Biology vs. Chemistry

elmar

I'm having a difficult time deciding between Biology HL and Chemistry HL. I have the opportunity to take both, both at HL or one at HL and the other at SL. I'm fairly well at Chemistry; it seems simple. However, Biology would probably be better suited for what I plan to study at uni (Psychology with possible intent for grad school). From what I heard, Chemistry is mostly mathematics while Biology is memorization.

Is there anyone who could give a full comparison of the two subjects, preferably someone who took both or are in the process in taking both? Thanks.

They're are both fascinating subjects and I don't think Biology, rather than Chemistry would necessarily better tailor you towards your intended studies. Biology involves memorisation and little understanding to be frank and Chemistry involves cunning interpretation and understanding. There is an element of maths to Chemistry. If you're geeky do Chemistry if you like Science and like to pretend you know something pick Biology. I'm kidding about the bio part :coffee:

Check out click4biology.info and the bio syllabus to see if you like the course content.

They're are both fascinating subjects and I don't think Biology, rather than Chemistry would necessarily better tailor you towards your intended studies. Biology involves memorisation and little understanding to be frank and Chemistry involves cunning interpretation and understanding. There is an element of maths to Chemistry. If you're geeky do Chemistry if you like Science and like to pretend you know something pick Biology. I'm kidding about the bio part :coffee:

Check out click4biology.info and the bio syllabus to see if you like the course content.

I was glancing through my local community college's A.A. degree requirements for majors and Psychology had listed General Bio I and II under it's recommended electives. Of course, it was only recommended; a natural science choice is easily replaceable, but I always imagined a correlation between Psychology and Biology. I do enjoy math more than memorization and that's what triggers me to take Chem! I've never liked Science and none of my previous teachers (grades whenever-9th) have taken science as seriously as it should have been, so maybe I am destined for Chemistry. Thank you!

I take both subjects and here is my $0.02

Yes biology is a simple subject but it is EXTREMELY memorization intensive and extremely tedious. Chemistry, however, involves less memorization and more understanding. A lot of people consider HL chem to be one of the most difficult IB Subjects there are along with HL math and HL physics. However, even though it is so difficult, I enjoy it immensely and find it really interesting and rewarding. It's up to you really but it seems as though you're looking for something easy and you don't really care about natural sciences: so my opinion? take biology.

Hi

I'm currently doing Psychology as well, and am strongly considering it for my Undergrad when the time comes. I really think that if you're planning on doing Psych in College, then you should study biology as well, as there are many connections between the two topics. I suggest doing Psychology and Biology at HL, and Chemistry at SL. However, if you feel that you are capable of doing Chemistry at HL as well, then go for it!

Good luck!

you should definitely do bio!! firstly, it's just better than chemistry :D (ok, that's a bit biased) but secondly, IBFearless is absolutely right that if you'd like to do Psychology you should go for Bio coz, for example the Biological Perspective overlaps a lot with the Bio Option Neuroscience and Behaviour and also, if you know the basic human-anatomy you'll understand human nature much better. and that's what Psych is all about: understanding humans!

If you enjoy math more than memorization then perhaps you should go for Chemistry. You'll have a blast with stoichiometry! If you think you can memorize a textbook of information with less effort then go for Biology.

What Charizard said is true, on the other hand; you can choose to be memorizing or understanding in both Chemistry and Biology. Understanding is the better way to go! If you're interested in the subjects you'll do a great job. I'm taking both as HL subjects, and all you have to do is stay on top of it and you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...

First things first, find out what your prospective university would like you to take (and achieve) for entry into a Psychology or Neuroscience program. If they want both you already have your answer! If they will transfer credit for introductory courses in biology and/or chemistry for a certain grade in the IB, decide which course would be most strategic to complete in pursuit of your degree. If you need two courses of chemistry as part of your degree program, would you rather do that in an IB setting or in a massive group of first year students at university?

Natural aptitudes aside, I would argue that HL Chemistry is the more difficult course because of the greater number of skills you are required to learn when compared to HL Biology. That said, if you aren't good at memorizing, HL Biology will be unpleasant. If you have good study skills, rote practise of the defined set of chemistry problems can almost guarantee you a 7, while the greater range of the HL Biology syllabus opens you up to less certain outcomes from the exams.

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't really love chemistry, don't do Chemistry HL. As many posters above me have stated, it's known to be one of the most difficult IB exams. Biology HL is actually a very interesting class, regardless of whether you intend to do something biology-related in college or not.

Just to put this in perspective -- I will be majoring in chemical engineering starting this fall. The fact that I'm discouraging you from taking Chemistry HL should tell you something, haha!

• Like 1