Group 4 project this year

Abu

Okay, so we have our G4 project coming up and the planning is due next week. We were told today that the theme is going to be the , drumroll please... 'beach'. That's just so vague.

When I thought of beach, I kinda thought about pollution, because Singapore's beaches aren't exactly clean now. What do you guys reckon as some suitable subtopic? And btw, is it the same topic for all the guys in the M08 'xams or is it a school free choice?

Maybe do something with the beach sand?

You can compare how fine the sand is in different areas and compare them to the salidity or pH of the water, or the age of the beach.

Or, if people swim at the beaches with sunscreen on, you can test the water -- see how the water's different when there's more/less sunscreen in it.

I don't know.. some random ideas ^_^

• 3 weeks later...
Salt concentration sounds good, would be all right for the G4 project though? Seems a bit small.

Fun? Sure, if you count getting sunburnt as being fun...

The point of the G4 isn't to make large complicated science projects that prove the theory of life :heart: It's marked more on the actual planning and conducting of the lab.

Why don't you explore something about how they make artificial beaches? I'm sure that fits into one of the subjects somehow. Or the ecosystem of the beach, and the life forms there?

Think on the bright side. Beaches are fun to fool around in while conducting experiments. We have coffee, and the only thing you can get from that is a caffeine high.

Hey, I think that salt concentration might be an interesting one. You could even measure salt concentration using different methods. The first thoughts that came to mind were conductivity and refractrometry (basically using the method they use to find how much sugar is in something, but instead using it for salt...would that work?). All the experiments would be relatively easy to do but you could do a variety, and I think it would make a pretty good Group 4. If you're looking to make a groundbreaking discovery, this isn't the way to go; if you just want to complete the assignment, I think salt concentration could work.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you mean by your "theme"? I'm assuming that your school gives everyone a designated broad topic or something? Our school lets us choose pretty much anything reasonable, it doesn't have to fit into a certain category, but I think that might be a good idea because then it would at least narrow our choices...

• 1 month later...
Guest whatever

What about measuring the level of pollution at different beaches in your country?

by considering factors like PH , temperature etc... It would be cool if you take water samples and many things can go wrong and unpredicatable which is good for your evaluation .

Another suggestion can be the level of vegetation at different distances away from the sea . This would be cool as you can have random samplng which s already taught to you in the syllebus!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I was just curious to know what are some specific criteria for the Group 4 project. How many pages (and other formatting) is the report and/or what about a powerpoint for class? Any pointers /tips? I'm beginning my Group 4 project soon; it deals with cattails' growth and environmental factors that influence it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

=]

Hello all,

I was just curious to know what are some specific criteria for the Group 4 project. How many pages (and other formatting) is the report and/or what about a powerpoint for class? Any pointers /tips? I'm beginning my Group 4 project soon; it deals with cattails' growth and environmental factors that influence it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

=]

when i did mine last year (presence of coliform bacteria in differnt tryps of water- public lake, private stream, public river) and i made the power point form my group. i tookpictures of us conducting the expiraments and then used them as the backgrounds, and then placed our data and background information over the pics, just have to make sure you infomation is a color that is stronger than that of your pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would it be worth considering shore erosion or pollution within the water. for my group four project i studied the water flow path of water through a wetland. i really enjoyed my group 4 project, it was very stressful but overall i had a ball! you could also consider biodiversity? sorry, not an expert on beaches!

but singapore is beautiful, i have to say. i'm from australia so we have many beautiful eaches..there isn't much to study for us!

Our theme was "energy". Our group just did really easy stuff, like affect of temperature on rate of reaction >.< some other groups went all out though with some pretty cool experiments. One group did the mentos+coke thing.. i duno what they were testing for exactly but it was pretty funny to watch anyway.

Does anyone else think that the theme of environment isn't the best because more geared towards bio than chem or physics? I reckon thats a bit unfair for you guys.