Extra Classes

Hamartia

You haven't even started IB, and you're already thinking about getting tutors? If you think you're going to do that badly, then just do certificates. And you need tuition for 6 subjects? You can't be that horrible in all of them. It would also cost a lot of money. I have no tutors, I just go in at lunchtime or afterschool and ask my teachers for extra help. Your teachers don't do that? If not, wouldn't your friends be willing to help you out with a few areas that you don't understand?

If you have a very bad teacher and have not covered the entire syllabus when you should have/have covered it but don't understand it, then get a tutor. But be aware that unless your tutor has experience with the IB and is knowledgeable about the current syllabus, you will have to tell them what to teach you and make sure that you learn only what is required for the syllabus, as well as everything that is required for it.

I know that in India, tutoring is pretty common and the teaching style is way different from a European standpoint. I don't know to what extent IB affects that. The only class I have in common with you is math, and it's not overwhelming. Also, math is one of those subjects whose content a teacher can't really change. I think that you'd be better off struggling with each class, figuring out what you can and can't handle. Then you may want to look into tutoring.

Also, you might be overwhelmed in the first few weeks, but you've chosen IB so you have expectations and you know how hard it is. Give yourself some credit and some time to adjust

Would agree with those who have written above me. Choose according to your strengths and weaknesses, but I can tell you that many find maths and physics HL hard (at least in our school). A friend of mine also considers taking tuitions in India in summer break and she chose to get tuitions in these two subjects.

But really, try out first what fits better to you and honestly, you can manage IB without tuitions.

• 2 weeks later...