vieu

So I'm doing a math EE and I my topic is stress on students and their coping habits.  My problem is with the topic of my EE, I'm concerned about it because with the evidence and data that I've collected for my research, I'm not able to actually calculate any math with it. So I've come to the conclusion that I need to change the topic entirely to allow me to do some actually math in my data. I remember reading somewhere that math EE's can revolve around statistics and so my research that I've collected are mainly just statistics on student stress but I cannot do any actual math with it because they are stand alone statistics.  So the advice that I'm looking for is whether I should switch my topic or not, keep in mind that I have not started actually writing my EE yet and the rough draft is due in 3 days. There might have been "slight" procrastination; below is my data that I collected so that you can see what I'm working with.

• teens reported that their stress levels during the school year far exceeded what they believe to be healthy (5.8 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale) and topped adults' average reported stress levels (5.8 for teens vs. 5.1 for adults). Even during the summer — from Aug. 3 to Aug. 31, 2013, when interviewing took place — teens reported their stress during the prior month at levels higher than what they believe is healthy (4.6 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale).
  • Many teens also reported feeling overwhelmed (31 percent) and depressed or sad (30 percent) as a result of stress. More than one-third of teens reported feeling tired (36 percent) and nearly one-quarter of teens (23 percent) reported skipping a meal due to stress.
  • Few teens said their stress was on the decline — only 16 percent reported that their stress decreased in the past year — while approximately twice as many said their stress increased in the past year (31 percent) or believed their stress level will increase in the coming year (34 percent).
  • Nearly half of teens (42 percent) reported they were not doing enough or were not sure if they were doing enough to manage their stress, and more than one in 10 (13 percent) said they never set aside time to manage stress.
  • On average, teens reported sleeping far less than the recommended amount — 7.4 hours on school nights and 8.1 hours on non-school nights, compared with the 8.5 to 9.25 hours recommended by the National Sleep Foundation. Nearly one in five teens (18 percent) said that when they do not get enough sleep, they are more stressed and 36 percent of teens reported feeling tired because of stress in the past month.
  • one in five teens (20 percent) reported exercising less than once a week or not at all. Teens who reported high stress during the past school year also said they spend an average of 3.2 hours online a day, compared with two hours among those reporting low stress levels during the past school year.
  • Of the 23 percent of teens who reported skipping a meal in the prior month due to stress, nearly one in four (39 percent) said they do this weekly or more.
  • Methodology The Stress in America survey was conducted online by Harris Interactive Inc., on behalf of APA between Aug. 3 and 31, 2013, among 1,950 adults ages 18 or older and 1,018 teens, ages 13 to 17, who reside in the United States. This online survey was not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimates of theoretical sampling error could be calculated. 
  • The study shows that there is growing awareness many subgroups of youth experience high levels of chronic stress, to the extent it impedes their abilities to succeed academically, compromises their mental health functioning, and fosters risk behavior. Furthermore, this chronic stress appears to persist into the college years, and researchers warns it may contribute to academic disengagement and mental health problems among emerging adults.
  • About half (48%) of those surveyed reported completing at least three hours of homework a night, with girls 40 percent more likely to report three or more hours of homework a night than boys.
  • Participants demonstrated a relatively strong academic performance, with girls reporting an average GPA of 3.57, higher than boys’ average of 3.34. Students showed high levels of motivation for academic achievement, with an average valuation of 2.35 on a scale of 0 (least) to 3 (most). On average, girls were found to be more motivated in this regard than boys (2.48 vs. 2.22).
  • Nearly half (49%) of all students reported feeling a great deal of stress on a daily basis and 31 percent reported feeling somewhat stressed. Females reported significantly higher levels of stress than males (60% vs. 41%). 
  • A substantial minority, 26 percent of participants, reported symptoms of depression at a clinically significant level.

6 hours ago, vieu said:

So I'm doing a math EE and I my topic is stress on students and their coping habits.  My problem is with the topic of my EE, I'm concerned about it because with the evidence and data that I've collected for my research, I'm not able to actually calculate any math with it. So I've come to the conclusion that I need to change the topic entirely to allow me to do some actually math in my data. I remember reading somewhere that math EE's can revolve around statistics and so my research that I've collected are mainly just statistics on student stress but I cannot do any actual math with it because they are stand alone statistics.  So the advice that I'm looking for is whether I should switch my topic or not, keep in mind that I have not started actually writing my EE yet and the rough draft is due in 3 days. There might have been "slight" procrastination; below is my data that I collected so that you can see what I'm working with.

