PPE at Oxford

deissi

Hey,

I'm interested in doing either PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) at Oxford or IR (International Relations) at London School of Economics. Is anyone else here interested in them?

Does anyone know how many points I should approximately have to be accepted? The LSE website says min. 37 and 6-6-6 from HL, but according to our coordinator this is only for them to consider you, so in reality you need more points. Does anyone know how much more?

naah usually what they write on the site is what they give out. the site said 34 for my course and everyone who did IB who's in my course had to get 34! I think it's a standard offer unles you do an interview/ they really really really like you then they might give you a lower offer.

Guest forsakendarkness

What is important is not really the points above 37 points that you have. You only need the 37 points minimum for them to consider you. If you have amazing references and personal statement then even if you have 37 points you could be taken above people with predicted 45 points. However in reality most everybody has around equal good references and personal statement so the higher grades come into play for decisions. Its about necessary and sufficent, 37 points is necessary and sufficient whilst 44 points is unnecessary and only sufficient.

Hey,

I'm interested in doing either PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) at Oxford or IR (International Relations) at London School of Economics. Is anyone else here interested in them?

Does anyone know how many points I should approximately have to be accepted? The LSE website says min. 37 and 6-6-6 from HL, but according to our coordinator this is only for them to consider you, so in reality you need more points. Does anyone know how much more?

Did you send motivation letter and co?? My friend is already accepted at LSE :innocent:

Guest forsakendarkness

37 may be enough as long as your personal statement and references are amazing. There was a girl at my school last year who got in with predicted 36 for IR at LSE when they were asking for 36 points.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, what are my chances of being accepted if I get 38 points and I want to get into the PPP (Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology) program? They ask for 38 to 40 points. Would it be around a 75% acceptance chance? considering everyone else that applies. Might be even lower. :P I just want to know if I should even try, because there are other colleges that would be satisfied with 36 points.

Honestly, what are my chances of being accepted if I get 38 points and I want to get into the PPP (Psychology, Philosophy and Physiology) program? They ask for 38 to 40 points. Would it be around a 75% acceptance chance? considering everyone else that applies. Might be even lower. :P I just want to know if I should even try, because there are other colleges that would be satisfied with 36 points.

ooo I am really interested in that program as well, please do tell when you know if you got in or not... Do you know what maths course is required? And what counts as a science? I've been wondering for a while... Sorry for hogging the thread, Dessi

Oxford offers are generally between 38-40. If you got 38, you do have a chance provided that you do well on the interview and if there is a test, on the test or written work (if needed). Of course, there is the competition and it all depends on how many applies and how good they are as well. According to the website, PPP (would LOVE to go to that course as well but I'm all for meds :P ) had an admission rate of 17,4%. It's not much but there is always a chance.

Oh and if they say science, they always mean chemistry, physics or biology (sometimes math) unless anything else is stated. However, if you have psychology and go for PP, you could have a slight advantage (don't quote me on this though!!! Better to email or ask someone who is in the course). I assume they want science and math since there is physiology ( :P ). Check it out and also check with the colleges as they may have some differences. I know this because when I looked for the biological science once, i found that there was one college that DIDN'T require chemistry at all while others wanted HL :(

Edited by Afterglow

The thing is, that in PPP you only choose two of the P's... And Science is not a requirement, but a recommendation, and I read on like TSR or something that psychology did count as a science, which is keeping my hopes up a little... It's a bit too late for me to change to physics, since half a year and 2 or 3 labs have already passed by :P

If you choose psy and phil, then I think it should be fine to not have a science but for safety, contact the admission office and ask. Having psychology should be an advantage as it is partially science (there's the biological perspective and IA stat, not to mention the fact that psychology tries to be as as scientific as possible) :P If they say psychology counts as science for that course, then it might :( I think you have hope since you're doing philosophy and psychology anyway but do contact the admission office :P

I can help you with St Andrews. I got an offer yesterday to study Financial Economics for 34 points. My predicted was only 32. And the minimum required for the course was 37. I guess that says something in terms of how low you can go, if you have a good enough PS and reference. I don't know how strong my PS is, considering I'm the only one applying to the UK from my school, but my teacher's reference was very strong.

I also got an offer from York for 32 points. The usual offer for that course is 36.

Then Bristol for 34 points, typical offers for that are 34-38.

• Like 1

no necessarily :) I wouldn't imagine why you'd need math methods for IR, maybe you would need for the econ bit in PPE... check the requirements...

For IR I don't think they have any specific math requirements, though I'd imagine that in their eyes havinh a demanding math course is more appreciated. Whereas for PPE they do care about your math. They'd prefer you to have Math HL, but you can get in with SL too. As deissi probably knows one guy from our school got an offer to PPE in Oxford of 39 points with 7 in math sl.

• 1 month later...

Oxford generally means at least 37... I know someone who got an offer of 39 and another who got an offer of 38 - it depends a lot on your interview and your subject. I think your a bit unlucky there because PPE is one of the tougher ones to get into since its exclusively an oxford subject.

Each college picks its own students first from those who applied specifically to it and then from the 'pool'. If your predictions aren't too great try applying for one of the 'not so amazing' colleges rather than the top ones like Magdalen or Balliol. You'll have a slightly better chance of getting in.