Is it normal to have only 6 IB people in your entire school?

jmartin

I'm in a school of around 1000 students, and we have 10 IB students graduating this year, and 10 the year behind us. There's only 3 certificate candidates graduating this year.

IB at my school isn't particularly popular, because most people prefer to take AP courses because they're shorter and easier. Also, we only offer Maths SL, so a lot of people are driven to take AP Calculus AB, which has a conflict with IB Maths SL in the schedule, meaning that those people can't do IB. It's a shame really; a lot of brilliant students who would have done really well ended up going for a couple of AP courses instead of IB, and I imagine that that was part of the issue. We also don't offer IB Physics, which is a turn off for some people, though you can take AP Physics and still complete IB as long as there's enough demand for it.

• 5 weeks later...

Depends on what other education programs your school has. In our school we have NCEA and IB, and the majority do IB, as it is recognized globally, unlike NCEA which is only helpful if you want to stay in New Zealand. Usually the people who can handle the burden that IB leaves you, choose IB over NCEA, which is the 'easier option' out of the two.

• 3 weeks later...

~130 students in the IB diploma and ~115 in pre-ib. On a general scale it may seem like many students are enrolled in the programme, however our school population is 1500 students, which is about ~8.3% of the student body in the IBDP, population is a primary factor. Also we have a lot of depth and variety in IB classes to suit many students' needs.

Edited by -Carl