Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

I am somewhat confused regarding the part where it says to plot T9 against x. Does that mean I find the individual T9 values for whatever values of x I choose and then plot that against the x axis?

The example on the sheet says (2,5), and if the calculations come up with 32, I would then plot (5, 32). Would this be correct? :P

Edited by Scootaloo

I am somewhat confused regarding the part where it says to plot T9 against x. Does that mean I find the individual T9 values for whatever values of x I choose and then plot that against the x axis?

The example on the sheet says (2,5), and if the calculations come up with 32, I would then plot (5, 32). Would this be correct? :P

for x=0 what is T9?

for x=1 what is T9?

for x=2 what is T9?

for x=3 what is T9?

for x=4 what is T9?

etc

and plot its graph

should we complex and imaginary numbers?

I honestly don't see the need, it's not even in your syllabus.

• Like 1

Hey we just got the type one math SL IA, the one on infinite summation and I'm really confused. Especially over the last part, do we used the math we do at the start of the assignment to prove the unknown equations at the end? Also help on the explanation would help so much. Thank you :)

Edited by trashmouth

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

I have two general questions about this portfolio:

1) Approx. how many different values do you think we should include when we're supposed to make up our own? (Like in the question about 'Define T(a,x) as the sum of the first n terms, for various values of a and x')

2) In the criteria guide thing it says we're supposed to apply our results to another example... This made sense to me in the Type II IA but are we supposed to do it here too? I'm not really sure what we're supposed to include =/

Thanks a lot for your help! <3

P.S. First time post... *nervousnervous*

Hey everyone!

I have two general questions about this portfolio:

1) Approx. how many different values do you think we should include when we're supposed to make up our own? (Like in the question about 'Define T(a,x) as the sum of the first n terms, for various values of a and x')

2) In the criteria guide thing it says we're supposed to apply our results to another example... This made sense to me in the Type II IA but are we supposed to do it here too? I'm not really sure what we're supposed to include =/

Thanks a lot for your help! <3

P.S. First time post... *nervousnervous*

hello, welcome to IBS :)

1. usually at least 3. but in the define part, they are not asking you to do anything or come up with whatever value -.- they're just explaining what the notation means, and you should use that notation too and briefly describe what it means, like in the task paper.

2. which criterion is that? for criteria C and D (and maybe some others but I can't remember), they have different descriptions for and demand different things from type 1 IA and type 2 IA. so refer to the ones for type 1... I don't remember it asking us to apply it to other situations, so yeah look at your guide carefully.

Well, for example on the first page when it says to do different values of a when x=1, you can make a=100000, but you could also make it a=0.0000001. Have you tested it? Look at the graph!! Ahh! So I was just curious as should we make a=decimals less than 1? Cuz if we do, it gets so much more complicated.... -.-

So the one question I have is about the infinity. Do you think they want us to do just positive infinity, or should we do decimal infinity as well? Such as when we're testing the validity of our general statement.

You should test your general statement by using all kinds of positive real numbers. Put "a" as positive decimal, integers, pi, etc ...

However, "x" can be any real number.

Edited by bomaha