Donating Blood..

If you have pictures or written proof or something then it can be counted as service, as long as you get the guy in charge to be your advisor (if not you could be your own advisor i guess)

@Bishup

I think "summersweetness" is talking about CAS hours not CAS project

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

Yeah, this is quite nice for CAS hours. Most people at my school are considering using the walk to school as action, doing the dishes as service, and making a video game level as creativity. Or something like that :crying: Donating blood is really quite a feat, it should count as double or triple hours XD

You should ask your coordinator for the best answer. People here can only say what THEIR coordinator would allow, which to be frank is more or less useless when it comes to what your own coordinator allows! Ask the people at your school, because the only absolute answer to what is and isn't permissible is basically: what they say, goes.

Donating blood wouldn't count for anything from my CAS coordinator, for instance :crying: So it'd be the total opposite to what everybody else on this thread has said! Hence the ask your own school thing.

I think that counting 'donating blood' as a CAS activity is extremely lazy. I'd agree with Sandwich in saying that my CAS coordinator would not allow it. It's a bit of a grey area but you're not actively helping anybody, sure your blood helps someone in the end but you're not putting yourself out there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

wow donating blood?! never thought of that before,

not sure if I'm crazy enough to do it since my school is in china and donating blood in china would probably cause me to get AIDS or something(aiyaaaaa), but still wondering since CAS is counted by hours, how much blood do you have to donate to get an hour? is it really worth it?? don't kill your self for CAS haha

A student in my year put blood donation in her CAS journal under service, but I think she counted it for 0 hours or maybe 1 hour, nothing much. It was such that if it had been discounted, it would be no loss to her CAS journal.

This experience probably won't appeal to many IB students, because of course we are looking to complete our CAS hours, but my IB coordinator said that it showed some variety and he has always been very adamant that you show both variety and commitment. Certain activities that were really iffy for CAS, like this one, could be used to show variety, but no big loss to hours if they were not counted.

I wanted to do that too. My CAS supervisor said that it does count as service, but she said we shouldnt do it just to get service hours as that is bad for us. If you were doing it anyway then it would count.

Edited by lucy