Popular Studying Techniques

Shorty

None of these techniques really help me...flashcards especially take too much time. My favorite way to study is to pay attention in class, do all homework to the best of my ability (no bs, I know it's hard with an IB workload, but it helps), and then to study I tend to review the information quickly three or four times - summaries in books are great for this - and then all the information sticks in my head for the test. This works great for me because it takes little time and if you study a bit while you learn the material there is no cramming. :)

It depends on the subject. For subjects like biology, english, french, tok; I simply memorize everything. For subjects like math, chemistry, economics; first I do any reviews that have been provided, then I go over all the homework questions and memorize how to solve them. Bad technique, I know, but my memory is honestly the best thing I have going for me, and hey, it's worked so far :P !

• Like 1

About environment sometimes for me the best thing to do is to go somewhere where I really can't do anything else than read. I often read while listening to music.

What really helps is getting into an environment in which I can't get distracted as I tend to have a hard time concentrating on stuff for long periods of time. For math and economics, I make up generic problems to see whether or not I have trouble doing them and work it out by talking out loud. For other classes, like history and biology, I highlight the text while reading through the first time and then read again the second time but in more detail. It also helps a whole bunch when I have study sessions with other students.

• 2 weeks later...

It's useful for Economics if you just summarize the notes from your textbook and add in anything that the class notes mention which is not in the book. Memorize all the equations and definitions witch flashcards and be sure you know how to draw the proper graphs when needed. Which can be done by practicing...