Popular Studying Techniques

Shorty

I just started using flash cards and chem_kid's idea of compression for a few of my subjects and let me tell you...it works wonders! When I have free time during classes I just take them out and sort-of play a study game with myself. It actually gets quite entertaining after awhile.

For those who have trouble studying I would definitely recommend it.

Hey, what are flash cards?! :D I'm interested!

Hey, what are flash cards?! :D I'm interested!

Get a card that's blank on both sides

On one side, write a question, on the backside, write the answer. When you study, you can turn all the cards to the question side and see how many you can answer. Put the questions u can answer away, and work on the ones u can't answer yet. It may take some work, but it's an effective way to learn =P

Unforunately my memory's not all that strong, so for subjects like bio, chem and history I'll talk aloud to myself and repeat what I know a couple of times before moving on to another unit or another topic. If I have a hard time remembering something, I'll write it out several times.

My math is rather weak, so I do the problems over and over and over and over again!

English I just read the books a second time, write out the main themes, couple of thesis statements, memorize a couple of quotes and I'm set! However, it we're doing a sight poem, then I'll just revise my literary terms the night before.

cue cards + stuff in your room - I'm totally going to try that out!

I'm definitely gonna try the flash cards idea...now I just have to find the time to do it.

Until this moment,the method that works best for me is writing things again and again.When I want to study for an exam I just write most of the things again (in an organized way,not like in my notes) and then I realize I learned it.

But now I'm trying to find more ways of learning ( I should ask my ToK teacher :D )

• 1 month later...

For tests in subjects like history, I've always prepared myself by writing and answering my own questions about the study material.

This study technique truly works for me, and I usually perform well on tests.

The only problem is that it takes so much time writing down all the answers for my questions, since many of them are pretty extensive. When I have a lot of school works to finish, I can't afford consuming that much time! Simply trying to focus on writing "faster" does not really work at all. :P

So. Does anyone have an idea about how you can cover and learn the same amount of material by writing more brief answers?

Or maybe a tip about a different study technique that could work better?

Thanks.

Well I myself don't really write anything, I just read various books to prepari myself. But one suggestion that might be pretty good is that before test you write in your own words a text where you sum up all the important stuff about the area you're preparing for. Especially in the actual IB where you normall know pretty well what questions there are going to be in your test I suggest choosing few areas of major focus and not prepare for everything possible.

However, I think that the most important thing is to actually understand the things you need to learn, not just remember. In history always try to link events, people, causes, effects etc. into each other. This makes it much easier at least for me than just trying to remember everythign. That is also what the IB wants you to do in tests.

Try http://quizlet.com/ which is the electronic flashcard! :D I haven't tried it yet but I just saw one of my old teachers and she told me's a really good site to revise definitions and such - you can make your own list of vocab and it gives you quizzes on it or something like that.

Quizlet is a tool for learning vocabulary

Here's how it works:

1. You enter a vocabulary list of any words or data you want. (ex. SAT words, history dates, French-Spanish translations, etc.)

2. Quizlet gives you a specialized learning mode, flashcards, randomly generated tests, and collaboration tools for classmates to help you study those words.

3. You ace your test.

Here are some neat features:

1. Quizlet keeps track of the words you know and only retests you on the ones you don't.

2. You can share your vocabulary sets with classmates and get email notification when others make sets for you.

3. You can import words from a file without having to retype them into Quizlet.

4. Quizlet has accent buttons for typing letters in foreign languages.

5. You can discuss sets (and gossip about teachers!) with classmates via instant discussion boxes.

6. Quizlet works in any language. If you can type it into your keyboard, you can study it on Quizlet.

What do people say about Quizlet?

Honestly, Quizlet is amazing! I used to never study but now I've been studying for school for at least an hour a day using this site. I've also been teaching myself Korean and Quizlet is making it easier than ever. It's so much faster than writing out all of the words onto flashcards and I like how it will only test you on the ones that you don't know. - xohprecious, member for 260 days

Quizlet's a great opportunity to study without having to write down anything. It's fast and easy. I used to have to write down flashcards or make up my own tests but now I don't have to. Because of Quizlet, I can do it all just on the computer. - sakurakino, member for 359 days

I first heard about this site in Junior Scholastic when I read about how you invented this to learn French vocabulary. I was very interested because this will probably save my life next year in 3H and help me expand my vocabulary with SAT words. - iheartpoetry15, member for 224 days

I turn on music and just read read read. As i study I associate the topic im studying with the song thats playing. So when Im sitting there taking the test i sing the song in my head and recall all of the information. Its really wierd, nobody else seems to get it.

About environment sometimes for me the best thing to do is to go somewhere where I really can't do anything else than read. I often read while listening to music. However, when I really want to focus on what I'm reading I take a nice warm bath, my book with me of course. For me it works really well, but don't know about others.

Guest benlumberkid

i like to first go home and take a nap for 2~3 hours

then i have some dinner and then sit down at my desk for intense studying

i always have my handy coca-cola beside me, sometimes coffee, or just anything with caffeine

then i study, study, study and usually sleep at 5 am or so

and if you're wondering, it got me the gold medal last year

Guest iber2468

I get about 2 hours of studying in 4 hours of procrastination, very good deal. I just do loads of practice questions b/c my teachers have the tendency to have minimalistic notes

• 2 weeks later...

English is not my best subject. Any advice how to improve it. I do not like literature so everytime I have to read my novel I tend to fall asleep. I also find it hard to concentrate when we discuss the novel in class. Any tips?

I am doing The Stranger which is much better. I did Shakespeare Richard the Third before. I guess I will take your advice and stop reading on my bed. Thanks for the advice. Some of my friends do not read the novels and just uses sparknotes.