986, Beloved, Handmaids Tail and Untouchable. Basically I really enjoy my teacher's taste in books. I also really enjoyed my ee works, A Streetcar Named Desire and Three Sisters by Chekhov.

• 4 weeks later...

The two books that stand out to me are The Stranger by Camus and The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood. I loved how The Stranger shared my absurdist view of the world and thought Margaret Atwood had my same sense of humor in The Penelopiad, which I also loved for its imaginative retelling of The Odyssey.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across the graphic novel Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi in my IB English class as a potential topic for my IOP. Even though I didn't go ahead with it, I did read it because it looked pretty interesting. 

And it most definitely was an interesting read. Quoting myself from a book review I wrote, "Persepolis is an autobiographical account by author Marjane Satrapi. It follows her life from childhood to her young adult years, and how she was affected by the constant changes in her homeland of Iran."

It's different from the classic format of a novel and the simplistic artwork and illustration compliments the writing rather nicely. 

Would recommend it to those willing to give new things a try. (But I don't promise it'll appeal to everyone.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really liked Frankenstein and the preface to Miss Julie has thus far been the most entertaining read in English class I have ever come across.  The play itself is eh but the playwright's writing and ideas are (although unintentionally) very amusing.