TOK harder than other IB subjects?

Jakebert

So we got our marks back today for our presentations (they were mock, of course) and my TOK teacher gave us this spiel about how TOK is graded way harder than all the other courses and she's never given a ninety (which is an A for the essay) to anyone. Is this just my school/my teacher or is TOK generally this screwy?

Also, why is an 85 a C? Is it just me or does that seem weird?

85 for a C is not correct, that's your teacher's grading of it.

ToK isn't harder than other subjects, and it's what you make of it that'll make it easier or harder. Some people can not understand the principles that will effectively make it harder.

Also the ability to bull**** helps boosting your ToK grade.

I think ToK's difficulty really depends in the person. (By the way, never ever get to a conclusion like that in a ToK essay!!!) People who have the features of a critical thinker usually do a lot better than people who just don't have them. Of course you can develop them, but some people always seem to get the hang of it easier than others. I think that your teacher is just trying to scare you, but don't worry! Just try your best and prove her wrong, ToK is not worth that much points in the end, anyways.

TOK was definitely one of the easier IB courses. It's really just talking about your perspective on different issues.

I agree with you. We just need to produce an essay and play with words. Talk about the Area of Knowledge and ways of knowing... personal experience that is related, give examples...and so forth.

As for the presentations, it is just another form of debate but it is in TOK version.

When I started IB in 2007, ToK used to be the easiest subject; however, after the summer break, our teacher was replaced and the class figured out that we are far behind what we should be at this stage. The new teacher is experienced in IB and now we have too much to do in ToK. So for me, I would say ToK is one of the hardest subjects, but this is not the way it is meant to be though.

ToK at our school is total BS. The teacher randomly assigns us grades regardless of how much we participate, and check this: I accidentally turned in hw from another class one time, and I got full credit. The other IB teachers must hate him for it; he doesn't even do his job. I wish they had IB Hindi...because that's what I do in tok anyway. And I have an A in the class. It's a waste of time for us, although I don't know about other IB shools.

ToK is balancing on the border between really useful/funny/interesting and complete rubbish.

But I'm getting pretty good results this far, it probably depends on the teacher. There's a joke in my year that my group is the one that misses the most lessons, but still learns the most.

I feel like ToK is an easy subject. I don't have to do homework in it and my teacher still tells me I'm doing good and all my essays ends with a comments such as "good".

What I have done is reading through the chapters we've had in ToK, added my own perspective to whatever individual work we do, and I've done ok. I feel "adding your own personal perspective" should be translated to "agreeing with the book and adding a bit of ambuiguity about the surenss of the matter" should also go in here.

These chapters are all easily read (to me at least) and pretty understandable. They are also relatively short (it's not a Morris and Murphy history chapter or anything...)

ToK at our school is total BS. The teacher randomly assigns us grades regardless of how much we participate, and check this: I accidentally turned in hw from another class one time, and I got full credit. The other IB teachers must hate him for it; he doesn't even do his job. I wish they had IB Hindi...because that's what I do in tok anyway. And I have an A in the class. It's a waste of time for us, although I don't know about other IB shools.

haha maybe I was a bit harsh when criticizing our teacher. He is pretty bad, because he just reads the tok book, but we actually are assigned work; it's just that no one cares enough to actually do it, so they turn in other class's homework and get full credit i.e. a friend of mine turned in french hw once. As for learning the material, there doesn't really seem like there are a whole lot of difficult concepts to learn, and our teacher told us that our final exam is going to be a simple oral on our tok essay. It's pretty much a self-taught class that is total BS in that regard. But I must ask, how it would become difficult later on?

• 1 month later...
So we got our marks back today for our presentations (they were mock, of course) and my TOK teacher gave us this spiel about how TOK is graded way harder than all the other courses and she's never given a ninety (which is an A for the essay) to anyone. Is this just my school/my teacher or is TOK generally this screwy?

Also, why is an 85 a C? Is it just me or does that seem weird?

YEAh i agree with your teacher it is the hardest subject.. however our teacher said that 85 isnt a C it is more like an A or B :D but im not sure... im just hoping for a B in TOK and B in EE :) ahah good luck