Future IB Student

thalliday93

Hey everyone, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be taking the IB, but I'm a little doubtful about my subjects...

I wanted to know if anyone had a similar combination and how it's going for them, which subjects to steer clear of etc., just general advice :(

HL

English A1

French B

Chemistry

SL

Psychology

Mathematical Studies

Biology

Thanks everyone :S

I take Chemistry Higher, its ok, main advice, do not leave revision till the last minute. If chemistry stacks up its going to be ****. Make sure you understand every single concept before you move to the next.

I take Biology higher, but I can tell you, biology SL is obviously much easier, main tip, you have to understand Biology to actually know it.

Math, I know for a fact that Math studies is almost all Statistics. Math SL is mostly calculus and functions and a bit of stats. (although in the syllabus, calculus take 36% and stats 30%).

English is the same for everyone, regardless, so dont worry so much about that one. Just do what the teacher says and be very attentive with reading. Everyone gets a hand of this subject.

Chemistry, like already mention, is a subject that builds and builds on concepts. It requires of you to link the rudiments of the subject, with the most complex ideas. This will be your hardest subject. Its just a subject you have to go through hell with at first, and then looknig back you question why it was hard. Its the nature of chemistry. Its a very abstract subject.

Math studies wont be that hard, my friends find it easy. just dont slack cause its easy.

Biology is easy, you just need to spend time on the concepts. thats all, make sure you go through the course always revising the previous material.

French B, lots of reading. If you are not a native, you will find the course a constant working subject. You will just need to spend time on it, thats all :S

I am obviously then the only French HL student who hasn't had to read a single book all year in IB. I still do fine on the written exams, but I spent last summer in France so maybe that made up for it. It's like SL, with more verb tenses.

Biology SL isn't hard, some options are boring like ecology and some are irritating like evolution because it's all hypothesized evidence. Lab reports aren't that interetsing to write up once you're on the 15th one, especially if your experiment failed or went wrong. But the material is interesting because a lot of it is about humans and new diseases.

Math Studies is my favourite class because all the math is applicable to real life (except for logic and calculus) and it makes sense. Statistics aren't hard, you draw lots of graphs, calculate the mean/mode/median and do simple calculations.

Almost everyone in my class takes English A1 HL, the two WL's are irritating to write and the oral can be unnerving. But I honestly don't see a difference between SL and HL, other than that SL does one WL and had less time to write the final exams. Everyone in my class, including SL students, have the same workload. We'd all be on teh same level if one girl didn't speak broken English.

I also took English A1 HL, chem HL and bio SL.

Bio SL is super easy if you're good at memorization. Chem HL is pretty okay, not severely difficult but you do have to put a substantial amount of effort in. I disliked English because I hated writing sooo many essays, ha. But if you're good at that then it should be fine.

i do HL chem and english

chem is not too bad. just got on top of your work. but there is a big difference between SL and HL chem. english, you just need to read all the books and you will be fine.

i do standard french b. so if you are not really comfortable with french dont do higher. but if you semi-fluent go for it. i do maths SL . some of my friends do studies and it seems to be rather easy. even if you are bad at maths, you will find studies ok

• 2 weeks later...