Math IA Topic Brainstorm

hxxx23

We are barely starting our Math IA SL and our teacher told us to come up with something personal. However, I was thinking about doing a probability method in the game go fish to be able to determine and choose the best chances of winning. I'm just kinda stuck how I could work with that since it is the only thing that comes to mind. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 7:24 PM, hxxx23 said:

We are barely starting our Math IA SL and our teacher told us to come up with something personal. However, I was thinking about doing a probability method in the game go fish to be able to determine and choose the best chances of winning. I'm just kinda stuck how I could work with that since it is the only thing that comes to mind. 

It sounds like you have a good idea for your Math IA! Using probability to analyze the game of Go Fish can be a fun and interesting topic. Here are a few suggestions for how you might approach this topic:

1. Begin by researching the basic rules of Go Fish and how the game is played. You may want to consider looking for online resources or consulting with other players to get a good understanding of the game.
  2. Next, consider the probability concepts that are relevant to the game of Go Fish. Some possibilities might include the probability of drawing a certain card from the deck, the probability of having a certain card in your hand, and the probability of a certain card being in another player's hand.
  3. As you work through the game, you could keep track of the probability of different outcomes and use this information to make decisions about which cards to ask for and when to try to "go fish." You could also consider developing a probability-based strategy for the game.
  4. You may want to consider doing some simulations or experiments to test your probability-based strategy and see how it performs. This could involve playing the game multiple times and keeping track of the results, or using a computer program to simulate the game.
  5. Finally, you could analyze your results and draw conclusions about the effectiveness of your probability-based strategy for the game of Go Fish. You could also consider comparing your strategy to other strategies and discussing the pros and cons of different approaches.

I do hope these suggestions will be helpful as you begin your Math IA! Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Love 1

It sounds like you have a great idea for your Math IA SL project, focusing on probability and the game of Go Fish. Here are a few suggestions for how you could approach this topic:

1. Start by doing some research on probability and how it applies to card games like Go Fish. This will give you a good foundation for understanding the concepts you'll be working with.

2. Consider creating a mathematical model to represent the probability of winning a game of Go Fish. You could use this model to simulate different scenarios and test your hypothesis about the best chances of winning.

3. Experiment with different strategies for playing Go Fish and analyze the results using your probability model. This will allow you to determine which strategies are most effective and why.

4. Consider incorporating real-world data into your project, such as analyzing the results of actual Go Fish games played by different people to see if your probability model holds up.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 4:48 PM, Vitalii said:

It sounds like you have a great idea for your Math IA SL project, focusing on probability and the game of Go Fish. Here are a few suggestions for how you could approach this topic:

1. Start by doing some research on probability and how it applies to card games like Go Fish. This will give you a good foundation for understanding the concepts you'll be working with.

2. Consider creating a mathematical model to represent the probability of winning a game of Go Fish. You could use this model to simulate different scenarios and test your hypothesis about the best chances of winning.

3. Experiment with different strategies for playing Go Fish and analyze the results using your probability model. This will allow you to determine which strategies are most effective and why.

4. Consider incorporating real-world data into your project, such as analyzing the results of actual Go Fish games played by different people to see if your probability model holds up.

thanks for the follow up, it is helpful!