How do you study best for biology?

pomoni

From what I have seen these are the important points.

1) TRY to like it..and find interest in it. It really helps. If you do like Biology then that’s a bonus!

2) NEVER EVER go to a lesson before you are certain you understand the things covered in the previous one. A main factor of doing bad is keeping things to just gather up on you, and before an exam you struggle to unerstand soo many things when you should be doing past papers. Do whatever it takes to understand something, trust me, it may sound like a pain in the ass but its very important, take a word from me. Having said this, it happens sometimes that you understand something only after you learn another, as it completes each other. However, what I mean is, don’t leave the MAIN CONCEPT not understood!

3) Make good notes that you can go back to anytime. I used to rewrite notes if they are bad and unclear. Having clear good complete notes is an important factor.

4) Read over your notes every now and then. It is really nice to find out that you remember the things when you’re doing the revision, it gives you confidence. On the other hand, if you only touch your notes before an exam, you come to revise and you find that you have forgotten many things, it crushed me in other subjects…so don’t want it happening to you.

5) Ask your teacher anything, I used to ware out my teacher with my questions (yeah I know Aboo ), but it all came out good, so yeah. A good teacher wouldn’t mind any of your questions! 

6)You can try reading the topic before you start it, this is what I used to do, so yeah.

7) I recommend the OXFORD Study Guide, I found it really useful and very very helpful. So you may want to get that.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER:

8) FOLLOW YOUR SYLABUS POINT BY POINT. You can never go wrong with the syllabus. ANYTHING that’s ever going to be asked in the exam is in the syllabus, except for Data Analysis in the SECTION A of PAPER 2. Know the syllabus point by point, it’s vital and you will do good trust me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You can't just memorise like some of the other posters suggested.

Biology needs understanding before memorisation. Usually, I read over my notes with the aid of diagrams from textbooks and make sure I understand everything.

And then I memorise it.

I guess the understanding stage is most important part because sometimes examiners enjoy manipulating the questions *slightly*/create questions that span across two topics etc etc.

AND of course, practice with past exams :S

• 3 months later...

I'm really struggling with Biology. I score exceptionally high on my lab assessments, but when it comes to quizzes and written assessments alike, I'm always the one who scores lowest. Usually, I learn by rewriting or summarizing my notes, reading them over and over again, etc...and when I think this works, and I really do understand the information, the test comes and I just forget how to apply my information. I think this is mostly due to my teacher giving us really difficult questions; they always seem very indirect to me, and it turns out that I knew the answer from the start. I'm just so completely lost in how to study Biology.

I'm really struggling with Biology. I score exceptionally high on my lab assessments, but when it comes to quizzes and written assessments alike, I'm always the one who scores lowest. Usually, I learn by rewriting or summarizing my notes, reading them over and over again, etc...and when I think this works, and I really do understand the information, the test comes and I just forget how to apply my information. I think this is mostly due to my teacher giving us really difficult questions; they always seem very indirect to me, and it turns out that I knew the answer from the start. I'm just so completely lost in how to study Biology.

After reading and understanding, you should look to your assesment statements, which will tell you what ib want, to do that your teacher need to give you Biology guide, (if not , you can get it from here). A nice website that give you the assesment statement then what is the answer is (Click4biology.com). Sometimes it seems that we know much information, but in reality we do not know what ib wants. If you need any help you can ask it in Biology thread. ()

• 3 weeks later...

i usually study for bio HL by reviewing the syllabus, my notes and the workbook we have. also, i bought a general, college-level supplemental bio book which helps me a lot when i need to fill in the missing gaps on a topic i don't understand. i also try to go online and find multiple choice questions and complete them to help me remember the material better.