Spanish help

Guest CNguyen90

Guest CNguyen90

This is my first post and I really don’t know if I’m doing this right. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could help me with Spanish. I will be in IB Spanish four this upcoming school year yet I can barely read and understand very little of what my teacher is saying. I have tried online help and even went out and bought the $130 CD-rom to learn Spanish fluently. Yeah.. DOESN’T WORK! I have a Cuban friend who has attempted to help me, however gave up on the third day. Quite sad actually. Can anyone help me?

Guest CNguyen90
Not that I speak Spanish or anything, but know the following may help me give you some advice on how to study for the subject. What level Spanish are you taking? Language B or Ab Initio? HL/SL? Are you first year or second year IB?

This is will be my first year in IB. I got C's in PIB. and I will be in SL spanish 4

Spanish 4...this is undoubtly some American thing. :D There is no such thing as Spanish 4 in IB.

I'm guessing you're doing Spanish as a Language B considering you've already done a previous exam on it.

Well, I wouldn't wory *too much* if it's your first year. The trick with Lang B is just to practice. I don't know whether you get access to them at your school but if you can, just get used to the past papers. Practicing on past papers can help a lot (especially your reading could be improved drastically with just doing past papers 1). Since it's still v. early in your course, just relax a bit. It's ok if you don't understand a lot of it at the beginning, you should be able to improve over time.

And maybe talk to your teacher about your difficulties may help.

If it helps, I know someone who nearly failed IGCSE Core French and managed to get a 5 in French B SL after 2 years of IB. And really, IGCSE French is nothing compared to IB French B.

if your speaking is as bad as you are saying it is, I suggest you start speaking it more often noww! maybe a trip to mexico can help? :P just kidding!

but seriously if you're doing spanish B SL you will have oral examinations.. and they're not as easy as they seem to be :D

as HMS said it's mainly about practice.. though it would help you if there was someone on here you can practice with here... *wonders what vicky would say... takes that thought out of her head*

:D

Guest CNguyen90
if your speaking is as bad as you are saying it is, I suggest you start speaking it more often noww! maybe a trip to mexico can help? :P just kidding!

but seriously if you're doing spanish B SL you will have oral examinations.. and they're not as easy as they seem to be :D

as HMS said it's mainly about practice.. though it would help you if there was someone on here you can practice with here... *wonders what vicky would say... takes that thought out of her head*

:D

I try to pratice everyday. I send my text messages in spanish and I do have spanish friends however it doesn't seem to help. I should take a trip to Mexico! if only i had the resources. lol

Guest CNguyen90
Spanish 4...this is undoubtly some American thing. :lol: There is no such thing as Spanish 4 in IB.

I'm guessing you're doing Spanish as a Language B considering you've already done a previous exam on it.

Well, I wouldn't wory *too much* if it's your first year. The trick with Lang B is just to practice. I don't know whether you get access to them at your school but if you can, just get used to the past papers. Practicing on past papers can help a lot (especially your reading could be improved drastically with just doing past papers 1). Since it's still v. early in your course, just relax a bit. It's ok if you don't understand a lot of it at the beginning, you should be able to improve over time.

And maybe talk to your teacher about your difficulties may help.

If it helps, I know someone who nearly failed IGCSE Core French and managed to get a 5 in French B SL after 2 years of IB. And really, IGCSE French is nothing compared to IB French B.

Haha, yes it probably is an American thing. Spanish is my Lang. B, you are correct. I try to pratice everything, my teacher knows of my troubles however there are about 50 students in the entire school, so the personal help doesn't really apply. Ahhh I don't know what to do!

