New IB Curriculum - What do you guys think of it ?

Soy

New IB Curriculum.

Thats all i've been hearing about lately. I say that most of the 2007 - 2009 students are at a bit of a disadvantage because we're kind of considered the IB guinea pigs at this point. I'm a little scared, because i don't know what to exactly expect because i don't have the older generation and their previous knowledge at hand, to help me through this IB time of need.

My biggest problem, at the moment is the Drama Curriculum. My teacher said it was supposedly easier, because instead of being about the "journey", the whole idea of ending your IB career was to show how you got there, from the tears to the sweat to the friends you made on the way, they want to see how IB has built you up to be a stronger and more prepared student.

For the Bio concept, it seems to be the same, i mean the assessments i'm working on aren't much different than the assessment the 2008 kids had, so i don't except the exam to be much different, or the level of grading for the IA.

haha and bottom line, is the new ib logo, is very modern, haha i kind of miss the old logo and how standard and classic looking it is.

What are your views on the new curriculum.

To tell you the truth I haven't had enough classes to really notice what my friends, who have graduated from IB, tell me and what I am really taking. So far everything is just like a slow ease into IB stuff from grade 10.

I'm also curious if the other IB students notice a difference.

Well see the problem is that alot of the IB seniors this year, make it seem like the new system is going to be complete **** for our generation, but honestly i can't really tell how its going to work out, because we don't really get more than what our teachers tell us, and they get limited amount of information from IBO, as it is already. So i hope it won't be as hard as what the Seniors are making it out to be.

The only place where it's really affected me is Physics, because the grading criteria has really changed, as has the curriculum. I don't know if it's a change for better or worse though...it seems to be okay so far.

does the IB use grade curving or something? so, if the adjustment makes it hard for everyone, there'll still be the same percent of people who get a 7? if that even makes sense :D

To be honest the IBO website doesn't have any useful info for you.

As for curriculum changes, well they do revisions of syllabi once every couple of years so it's not that unusual. For my session we were the first session for the new Maths HL syllabus (which they've now changed AGAIN) and another subject, I can't remember.

It's not the end of the world you know. Chances are they'll lower mark boundaries for the first session of a new syllabus, especially if everyone do not so well, as a whole.

you have to do TOK questions in the exams

Really?? I haven't heard this! I know there's been a bit of revision with the TOK syllabus and there's a couple of more forms you have to do but an exam as well?? Crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

well, the response to the new IB curriculum varies from one to another, for example my physics teacher told me they mixed up the syllabus, especially at the mechanics part... he told me that the give the students something from the electricity and magnetism unit which the are supposed to take the next year.... which is kinda confusing. however my chemistry teacher said it is more organised than the old one. especially the new IB book for the 2007 specifications (Oxford). as for the practical and IA's they told me the IB just changed the naming from assesment criteria to assessment "aspects" and made slight differences... so relax new IB candidates its not that different and old graduates can still help ;)

Edited by Aboud

I have to say is suck ****, you have to do TOK questions in the exams

WAIT WAIT WHAT??????

I personally don't mind the no-calc part on the 2008 maths, because it means that it's not going to be intensive calculations.

The group 4 courses for me, is still last exams for 2008, so I benefit from the experience of teachers for over 3 years in this version of the syllabus. Not to mention past exams :D

Edited by Dooga

Tok in exam????? Huh? Even if I'm not affect, I want solid proof. How do you know? :D

The only difference I've heard for us May 2008 candidates is that in ToK presentation, there is now a big emphazis on 'real-life situations' and for Math, no calculator on paper 1. I've heard many teachers are a bit ticked off at this because the IBO won't state what kind of questions will show up on paper 1, not even examples so that they can prepare us. Meeeeeeh.

For the 2009, I have heard however that in Biology they are removing one option and changing it with another. For Psychology HL, they removed Humanistic Perspective (and I THINK replaced it with Social Psychology but I'm not sure) and added it as an option instead.

• 1 month later...
I out of boredom and curiousity checked out the new syllabus details and noticed that biology HL now bring up the concept of stem cells. :crying: :0 And the structure of the details are so much more detailed, organized and easier to follow.

Yeah, It is a lot easier I think. I have read 8 of the syllabus and I think the newer versions are actually more organized and it looks like they have a better detailed in each area. Hopefully, it doesn't affect me much and btw, is the thing about TOK true?? can we really have a trustful confirmation?? any official documentation?? as far as I read through TOK syllabus, it doesn't have anything relate to its exam or future exams.

About the ToK thing,

There was a rumour going on about this in mid-November spread by the current (now old) year 12s, and an IB ToK teacher @ my school said she'd heard nothing about an exam, and told us to not believe it for now. But I don't know.

I highly doubt this is true, as I think we would have heard more about it, and surely the teachers would've been notified!!!

About the ToK thing,

There was a rumour going on about this in mid-November spread by the current (now old) year 12s, and an IB ToK teacher @ my school said she'd heard nothing about an exam, and told us to not believe it for now. But I don't know.

I highly doubt this is true, as I think we would have heard more about it, and surely the teachers would've been notified!!!

Just to clarify, the "Diploma Guide for schools" on the IBO website, (Which I assume is recent) says:

"Assessment of performance in TOK

Each student is required to submit one

essay between 1,200 and 1,600 words,

from a list of 10 titles prescribed by the

IBO for each examination session. In

addition, the student makes a 10-minute

presentation to the class and writes a selfevaluation

report that includes a concise

description of the presentation and

answers to questions provided by the IBO."

Nothing about an exam... but I'm still not sure when this was published.

Having said that, I typed in "TOK changes" in the IBO search, and it came up with:

"Special Subject Seminar TOK in Los Angeles (IBNA)

Special Subject Seminar covers changes to the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) curriculum resulting from subject area revision. Teaching of the revised TOK course begins in September 2006.

Special subject seminars acquaint experienced teachers with new changes to the curriculum and are held once every seven years when the subject area is revised."

Still unclear...

Oops sorry I miss-read your post, I thought you said there will be an individual IB TOK exam (which was the rumour going on at my school), but I think what you're saying is that there will be ToK like questions on some exam papers... this could be the case.

I think there are already ToK questions on some exams, well at least in philosophy :bawling: