Spanish help

Guest CNguyen90

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Impashence

I'm in spanish HL now, and to be honest, the exam last year was not half as bad as i thought it was going to be. I was really afraid in the oral part, but so long as you are practicing, like everyone has been saying, then you will be fine.

I actually agree with HMS chocolate: THINK in spanish too. I knew that i was actually improving when spanish words started coming to my mind faster than english words. (Granted, not all the time, but still)

Maybe listen to more spanish music. I find that just hearing people talk in spanish helps me to know by ear what sounds better or what seems more correct. Its wierd, i know. Maybe also just write down words you dont know while in class and then go look them up at home and memorize the top five more used words on your list.

there's a lot you could do :P

I'm in spanish HL now, and to be honest, the exam last year was not half as bad as i thought it was going to be. I was really afraid in the oral part, but so long as you are practicing, like everyone has been saying, then you will be fine.

I actually agree with HMS chocolate: THINK in spanish too. I knew that i was actually improving when spanish words started coming to my mind faster than english words. (Granted, not all the time, but still)

Maybe listen to more spanish music. I find that just hearing people talk in spanish helps me to know by ear what sounds better or what seems more correct. Its wierd, i know. Maybe also just write down words you dont know while in class and then go look them up at home and memorize the top five more used words on your list.

there's a lot you could do :P

this is all so ture. i was walking down the hallway with my friens the other day right after spanish class, and i couldn't think of soemthing i was explainging, and i had to tell her in spanish coz i couldn't remeber how to say it in english... that was kinda scary. nothing like forgetting your native language.

• 3 weeks later...
Spanish is not that hard...reading also helps alot in adding words to your vocbulary but obviously going to a spanish speaking country and staying ther without any of your mother-tougue friends helps alot more..!! If anyone needs help...Im pretty good in Spanish...I have studied it at high levels....if you hav any problems that I can help you with as much as I can don't esitate to ask...

Ya, definately going to a spanish speaking place only will help more than anything. I was born in Argnetina and came to the US when i was 11, but i can tell you that spanish is one of the hardest languages to learn (over 26 different verb tenses) But if you go to an only spanish place, I would bet that it wont take more than 2 months to learn fluent spanish, or even easier, just go to a school were they only speak spanish, not a spanish learning school, but a school were they just simply dont know how to speak english. Oh and if you need help i could probably help you since I speak Spanish as my first language.

Ya, definately going to a spanish speaking place only will help more than anything. I was born in Argnetina and came to the US when i was 11, but i can tell you that spanish is one of the hardest languages to learn (over 26 different verb tenses) But if you go to an only spanish place, I would bet that it wont take more than 2 months to learn fluent spanish, or even easier, just go to a school were they only speak spanish, not a spanish learning school, but a school were they just simply dont know how to speak english. Oh and if you need help i could probably help you since I speak Spanish as my first language.

i am planning to move to mexico to study for a year soon.... i am so excited. i just have to make sure not to use any miami spanish while i down there, when i moved to MO my teacher had to correct some of my spanish coz it was miami spanish.... but that what we had been taught in spanish calss in Fl so that sucked to learn that.

but i really hope leaving the US helps, but living in the miami area really helped my spanish too.

i am planning to move to mexico to study for a year soon.... i am so excited. i just have to make sure not to use any miami spanish while i down there, when i moved to MO my teacher had to correct some of my spanish coz it was miami spanish.... but that what we had been taught in spanish calss in Fl so that sucked to learn that.

but i really hope leaving the US helps, but living in the miami area really helped my spanish too.

You live in Miami too? And you DON'T talk spanish! Nah, I'm just kidding, I actually wished there were more people who didn't speak spanish because I really don't like it when I'm forced to speak spanish...being argnetine and all I have a cool accent that everyone likes, yet I despise.

A little off topic here, but what school do you go to? If it's a Miami IB school i'd guess Coral Reef or Ferguson, any of the two?

You live in Miami too? And you DON'T talk spanish! Nah, I'm just kidding, I actually wished there were more people who didn't speak spanish because I really don't like it when I'm forced to speak spanish...being argnetine and all I have a cool accent that everyone likes, yet I despise.

A little off topic here, but what school do you go to? If it's a Miami IB school i'd guess Coral Reef or Ferguson, any of the two?

i speak some spanish.... i am in spanish 5.

my parent hated to go into maimi.... people would talk about my mom behind her back in spanish and they only things she can say in spanish are hola and loco...

but being from argentina i am sure you accent is beautiful. my friend from colombia is the one who taught me how to sound native.... people have mistaken me fro beig hispanic before... ti is really funnny, coz i don't look hispanic at all.

I have been told that the argentine spanish accent is sexy, accord to my friend from basque, so you should be happy.

A little insight to languages around here:

It's true what they say about our accent, that it's different, and some people like it, but you gotta understand that 99% of the people in a 200 mile radius talks spanish, and not the spanish you are being taught at your school or the one i speak, but cuban, mostly. It's very hard for me because I use different words for a lot of things and dfferent accents on the words, i.e. in spanish you normally say "Te tienes que ir" (you have to go), but in Argentina we say "Te tenés que ir" (you have to go); and we use "vos" instead of "tu" (you). It does look cool but it makes me feel really weird >.< And not only this but it brings problems on my Spanish essays, good thing IB takes into account all spanish accents, or so I've been told, does anyone know if this is true?

Thats what I have been told, otherwise you couldn't call it the IB, I reckon.

Ya but it's not that simple, because you have to understand that we're not talking about dialects here, it's more like...really bad spanish branches. Take chinese fore example. It's not like that with the different spanishes all around South America, because the spanish is mostly exactly the same, writen. But the mannerisms and the accents make a huge impact on the tone of your paper.

Uruguayans talk almost like Argentineans, but if you are Argentinean and hear an Uruguayan talking, you think he's making fun of you. Their accent is, you could say, informal compared to ours. So when I'm writing, sometimes the teacher, which is cuban, doesn't understand why I use the verbs I use and sometimes takes away points for things she doesn't understand. Even though IB will read my paper impartially, unless the grader is from Argentina, there are going to be points taken off for minor "mistakes".

Ya but it's not that simple, because you have to understand that we're not talking about dialects here, it's more like...really bad spanish branches. Take chinese fore example. It's not like that with the different spanishes all around South America, because the spanish is mostly exactly the same, writen. But the mannerisms and the accents make a huge impact on the tone of your paper.

Uruguayans talk almost like Argentineans, but if you are Argentinean and hear an Uruguayan talking, you think he's making fun of you. Their accent is, you could say, informal compared to ours. So when I'm writing, sometimes the teacher, which is cuban, doesn't understand why I use the verbs I use and sometimes takes away points for things she doesn't understand. Even though IB will read my paper impartially, unless the grader is from Argentina, there are going to be points taken off for minor "mistakes".

well you are not suppose to use slang i heared, so htat might be whre you are having a problem... that is what happened to me when i moved outta FL... my spanish teacher had to re-teach me some vocab coz i didn't know the proper words only the slang word... and some of them were only specific to miami.

@ezex you could get a marker from argentina because markers in argentina are more like to mark May exams than Nov ones.

I think for writing the best thing to do is be creative, because that way you are more interesting and fluid in the writing, that is why I always got my best marks on diary entry questions, because you can use heaps of common adjectives really easily.

I got read comprehension by pure exposure to the language, and also I have a background knowledge in etymology.

Edited by Bandev