Comparative Essay Structure (for WL) - Which one?!

Chelleee

hey there!

I'm kind of confused over how to structure my essay:

#1-

Intro

Work 1

Work 2

Concl.

or

#2-

Intro

POC (point of comparison) 1

POC 2

POC 3

i had originally structured my world lit using #2, however when my teacher read my draft she told me that i should change the structure and stick to one work to "drill deep" before moving onto the second...(by the way: my topic is how the playwrights have used symbolism to represent slavery and freedom)

so my question is this, do i follow my english teachers advice? or should i take the risk and attempt to structure my essay so that it doesn't sound like a ping-pong game (constant back and forth momentum)

oh and lastly, should i use footnotes or use "insert quote here" (p. 45)? (i think you're meant to use the same formatting as your EE - APA so I'm really not sure here)

THANK YOU! :unsure:

Edited by Chelleee

I did it #2 way, and 'insert quote here' (p. 45) way, worked fine for me.

oh ok,

quick question though:

around how many paragraphs did you end up with in the body (i'd assume 6: 3 POC * 2 texts)

and also around how many points did you have in each one?

my main problem is that I'm not sure what exactly my POC's should be...

from my topic (how symbolism has been used to show freedom and slavery through the orchard and piano)

1. freedom

2. slavery

3. @_________@?

any advice?

& thanks for the reply!

oh ok,

quick question though:

around how many paragraphs did you end up with in the body (i'd assume 6: 3 POC * 2 texts)

and also around how many points did you have in each one?

my main problem is that I'm not sure what exactly my POC's should be...

from my topic (how symbolism has been used to show freedom and slavery through the orchard and piano)

1. freedom

2. slavery

3. @_________@?

any advice?

& thanks for the reply!

I'm sorry, after opening my world lit after a year, I realised that I actually did it the #1 way, as in book 1 and book 2.

I had 3 different arguments for one and 4 for the other (I did Houseboy and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich). One argument per paragraph, total of 9 and 1501 words.

Can't help you with finding the third point, sorry.

How funny,just today we started a writing cass all about APA,MLA,writing all that stuuff and i asked my teacher about the world lit which way i asked the EXACT way she said try to do it more of point one and how its related to both of them point two ....point three, rather than work one work two and she empahsized on trying to do it that way rather than the otehr so yea hope this helps

The IB English guide (Chapter Five) says this:

Students often ask how they should structure their comparison: dealing with the first text, then the second,or taking each point in turn and illustrating it in relation to both texts? Much depends upon the nature of the thesis or topic. A 'three-pronged' thesis may lend itself to the point-by-point comparison of texts. A comparison of key scenes is successfully treated by by developing discussion on one scene and then the other, but keeping the comparison in mind throughout.

If the lines of argument and points of comparison are clearly drawn in the introductory paragraph, and the subsequent paragraphs follow those lines closely, the comparison can be kept to dealing with the first text, then the second. The texts can then be brought together, and the danger of producing two mini-essays is avoided.

Brief references using 'cohesive devices' or 'hooks' such as "Unlike in Madam Bovary..." or "Whereas in Chronicle of a Death Foretold...", help keep the comparison in mind when dealing with the other text.

There is no one ideal formula. The assignment that is persuasive and effective, whichever way it is structure, with the line of argument driving the writing, and quotations supporting it, will be the successful one."

Just make sure you compare and contrast throughout, don't just write analysis on one book and then the other.

Edited by Vvi
  • Like 1

ack easier said than done,

but thanks heaps!

i'll give it my best shot even though apparently the draft i gave her was my "final" D:

but i'll try apply some of the things you guys mentioned without ruining my essay completely (very likely <3)

anyway,

THANK YOU ALL!

HEAPS APPRECIATED ^^!

Sorrrrrry waitt today we had the talk again the teacher said do Work 1 , Work 2 then before the conclusion or within the conclusion do the difference !! Sorry to write the previous one!

:wtf: don't be sorry! any response is a good response!

and i'll keep that in mind, since apparently i've already handed in my "final draft" - i thought we got 2 drafts?!? - meaning if she finds anything wrong with it...i'm on my own D:

anyway thank you so so so so soo much n good luck with your WL!...actually...IB in general >.>;

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't started, but i asked my friend and he did number 2 because apparently it was easier.

wow i've seen you around the forums heaps today xP

it seems like you've been to every topic i go to.

and really!? number 2 is apparently much harder because you have to distinguish similarities and differences between the two to make the points of comparison :hmmph:

is your friend a genius at english by any chance?

and i need to do some mass editing on my WL, teacher didn't like it D: and she said my essay structure was horrible >.>; but i already knew that :D

uhmmm... I would do (and I did for my WL1, I didn't do WL2) the second option.

Our teacher gave us a site,

http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/academic...integrating.htm

this one, if it helps you, and she said that she would prefer the second option.

But to be honest, I did them both half-half ways.

You find similarities and differences, and compare the works by different paragraphs though, giving different examples,

but I think this you already knew.

Mine was something like the following:

Title: "Both Laura Esquivel and Tahar Ben Jelloun develpops her/his characters through his use of setting in their novels 'Like Water for Chocolate' and 'The Sand Child'." (might be some kind of wrong title though)

1. Intro

2. Body

+setting can tell a character's personality

-setting tells the character(1) personality in LWFC

-setting tells an opposing character (2) personality in LWFC

-a character(A) in Sand Child seems to be very similar to the character (2) in LWFC, their rooms seem similar as well

+setting can also show character relationships

-setting shows the relationship between character (3) and (4) in LWFC

-setting shows the relationships between character (B) and character © in Sand Child

3. Conclusion

Of course, this is not really perfect and need refining, but hope it helps.

hey thanks so much!

it will definitely help me when i begin to re-write my world lit (draft wasn't too good :D)

and super thanks for the brief outline of your essay, i just had it when people go essay writings so easy! you have an intro then a body where you put all your information in and a concl.

and i just stare at them and go, thanks....*mutters- for nothing.

but right now i'm focusing on my IOP (it's next week) *begin anxiety attack

hey there!

I'm kind of confused over how to structure my essay:

#1-

Intro

Work 1

Work 2

Concl.

or

#2-

Intro

POC (point of comparison) 1

POC 2

POC 3

i had originally structured my world lit using #2, however when my teacher read my draft she told me that i should change the structure and stick to one work to "drill deep" before moving onto the second...(by the way: my topic is how the playwrights have used symbolism to represent slavery and freedom)

so my question is this, do i follow my english teachers advice? or should i take the risk and attempt to structure my essay so that it doesn't sound like a ping-pong game (constant back and forth momentum)

oh and lastly, should i use footnotes or use "insert quote here" (p. 45)? (i think you're meant to use the same formatting as your EE - APA so I'm really not sure here)

THANK YOU! :D

i did the #2 as all my teachers in english told me that it is the best one to bring the marks up

:)

It depends on your type of thesis and your writing style. If you're directly comparing the two pieces in a commentary line-by-line style then merging the two works would be best. While if you're abstracting a little more and focusing on arguing with general concepts like themes, then maybe focusing on developing one work at a time would be best.

mmm i see what you mean,

ok! i'll give it all a shot...after i get this stupid iop over and done with

serious lack of sleep here

oh well~ red bull :(

thanks for your replies :) i'm sure i'll be referring back to these responses when my world lit. panic attack kicks in :(

oi wheres my red bull at?? :rant:

hey good luck with WL and IOP aye...

ALMOST DONE!!

AND THEN NEVER HAVE TO WORRY BOUT IOP AGAIN!!!

75 DAYS TILL GERMANS OVER!!!!