Opinions on paper 1 and paper 2 chemistry 2010? TZ2

TNT

I chose 6 and 8 for section B. question 6 took a loooot of writing. My fingers ached by the end of that exam

Oh good, because I wrote a lot for that question as well. I thought we didn't have to write essay-style answers and that they prefer concise and precise answers.

Anyhow, I found both papers average. They did not ask for much, which was slightly shocking. But nevertheless, I believe I did not do too great due to my lack of time to review. But hey, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, right?

I did question 6 and 7 for section B. Halfway through question 7 I realized it was a mistake choosing that question...I had no idea how to do the buffer questions. Should've done 8 instead :S

I did those two questions as well! & I don't like buffers, so I did not spend time studying that topic much.

But I didn't like question 8 because it seemed to involve a lot of calculations.. and the last question.. biochemistry was a definite no for me, I very much dislike biochemistry!

:) I chose questions 6 and 9 in Section B. I found paper 2 relatively easy, but not sure if I did well though :S, since I didn't revise to the "maximum" ( :S didn't have time to go over past papers and stuff like that...).

Paper 1... ummm I don't really know.. there were questions that I really thought had mistakes, like the one about Avogadro's constant ... I mean was there any correct answer?! LOL cause that really freaked me out! We did not see this in class! I mean never! :)

PS: I remember the options were:

(P/T)=constant

(V/T)=constant

(V/n)=constant

V*n=constant

:) I chose questions 6 and 9 in Section B. I found paper 2 relatively easy, but not sure if I did well though :S, since I didn't revise to the "maximum" ( :S didn't have time to go over past papers and stuff like that...).

Paper 1... ummm I don't really know.. there were questions that I really thought had mistakes, like the one about Avogadro's constant ... I mean was there any correct answer?! LOL cause that really freaked me out! We did not see this in class! I mean never! :)

(P/T)=constant

(V/T)=constant

(V/n)=constant

V*n=constant

That question confused me at the beginning, everyone was confused by it since the first, second and third statements are all valid. But the question specifically asked for the statement concerning Avogadro's Law, which gives the relationship between the volume of the gas and the number of moles of the gas. That being said, the correct choice would be C: (V/n)=constant. Since the volume of any ideal gas is 22.4 dm^3/mol at RTP according to Avogadro's law.

(P/T)=constant

(V/T)=constant

(V/n)=constant

V*n=constant

That question confused me at the beginning, everyone was confused by it since the first, second and third statements are all valid. But the question specifically asked for the statement concerning Avogadro's Law, which gives the relationship between the volume of the gas and the number of moles of the gas. That being said, the correct choice would be C: (V/n)=constant. Since the volume of any ideal gas is 22.4 dm^3/mol at RTP according to Avogadro's law.

Suhweet - that's what I put! At one point, did you guys get a lot of B answer in a row?

I thought Section A of Paper 2 was doable - I liked the rocket fuel question, and the eggshell question, as well as the questions about periodicity. (I did question 6 & 8)

I much preferred Paper 2 over Paper 1!

(P/T)=constant

(V/T)=constant

(V/n)=constant

V*n=constant

Suhweet - that's what I put! At one point, did you guys get a lot of B answer in a row?

I thought Section A of Paper 2 was doable - I liked the rocket fuel question, and the eggshell question, as well as the questions about periodicity. (I did question 6 & 8)

What did you put as an assumption in eggshell question? I put that they assumed that CaCO3 is the only substance in eggshell which reacts with HCl.

and also, what was the environmental issue? I said that H2O (g) was global warming causing gas (greenhouse gas) while HF is not.

small 1 point questions... BUT I want that points!

Yes! I got heapsss of B's, wasn't sure I was on the right track <.<

:D I chose questions 6 and 9 in Section B. I found paper 2 relatively easy, but not sure if I did well though :), since I didn't revise to the "maximum" ( :S didn't have time to go over past papers and stuff like that...).

(P/T)=constant

(V/T)=constant

(V/n)=constant

V*n=constant

What did you put as an assumption in eggshell question? I put that they assumed that CaCO3 is the only substance in eggshell which reacts with HCl.

and also, what was the environmental issue? I said that H2O (g) was global warming causing gas (greenhouse gas) while HF is not.

small 1 point questions... BUT I want that points!

My assumption is that all of the CaCO3 present in the eggshell reacted with the HCl added.

I thought the fuel releasing H2O was safer, since it's only water. I wrote that HF may be harmful to life forms and that's why it may not be in use although it's a better fuel (we found that it's a better fuel from the calculations before). On the wiki page for HF it says, "HF is lighter than air and it is particularly penetrating, which can damage the lungs" so I guess it's true, although I just put it down coz I couldn't think of anything else. How lucky :S

My assumption is that all of the CaCO3 present in the eggshell reacted with the HCl added.

I thought the fuel releasing H2O was safer, since it's only water. I wrote that HF may be harmful to life forms and that's why it may not be in use although it's a better fuel (we found that it's a better fuel from the calculations before). On the wiki page for HF it says, "HF is lighter than air and it is particularly penetrating, which can damage the lungs" so I guess it's true, although I just put it down coz I couldn't think of anything else. How lucky :sadnod:

haha. I hope any sensible answers are accepted.

the rocket question, it release not only larger energy as well as more volumes. So better fuel. I hope that was right.

HL TZ2

I'd like to repeat my question from another thread since nobody managed to answer it.

The hydrogen question really came out of the blue. I wasn't expecting anything like this at all. But I did very similarly to the post above.

I was wondering about question 7 (acids and bases). On the whole, it was pretty easy but the part with buffer solution was tricky. Finally, I ended up with this equation for the buffer solution:

H2PO4(-) <> HPO4(2-) + H(+)

How did the rest of you do this? Was I right?

Also, in paper 1 the last several answer were like AAABBBA?

What did you guys say for the paper 1 for the ionic radii

was the qs asking for smallest/largest I dont remember

the options there were F, K Br and another ion

it was asking for the largest, and i put Br- , what about you?