What should I do to my Sleep over Summer

biochem

I am in need of some good advice :)

I was wondering what you think I should do, from personal experience I hope, with ym sleep during summer.

*****Keep on staying up - keep the momentum of my sleeplessness (4-6 hours a night during school sometimes less)

*****Get lots of sleep, maybe 8 hours of day in order to build everything back up.

AFTER: during school time, I plan on sleeping 2 hours a night. so my question is, which one of the two options above is more conducive to my desire to stay up 2 hours daily.

Oh god, even I dont sleep 2 hours a night only. You are not going to do very bad if you plan on sleeping 2 hours only, that is insane! what the ****!

Get as much sleep as you can during the summer, you wont be able to keep it up from now until the end of next year.

I thought you were done with IB, lol.

The kids at my school all sleep about the same amount :/

I have been on 2-hour a day weeks before when I had those bad weeks, and I didnt have too much trouble getting everything done.

Well I have 2 sports next year, and they take up about 4 hours of work after school, along with my crazy school schedule 2 hours is like a feasible amount to get rest and get things done :/

oh and no..2010 May candidate :]

Edited by biochem

Sleep as much as possible now. The momentum might feel nice now but you'll get to a point where you body just can't take it anymore. Besides, not sleeping makes me look like a zombie and I am super superficial now so I sleep at least 6 hours. :P

Even during the school year, aim for 4 hours. That 2 hours makes a big difference. :)

Edit: you know you could just not to the crappy useless, homework pieces? Or do a crappy job since they don't matter anyway...

Edited by Irene

REM cycles go in blocks of 4 hours, meaning that you feel more rested if you have 4 hours of sleep, 8 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep. Waking up in the middle of a REM cycle (i.e. sleeping only 5 or 6 hours, or 2 hours) disrupts the body, and makes you feel more tired. That's why the recommended amount of sleep each night is 8 hours.

It's obvious that if you don't sleep enough, you can't process the information you learn or do well academically. Don't expect to do well next year in IB or in your final exams if you aren't sleeping enough. There is research from Harvard to back this up http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2007/02.15/09-nosleep.html , and if you search around the net I'm sure you can find other evidence to support it.

Basically, it's a choice between having extra-curriculars and doing well academically. Drop a sport, and use those hours when you could be playing it to sleep more.

REM cycles go in blocks of 4 hours, meaning that you feel more rested if you have 4 hours of sleep, 8 hours of sleep or 12 hours of sleep. Waking up in the middle of a REM cycle (i.e. sleeping only 5 or 6 hours, or 2 hours) disrupts the body, and makes you feel more tired. That's why the recommended amount of sleep each night is 8 hours.

It's obvious that if you don't sleep enough, you can't process the information you learn or do well academically. Don't expect to do well next year in IB or in your final exams if you aren't sleeping enough. There is research from Harvard to back this up http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2007/02.15/09-nosleep.html , and if you search around the net I'm sure you can find other evidence to support it.

Basically, it's a choice between having extra-curriculars and doing well academically. Drop a sport, and use those hours when you could be playing it to sleep more.

I'm going to be honest, your first paragraph just sounds like pseudo-science to me. Can you cite some research to back this up? I'm almost certain the vast majority of people are better off with 6 hours sleep than 4 hours.

I'm going to be honest, your first paragraph just sounds like pseudo-science to me. Can you cite some research to back this up? I'm almost certain the vast majority of people are better off with 6 hours sleep than 4 hours.

And from personal experience, I'm better off with 6 hours than with 8 hours. Naps about halfway through the day are also useful in tricking your body into thinking it's not tired. :P

Woops, I actually remembered it wrong. I watched it on Nat Geog ages ago. Actually, people go through 4 different REM phases a night, and not 4 hour blocks. They're basically different stages of sleep. http://www.dreamviews.com/sleepstages.php and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_sleep tell you more.

For optimal amounts of sleep and how sleep affects risk of cardivascular disease and mortality, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep#Optimal_amount_in_humans . Too much sleep can also cause a drop in life expectancy.

I actually went to bed early and had hoped for a great nights rest..

Got into this great bed that was soporific - it melted you into it.

10 hours of sleep, and the next day I failed to function.

I am not exaggerating it :D lol. I fell over in my bed for 3 hours during the day.

huge headache. I think this was my caffeine withdrawal.

but I just think its due to the large shift. from doing a tok essay for a week, to not doing anything but watching a movie for a day.

I definitely agree. Get sleep over summer as much as possible, then next year it will feel much lighter. Though, I tell myself. If I cant handle 4 years of IB with no sleep, how will I learn to specialize as a surgeon under 14 years of study. wrong mentality though. sleep now, not later :)

Its such a struggle to go to bed :D I am going to have to learn how :)

10 hours of sleep, and the next day I failed to function.

Not surprising...and you're absolutely correct as to why this happened. It's borderline impossible to go from virtual sleeplessness to ten hours and feel rested afterwards.

The most effective method to increasing the length and quality of your sleep is probably to slowly work your way into it. If you're getting four hours now, try sleeping for 4 and a half hours the next night. And so on. By doing so, you're essentially "training" your body to acquire normal sleeping habits.

So, at the end of the day, I agree with Aboo. You should be getting at least six hours each night, whether it's summer or not. Having a regular sleep cycle is incredibly beneficial for your overall health.

• 1 month later...

Your body needs at least 7-8 hours to recover completely.

So I'd advice you to forget the 2 hours sleep as you can cause serious damage to your neurological system, as well as it can more than double the risk of death from cardiovascular disease( A disease that has to do with your heart and your blood vessels).

But apart from all of these serious affects the 2 hours sleep can have on your body, after 1 month or 2 , you will feel so tired that you'll want to sleep a lot more and you won't be able to focus on your studies!

This summer don't sleep more than 8-9 hours a day because sleeping too much can also double the risk of death from cardiovascular disease.

P.S. Cardiovascular disease because of sleep is extremely rare :D

Edited by Smid1345