What are books that you have had to read for school that you absolutely hate?

JoeG

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The Sun Also Rises, oh, GOD, how I loathe it! I thought I would like it because I loved The Old Man and the Sea, but no! It was more of a wretched mess than Finnegans Wake! Hemingway essentially wrote a book with a very flimsy plot where the characters reminded him of himself: drunk, "lost", and worthless! There were no likable characters or story elements and most literary techniques were laughable! (Seriously, using a character's rose-colored glasses as a symbol that he, as the cliche phrase goes, "needs to take off his rose-colored glasses" is just sad and unimaginative) There are many better books about the lost generation.

I really, but really hated The Catcher in the Rye. It's so pessimistic and boring (at least for myself). I won't say it is not interesting, because you can analyze in depth many details from the book, which is utterly surprising talking into account the plot. However, in overall, I hate it. I even had you use an audiobook to finish it.

Edited by BrianHQ

Life of Pi by Yann Martel- Except for the beginning and the end, it was pretty mundane and repetitive. Like, okay, I get it. You're facing imminent death. There's a tiger. I get it. 

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe- Some others have mentioned this book and I almost agree. I think that, at first, it seems to have no plot, the name are confusing, everything. While I hated it when I had to read it, I gave it a second chance later and ended up liking it. 

Antigone- Title character was annoying to me. The way my adolescent classmates took her as some sort of image of feminine power probably had something to do with that. I also found the ending needlessly melodramatic. 

Romeo and Juliet- Okay, it's not a book per se, but I absolutely loathe this work. I feel like the characters all have lower-than-average intelligence. All cliches aside, the plot was dull. Mercutio was the only interesting character. I just think that the title duo had little personality, little intelligence, and little appeal overall. Honestly the only good things I got out of this play were the scores by Tchaikovsky and Prokofiev. 

That's all I can think of right now. I generally don't like the books given to me to read in English Lit, and I always think it's because of the analysis. It makes me hate the text more than appreciate it honestly. I just wish there was a Math Studies/ESS-esque version on Lit for IB. If there's a math class for people who don't need math in their future, and a science class for people who don't need science, then why isn't there a Lit class for those who don't need Lit? But I digress. 

Edited by DJackson

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I'm sorry if there are any fans, but I can't read it. I lose focus and have trouble understanding it. I've tried listening to an audio version, it was okay, a little better, but I guess it just wasn't my taste.

The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh. It was incredibly confusing and, in my opinion, just not all that interesting. In my class, every student hated it except one girl. I feel a bit bad about saying that because it's about a man's war experiences and the hardships he endured when he got back from war, but it just wasn't very engaging to read. No joke, I fell asleep three times while reading the book.

Tuck Everlasting ~ Discussed some pretty great ideas but was slow and anti-climatic

Romeo and Juliet~ The titular cast acted like the stereotypical teenagers: dumb in love and thinking that they were only right. The way they fell in "love" was laughable.  The dialogue was filled with crude humour and don't get me started on Mercutio. And worst of all, this play served as inspiration for that juvenile garbage know as

"Romeo + Juliet". Blech.

The Scarecrow, by Ronald H. Morrieson

I don't know, maybe its just me but I feel like the characters were mostly one dimensional and extremely difficult to relate.

I mean, sure, maybe its the teenage POV about sex or the plot that revolves around a pedophile sex killer. or perhaps the annoyingly-written NZ accent?

Edited by Elca

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...