Aprehensive about my IB Choices

ondele

Hello! I am a soon to be IB student :P and well I have chosen my subject choices I have chosen to do:

English HL

Chinese ab

History HL

Maths Studies

Biology SL

Philosophy HL

I feel unsure whether to take Maths Studies and an ab initio language. How is this viewed by universities? Because to me having these two subjects make me sound less dedicated(?).

I feel I am hopeless at maths (I am a B grade student) hence my teachers have suggested to do studies because I lack confidence it in and I agree. I want to do Chinese ab initio being Chinese and not being able to speak it is really the reason why I want to do it. My parents also like the idea of me studying Chinese too. I do have experience with two other languages: French which I gained an A grade in year 10 and Russian which I am very strong at and I am predicted quite high in GCSE for it. But I don't want to do French or Russian simply because they now bore me and I love learning new languages. I fear that by not carrying on learning one language from GCSE to IB make me appear less commited and a poor candidate when it comes to Universities.

So should I change my choices when I go back to school in September? Or will I be okay?

My plans for the future involve going to university to study History or Law if it helps. And depending on my GCSE exam results I am considering to apply for Cambridge University. Thank you for all your help. Sorry for any grammar and spelling errors.

First off, I strongly recommend you take at least Standard Level Mathematics. Math Studies, in my honest opinion, is a waste of time and is looked down upon by many (if not all) universities. In essence, Math Studies is for those with NO mathematical ability whatsoever. That doesn't sound like you, so please switch over to SL Math, you'll thank yourself later. Besides, don't you feel kind of ashamed taking such a low level course.

As for Chinese, that course should be fine since you seem interested in learning new languages. However, may I recommend learning a bit before September so that you can make sure you don't hate it. This way, if you find out you hate the language, you can always switch to French or Russian.

• Like 1

To start, taking a language ab initio is not looked down upon at all to my knowledge, unless you intend to study that language in university (in which case most universities would likely prefer that you've done it at B SL at the very least). So you shouldn't even worry about that.

From what I've seen, as long as you intend to stay in the UK, Maths Studies probably won't be an issue in terms of getting into university. Personally, however, I would never recommend that anyone take Maths Studies, because I know it is not well-received here in Canada, and as such I've come to not think too highly of it. If you intend to apply abroad, some universities may insist on Maths SL, and that could be an issue for someone who takes Maths Studies. If you're not worried about that, however, Maths Studies should be fine.

• Like 1

I don't know about ab initio languages but as the previous posters have mentioned, Math Studies is generally looked down upon by universities. Taking SL math is a safe choice that will be fine for many programs (except maybe engineering at some unis where you'll need HL).

If you do take Math Studies though, make sure that whatever uni you want to go to is OK with it.

I was also going to choose Math Studies for my next year in school (12th Grade) but instead chose Math SL.

Also, I would recommend that you choose Biology HL. It really isn't that more difficult than SL, you just have to learn some more topics.

Also, I recommend having a HL science, as it looks better for University applications.

Good luck in IB. :P

Since you don't want to do science at university, I see no reason whatsoever for you taking a HL science and SL maths, if you don't feel like it. If you're applying for history or law, I think history, English and philosophy will be good subjects, economics wouldn't be too bad either. To take a science HL or a maths SL when you don't like these subjects will just be too hard and grades will drop, which is far worse when it comes to university applications.

When it comes to languages, I don't know really. Knnowing some Chinese is probably a good thing (I wish I did), and so it Russian. Do what feels best, because that's what you'll enjoy and be the most motivated in, hence higher grades. Remember that apart from grades, you'll have a personal statement and an interview to do when applying for Cambridge, so results aren't everything. However, check up the entry requirements already now, so you know what to expect, is my advice.

:P

you could do maths hl that would look really impressive

Did you even read the OP? But you're partially right: it only looks impressive if it's a high mark, otherwise it's just plain stupid.

For Chinese, I would recommend not taking if you find out you don't like it, or don't plan on pursuing it after IBDP. First, if you don't like it, you won't be motivated and interested in the subject, therefore low mark, thus bad. Second, in my opinion, if you're not going to pursue it in university or after that, it's going to be a waste of time in high school. Actually learn something that might benefit you in the future, such as French or Russian. You could actually become really proficient with these languages, and that's more rewarding than saying I know the basics of Chinese.

Thank you all so much. You have given me things to think about. I've contacted some prospective Universities and forwarded my subject choices, the ones whom replied were fine with my choices. But I might take Russian SL on the safe side.. I may as well have a second language that I can understand almost fluently. I might do Chinese for CAS.

I envy you so much for being able to choose Russian. Im not able to take Russian, Spanish, Italian as my second language. But in terms of your choices it's more htan fine for Uk universitires. Math studies is a sa smart choice, it'd be ridiculous to take anything higher if you don't need it.

I wouldn't think that any universities look down at students who take an ab initio language.

You will certainly have an advantage in Chinese, because since you are Chinese, one/both of your parents must be as well, thus they will be able to aid you gain good marks in the subject. Also, I personally believe that because you are already so advanced in both French and Russian (you're starting to get bored of them), then there is really no point in continuing with them, thus Chinese ab initio is a good choice. Plus, i've heard that ab initio is quite easy.

As for maths studies, the others have basically covered it.

Good luck.