A quick question

Our CAS coordinator (and I think also the IBO) says that you should write down every single CAS activity you do on your CAS diary.

Does somebody actually do that?

In our cases, we mostly have too many hours (over hundred, especially those who play instruments) and therefore just don't write some down.

It would take ages to keep track of them all (it would not be a diary, but a book) and we probably are too lazy to do that...

Are there any other people doing the same thing like we do?

Or is it not really allowed at all to not note down your CAS activities?

I mean we are at least not falsifying them...

Being honest, they're probably not going to come and research the times you didn't put down! P:

I went over with quite a few of mine to make sure that I looked suitably dedicated (and hey, why not, you write the same reflection at the end) but you're just trying to hit minimum requirements and then that's it. The more CAS activities you add on to your list the more reflections you have to write at the end of it all, which, in my humble opinion, is the biggest deterrent there is D8

If you're going to go over and note down everything and every hour you spent, I'd do it for the same activity to minimise reflecting time-- other than that, the IBO might think you just took a convenient post-25 hour hiatus in IB1 and resumed in IB2 :D The only crunch with that is that it looks a bit dodgy to people reading the dates... dangerously not 'in the spirit of CAS' to give up after the minimum requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

most people at my school don't keep any sort of diary or anything. i do though, just a table with date, activity, C A or S and numbrt of hours each time i have a netball game or a school production rehearsal etc.... it's just as much for my benefit so i can see what im doing and just keep track of everything, i don't know what the IBO says about it all but i don't think you need a hardout diary with lots of little details in it. also it would probably just be better if you didn't make any dates up or anything, because you could get caught up and confused and make mistakes that would be suspicious to the IBO, not that they're going to go reading through all your entries but it's just better to be safe than sorry. :angel:

• 2 weeks later...
most people at my school don't keep any sort of diary or anything. i do though, just a table with date, activity, C A or S and numbrt of hours each time i have a netball game or a school production rehearsal etc.... it's just as much for my benefit so i can see what im doing and just keep track of everything, i don't know what the IBO says about it all but i don't think you need a hardout diary with lots of little details in it. also it would probably just be better if you didn't make any dates up or anything, because you could get caught up and confused and make mistakes that would be suspicious to the IBO, not that they're going to go reading through all your entries but it's just better to be safe than sorry. :crying:

Damn.... we need such diary. When I submitted my last diary, our CAS coordinator said that it lacks a bit of detail as I have to specify on my feelings when I was doing CAS activities. He said that CAS is meant to improve ourselves and that we should always reflect on ourselves while doing CAS.

I still got a satisfactory so far, but still a bit annoying.

Our CAS coordinator (and I think also the IBO) says that you should write down every single CAS activity you do on your CAS diary.

In our cases, we mostly have too many hours (over hundred, especially those who play instruments) and therefore just don't write some down.

It would take ages to keep track of them all (it would not be a diary, but a book) and we probably are too lazy to do that...

I can understand why you wouldn't want to write down all those hours but I really think you should.

Then, you yourself would have a numerical sense of how many hours you've completed and you can mention it in your university applications etc.

Also, in my school they do not count some repetitive hours.

So, it's always better to be safe and record it all.

• 2 weeks later...
I can understand why you wouldn't want to write down all those hours but I really think you should.

Then, you yourself would have a numerical sense of how many hours you've completed and you can mention it in your university applications etc.

Also, in my school they do not count some repetitive hours.

So, it's always better to be safe and record it all.

Ah... in our school they count the repetitive hours. And the nature of learning to play an instrument is such that you have to dedicate at least 30 minutes a day for practising (or at least that's what my piano teacher makes me to do) and that gives you over 300 hours of creativity alone. Not funny when you have to hand in the CAS diary (speaking of which, I have to give in the second draft soon. Arrrgh....)

A lot of people at my school don't bother writing down everything, but they at least make sure they have a good variety of activities written down, spaced throughout the two years, and comfortably go over the 150 hours. Beyond that, I don't think you should need to worry.

At the end of the IB program, you have to fill out a CAS sheet with a list of all the activities you did, and the approximate number of hours you completed for each activity. This CAS sheet is new and was introduced this year for 2009 students.

So you must have some record of CAS hours, there's no need to keep counting after you complete 150 hours. Some people in my school kept counting because there's a CAS prize at the end of the year, but others didn't. You shoudl have a record up to 150 hours at least.

• 4 weeks later...

well i think it is encouraged. in our school we have a reflection form for every CAS activity so it is easier for the cas coordinator

and also for us to keep track of our works. we just reflect on how it is related to cas and what we have learned.

we also have documentations.

i think it is best to keep record of it so that you dont cram or get lost in the end

good luck!

• 1 month later...

We also have a CAS Diary system but I found it to laborous and manual to use because I do about 60 CAS activities. Instead, I stopped using the diary and I made my own high-tech database that registers and calculates CAS totals automatically and produces reports on each activity whenever I need it so it is very useful... If you want a copy of it to use... E-mail me at ***** and I'll organise one for you.

Edited by Aboo
No posting of email addresses

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the CAS diary might seem like a waste of time, as for right now. But, in the end of the year you will realize that it actually helps a lot when writing your refrective overall summary about each of your activities done throughout your two years of IB. And yes, I have a CAS diary, I write in it at the end of each month (or you can do it in the end of each activity). Just write in detail about what you were doing and how you accomplished what you did.. etc.

• 7 months later...

Ours is an online system which means that they KNOW WHEN WE WRITE EVIDENCE LAST-MINUTE :no:

But I think "all CAS activities" just means all the activities you want to log down as CAS; surely you're allowed to do other things that could count for CAS but you choose not to. And like people say, it's not like they'd track you down and find out what you've done over IB and strike you with lightning for it, since the purpose of the program is more to get us to be more balanced etc and they only really care that we fulfill the minimum.

Ya I have the same same problem!

You see, I'm done with CAS thank goodness, and handed in my reflections, but I had the same question as you: are you supposed to write diary entries for every single time you did a CAS activity, or just overall reflections at the end of your entire CAS journey (not meaning to make it sound romantic or anything, lol :no: ).

Well as no one knew the answer to my question I decided to play safe and just write a diary entry for every time I did a CAS activity, trying to dig up something about how I felt about doing it, what I learnt etc. Sure, there were times I would have a huge backlog but once you get on a roll you suck out these diary entries like nothing.

And then I did overall reflections at the end for Creativity, Action and Service separately.

I think I did more than necessary but I just wanted to play safe. I think that IBO should provide more detailed guidelines about CAS for students, as in practical guidelines that answer this sort of question. Some students really can't be bothered but others actually stress about not having a clue about how to do this thing. And it doesn't help if your school nd CAS coordinators do not really have a clue either... honestly there's been times I've thought CAS was added like as an afterthought by the IBO, hurriedly, without much guidance and thought as to what CAS means for you when you actually have to do it.

sorry for rambling. :P

• 2 weeks later...