I try to pratice everyday. I send my text messages in spanish and I do have spanish friends however it doesn't seem to help. I should take a trip to Mexico! if only i had the resources. lol

haha the reason I mentioned practice, is because I sucked at speaking the proper arabic (my arabic is pretty good though). So I started speaking it instead of slang arabic with my friends (mind you this made them make fun of me.. A LOT! lol) and it helped me out a lot :D

I think actually speaking the language helps more than typing or texting it! try having full conversation in it :lol: and don't worry so much! you have 2 years till your IB exam in it! your teachers are bound to teach you something :P

oh and try listening to spanish music! my mom used to put some Greek music when me and my bro's were kids to help us learn it (since we lived in Jordan and weren't exposed to Greek- I'm Cypriot we needed to learn Greek :P ) though most spanish music is raggaeton and daddy yanky stuff isn't it? LOL don't know how much your vocabulary can expand listening to those :P

try having full conversation in it

yeah that helps. My friends and I used to have weird moments when we just out of the blue have conversations in french. but this was back when I still took regular french classes so the language comes much more easily to me than it does now. but just speaking and practicing with thinking on your feet with the language does help a lot. give yourself time as well, you can't improve drastically over night.

try thinking in spanish. :P I did that sometimes, just talking to myself in french. Of course...that may make you think I'm weird but the point I'm trying to make is, practice makes perfect, and you've got 2 years to make it perfect so don't panic too much right now.

Elsa: Vicky would run away screaming. :P:lol:

yeah that helps. My friends and I used to have weird moments when we just out of the blue have conversations in french. but this was back when I still took regular french classes so the language comes much more easily to me than it does now. but just speaking and practicing with thinking on your feet with the language does help a lot. give yourself time as well, you can't improve drastically over night.

try thinking in spanish. :P I did that sometimes, just talking to myself in french. Of course...that may make you think I'm weird but the point I'm trying to make is, practice makes perfect, and you've got 2 years to make it perfect so don't panic too much right now.

Elsa: Vicky would run away screaming. :P:lol:

oh come on.. that's a bit too much :P

Spoiler - Click me!
  you forgot to mention kicking :D

[Close]

Ok I take Spanish Ab Initio so lets try this. Although be warned, my teacher sucks and I only know the most basic of conversations.

Hola! Que tal? Como se llama? Prefiere el futbol ou el baloncesto?

OK HMS, I'm much better in French than in Spanish methinks. I really should practice this.

Hola chicos

También estudio español. Hago ab initió. Tengo mis exámenes en dos meses y hace tres semanas hice mi oral individuo. Lo no estuvo bueno, pero estoy esperando que pueda mejorar para los exámenes, especialmente la prueba 1 porque puedes ver no soy bueno para escribir. No te preocupes, estoy seguro que mejoraras por los dos años.

Hola chicos

También estudio español. Hago ab initió. Tengo mis exámenes en dos meses y hace tres semanas hice mi oral individuo. Lo no estuvo bueno, pero estoy esperando que pueda mejorar para los exámenes, especialmente la prueba 1 porque puedes ver no soy bueno para escribir. No te preocupes, estoy seguro que mejoraras por los dos años.

ding ding ding We have a winner! I can understand most of your post, I just can write Spanish :lol: , and i'm supposed to have my exams next year:S.

Bandev, my teacher sucks, what did you do to improve your Spanish? I need some help, because my book, Espanol de primero, won't help me. Cheers.

Kaif halak LC? Don't count on it so much haha. I still have to use the translator for the majority. But hey, it also improves my Spanish.

lol oka Bandev's got it now :P

and I should've kept that arabic thread I made :P seems like we have some arabic speakers as well :lol:

Let's not lead this off topic, guys. Spanish anyone?

HMS

@cabso1 I had a pretty ****ty teacher in my first year too :lol: I have a better teacher this year, but I think that it is about trying to show off all the stuff you know in you writing, I would say that I don't think that my writing has come together yet really, but some of the stuff that I have done that has helped my writing is creating verb cards, where I have a card for each verb I enconter and conjugate it in all the tenses that I know. I also have a vocab book which I update every now and then into which I write new words that I find in text handlings and class, which I write in my general spanish workbook, then copy them into the vocab book with the meaning. I have made grammar cards aswell, with every new grammar pattern or tense we get taught I put on to a card. I also have made a list of grammar patterns that I should try and include in each writing task. That is probably wat has help the most. Another thing that may nave helped is that my homepage is the BBC in Spanish website.

Guest El_Nano

Spanish is not that hard...reading also helps alot in adding words to your vocbulary but obviously going to a spanish speaking country and staying ther without any of your mother-tougue friends helps alot more..!! If anyone needs help...Im pretty good in Spanish...I have studied it at high levels....if you hav any problems that I can help you with as much as I can don't esitate to ask...