• teens reported that their stress levels during the school year far exceeded what they believe to be healthy (5.8 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale) and topped adults' average reported stress levels (5.8 for teens vs. 5.1 for adults). Even during the summer — from Aug. 3 to Aug. 31, 2013, when interviewing took place — teens reported their stress during the prior month at levels higher than what they believe is healthy (4.6 vs. 3.9 on a 10-point scale).
  • Many teens also reported feeling overwhelmed (31 percent) and depressed or sad (30 percent) as a result of stress. More than one-third of teens reported feeling tired (36 percent) and nearly one-quarter of teens (23 percent) reported skipping a meal due to stress.
  • Few teens said their stress was on the decline — only 16 percent reported that their stress decreased in the past year — while approximately twice as many said their stress increased in the past year (31 percent) or believed their stress level will increase in the coming year (34 percent).
  • Nearly half of teens (42 percent) reported they were not doing enough or were not sure if they were doing enough to manage their stress, and more than one in 10 (13 percent) said they never set aside time to manage stress.
  • On average, teens reported sleeping far less than the recommended amount — 7.4 hours on school nights and 8.1 hours on non-school nights, compared with the 8.5 to 9.25 hours recommended by the National Sleep Foundation. Nearly one in five teens (18 percent) said that when they do not get enough sleep, they are more stressed and 36 percent of teens reported feeling tired because of stress in the past month.
  • one in five teens (20 percent) reported exercising less than once a week or not at all. Teens who reported high stress during the past school year also said they spend an average of 3.2 hours online a day, compared with two hours among those reporting low stress levels during the past school year.
  • Of the 23 percent of teens who reported skipping a meal in the prior month due to stress, nearly one in four (39 percent) said they do this weekly or more.
  • Methodology The Stress in America survey was conducted online by Harris Interactive Inc., on behalf of APA between Aug. 3 and 31, 2013, among 1,950 adults ages 18 or older and 1,018 teens, ages 13 to 17, who reside in the United States. This online survey was not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimates of theoretical sampling error could be calculated. 
  • The study shows that there is growing awareness many subgroups of youth experience high levels of chronic stress, to the extent it impedes their abilities to succeed academically, compromises their mental health functioning, and fosters risk behavior. Furthermore, this chronic stress appears to persist into the college years, and researchers warns it may contribute to academic disengagement and mental health problems among emerging adults.
  • About half (48%) of those surveyed reported completing at least three hours of homework a night, with girls 40 percent more likely to report three or more hours of homework a night than boys.
  • Participants demonstrated a relatively strong academic performance, with girls reporting an average GPA of 3.57, higher than boys’ average of 3.34. Students showed high levels of motivation for academic achievement, with an average valuation of 2.35 on a scale of 0 (least) to 3 (most). On average, girls were found to be more motivated in this regard than boys (2.48 vs. 2.22).
  • Nearly half (49%) of all students reported feeling a great deal of stress on a daily basis and 31 percent reported feeling somewhat stressed. Females reported significantly higher levels of stress than males (60% vs. 41%). 
  • A substantial minority, 26 percent of participants, reported symptoms of depression at a clinically significant level.

i don't mean to be rude but why did you choose maths? its hard to write an EE on one i think english or a humanity would be easier to finish and collect data for at least that was the case for everybody i know but obviously it's up to you. if you really want to stick with maths as the ee subject then you'd maybe have to change the topic perhaps you should look at past samples and decide like that since they would be great as examples or ask your supervisor about how you can involve maths in something related to statistics.

7 hours ago, faten said:

i don't mean to be rude but why did you choose maths? its hard to write an EE on one i think english or a humanity would be easier to finish and collect data for at least that was the case for everybody i know but obviously it's up to you. if you really want to stick with maths as the ee subject then you'd maybe have to change the topic perhaps you should look at past samples and decide like that since they would be great as examples or ask your supervisor about how you can involve maths in something related to statistics.

Yea none taken, I picked  maths because although psychology was my first choice, I didn't take it because I'm in STEM and my school doesn't allow STEM kids to take psych. and they didn't recommend I do a psych EE because I didn't take it. I didn't want to do geo, history, or english and physics was apparently super hard to do. My friend also suggested doing math because apparently it was one of the topics that gave out better marks? Something like that; either way I don't really think I can switch anymore since the rough draft is due in 2 days

On 10/13/2021 at 4:28 PM, vieu said:

Yea none taken, I picked  maths because although psychology was my first choice, I didn't take it because I'm in STEM and my school doesn't allow STEM kids to take psych. and they didn't recommend I do a psych EE because I didn't take it. I didn't want to do geo, history, or english and physics was apparently super hard to do. My friend also suggested doing math because apparently it was one of the topics that gave out better marks? Something like that; either way I don't really think I can switch anymore since the rough draft is due in 2 days

oh I see, you're probably good at maths anyways so I don't think will struggle with it as an ee subject. good luck!